Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-22, 14:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
All said, I have long felt that not eating gluten allows me to tolerate limited dairy much better.

I get more nutrition from dairy than I ever did from stuff with gluten
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-22, 07:42

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

My mother had always had issues with milk. When mom would have an upset stomach as a child, grandma would always give her milk to drink because she believed it would settle her stomach. It didn't - mom would just start "burping up" the milk. (At least that's how mom described it - sounds like it was not-quite-vomiting, but she'd very mildly regurgitate sour milk into her mouth) Not wanting to outwardly disobey her mother by refusing the milk, she eventually started hiding when she had an upset stomach, so that grandma wouldn't try to get her to drink milk to settle her stomach. If grandma found out she had an upset stomach and gave her milk anyway, she'd wait until Grandma was out of the room and just pour the milk in the chamber pot because she knew by the taste of sour milk coming back up that the milk wasn't helping at all.

As as adult, she apparently did fine with milk (likely in limited amounts) for many years, but at some point in her 30's or 40's it started to bother her again.

I don't know if the lactose bothered her or not, but what she eventually figured out was that if she used canned milk to make a cooked product, then she could tolerate it, but not uncooked canned milk. I don't know if the canning process (evaporating the milk AND the high heat canning process), plus cooking it again (for instance when making pumpkin pie) affected the lactose content, casein content, or perhaps the protein structure.

She'd had erratic gastric troubles for decades. At one point she was told she had a spastic colon. Later they said it was colitis. Another time they said it was irritable bowel.

She'd had allergy testing done due to chronic congestion and post nasal drainage. They couldn't find anything she was allergic to, and finally came to the conclusion that she was allergic to herself. (??? Sounds crazy to me too) Since there were no allergies shown by the testing, they gave her allergy shots supposedly based on serum made from her own body (saliva? blood? phlegm? I can't remember what they used). At this point, and with a couple of her grandchildren having been properly diagnosed with auto-immune conditions, I suspect what she really had was an auto-immune condition.

It's entirely possible that since they didn't test for food allergies, she might have also had a gluten sensitivity , since she ate bread and other wheat based products nearly every single day of her life -Except[U] for when her erratic gastric troubles became so bad that she would stop eating everything other than white rice and boiled potatoes for a few days until her gut settled down. (coincidentally enough, both rice and potatoes happen to be Gluten free)

Since she died a few years ago (and had dementia/Alzheimers the last decade or more of her life) it's not possible to find out more about her symptoms and gastro history at this point, but I'm beginning to suspect that there was some kind of link between eating gluten, and having some sort of dairy sensitivity (although I always thought it was protein related, rather than lactose related), with a very likely auto-immune condition confusing things even more.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-22, 07:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

"Milk and Cookie disease" Milk and Cookie disease
I had a scoop of whey protein before bedtime and nearly drowned in all the mucus that caused all night long. I've been gluten free for over a decade. Dairy has caused issues for lots of us. There was someone here who gave up dairy and her asthma got much, much better.

I keep kidding myself that I'm ok with dairy. It seems like yogurt isn't too bad of a problem as long as I keep eat it earlier in the day and not too much. Other than horrid constipation, it seems like Jarlsberg cheese isn't bad. Who knows, maybe some of those dairy proteins are partially changed by fermentation.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Aug-31-22 at 07:52.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 08:39

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

My DW has a problem with A1 dairy, so A2 half-and-half and most imported European cheese is no problem.

Since I almost eliminated wheat, I haven't had a milk problem, and it was severe before that. I use organic cream in my coffee and tea (A1 I'm sure).

I buy A2 whey (from Jersey Cows) so my DW can enjoy it too.

I suppose there are different reasons for different people.

I'm glad I found what works for us.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 09:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There was someone here who gave up dairy and her asthma got much, much better.
It turned out that my "chronic asthma" requiring multi-daily & emergency puffers was really allergic asthma. Once I got rid of chronic grain & dairy consumption, it along with excess mucus & sinusitis disappeared unless I encountered cigarette smoke, diesel fumes or certain perfumes/chemicals/fragrances that would trigger an attack. Now I can occasionally handle yogurt with live cultures as long as I eat it as part of a meal with some fiber, not alone as a snack on an empty stomach. It seems that the fermentation and vegetables, blueberries &/or nuts slow down digestion enough so it doesn't overwhelm my system.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 06:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Since going on the Wahls Protocol I discovered my autoimmune is triggered by lectins. But fermenting and pickling makes them edible.

But so many vegetable ones I can't approach routinely. No wonder I didn't eat my vegetables!