Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 06:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default No smoke without willpower - which method is best to help give up?

Although this article is aimed at the British public, I thought it might prove to be helpful to anyone in their fight to overcome their nicotine addiction:

The Telegraph
London, UK
17 February, 2006

Many people will kick the habit in the run-up to the smoking ban, but which method is best? Rachel Forder reviews the options available, from Zyban to acupuncture

According to Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), many people will give up the gaspers as a result of this week's ban on smoking in pubs, restaurants and most workplaces.

"Ten million adults in England are smokers," says Amanda Sandford, the charity's research manager. "The experience in Ireland has taught us that people do give up smoking because of this legislation. We anticipate that at least 700,000 will give up in the run-up to the law being implemented and more will follow next summer when the ban comes into place."

About 70 per cent of smokers want to give up. And the reasons are obvious. As well as improving your health - one year after stopping, the risk of having a heart attack drops by 50 per cent, and the risk of cancer falls every year of not smoking - you will be able to taste food again, your skin will be smoother and your breath will no longer smell. You will also save a significant amount of cash - smoking 10 cigarettes a day for 20 years costs £18,240.

So, if the proposed smoking ban has persuaded you to give up, what is the best approach?

"People's smoking habits vary enormously and what suits one person won't necessarily work for another," says Sandford. "However, the best advice is to act immediately and, regardless of the technique you are considering, seek help from a health professional. You are least likely to succeed if you simply throw away your packet and go it alone. Either call a helpline, consult your GP or ask a pharmacist."

Nicotine replacement therapy

Available on prescription and from pharmacists, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) comes in different forms, including chewing gum, lozenges, skin patches, tablets, nasal sprays and inhalers. They all work by releasing small amounts of nicotine into the bloodstream, helping smokers to overcome withdrawal symptoms. According to the independent charity Quit, studies have found that smokers who use NRT are twice as likely to give up successfully compared with someone who tries to quit using only willpower.

"If you are considering using nicotine patches, it is important to talk to your GP first," says Sandford. "There is a misconception that you may overdose on the patches, but in fact, many people underuse them and then abandon them because they are struggling to give up."

Gum, tablets and lozenges come in different strengths, allowing you to manage your cravings. However, some taste bitter and can cause irritation of the mouth and throat. Nasal sprays work well for heavy smokers. Inhalators, which resemble cigarette holders, suit people who miss holding something in their hand.

Zyban

Only available on prescription, Zyban, or buproprion hydrochloride, works by desensitising the brain's nicotine receptors. The treatment lasts for eight weeks and its success rate is as high as that of NRT. However, it is not suitable for everyone.

"People who suffer from certain types of liver disease, who are taking some types of anti-depressant or who have a history of epilepsy should not take Zyban," says Brian Jones, a Quit counsellor. "That is why it is very important that you work with your doctor." For most people, the risk of suffering a serious adverse reaction, such as seizures, is low. Less serious side-effects include sleep disturbance and headaches.

Under development are verenicline, rimonabant and a nicotine vaccine, which eliminate the pleasure of smoking by preventing nicotine reaching the brain's receptors.

Support groups and clinics

According to Quit, if you attend a local support group, as well as taking NRT or Zyban, you are up to four times more likely to succeed as someone who goes it alone.

For details of your local group, call Quitline on 0800 002200.

Exercise

Studies have found that exercising while you are trying to give up increases your likelihood of success. You will feel healthier and more self-confident and be better able to tackle withdrawal symptoms. Either play your favourite sports three or four times or week, or download "Keep Quit", a fitness programme tailored specifically for people who are trying to give up, from www.quit.org.uk.

Hypnotherapy

The idea is to encourage the subconscious mind to reject the body's dependence on cigarettes. Many hypnotherapists offer a one-off session, which usually costs between £100 and £250, and lasts for two hours. Some are so confident of success that they promise free follow-up sessions if it doesn't work.

The best-known exponent is Allen Carr, who uses hypnotherapy at his private clinics as part of the Easy Way to Stop Smoking programme. A four-hour session costs £130 to £170 (www.allencarrseasyway.com).

For details of local registered hypnotherapists, write to the British Hypnotherapy Association, 67 Upper Berkeley Street, London W1H 7QX, or call 020 7723 4443.

Acupuncture

Needles are inserted into energy channels below the skin, particularly on the ears. The idea is to restore the body's natural balance. There is little evidence that it works, but it may have a placebo effect, reinforcing a desire to give up.

A course of five to 10 sessions is usually offered and the cost of each session varies according to duration, but is usually at least £25.

For details of local registered acupuncturists, see the British Acupuncture Council's website, www.acupuncture.org.uk.

Glucose tablets

Initial research has found that glucose tablets help to ease the symptoms of those who are trying to give up. Essentially, the tablets seem to be a healthier and more effective alternative to the common habit of demolishing a chocolate bar whenever you crave a cigarette. "The idea is that people want a replacement for the smoking action," explains Brian Jones. "For those who don't like gum, sucking a glucose tablet gives you an energy lift."

Self-help guides

Bestselling books, DVDs and CDs include Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking, which has sold more than three million copies worldwide and been translated into 20 languages, and Paul McKenna's Stop Smoking for Good. Although there are anecdotal reports of success among readers, experts are not convinced that people do stop for good.

"Our experience is that many people manage to give up for a while and then suffer a relapse," says Jones.

NHS smoking helpline: 0800 169 0169 (open 7am to 11pm every day); www.givingupsmoking.co.uk. Quitline: 0800 002200 (open 9am to 9pm every day); www.quit.org.uk.
Action on Smoking and Health: www.ash.org.uk.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/m...16/ixhmain.html

Posted by Demi:
Time Smoke-Free:
3 Years, 1 month, 17 days (1143 days)
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 45735
Lifetime Saved: 11 months, 19 days, 8 hours
Money Saved: £10,675.62 (US$18,525.17)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 01:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/169/147 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Demi

My daughter and I tried Zyban at the same time, in fact we split a packet as here in Australia you are only allowed one "go" for this prescription per person.

She suffered from hallucinations so bad she ended up phoning her local hospital one night where they told her to stop taking them immediately!! I just felt kind of "weird" and "spaced out" and didn't like that feeling so I quit taking them too.

I have used patches in the past and have in fact given up smoking twice before for periods of 3-4 months.

We are both still smokers again however

Barb
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 13:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/154/126 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

Heh Barb and Joanne
Sorry to hear you are still on the fags tried the zyaban myself but went a bit, no a lot nutty not a good place to be, think the inhaler and the chewies are best for me, still off the fags after 6 weeks it feels good never give up giving up you, will get there and you will then go god what was all the fuss about!!!!!!!Honest!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 14:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

IMO, any method that helps a person quit and stay quit is a good one.
Having said that and having tried every product out there, I'm not a big fan of nicotine replacement. After all, the goal of quitting isn't just to get smoke free, but also to overcome the nicotine addiction. As long as a person remains addicted to nicotine, whether it be through cigarettes or snuff or through gum, inhalers or patches, they are still addicted to nicotine and always 72 hours away from being free of it. At some point, you have to give up the nicotine and IMO it may as well be right from the beginning rather than mucking about for weeks with gradual withdrawal. Every successfully recovered addict has given up their drug; whether this happens sooner rather than later is up to them.
Besides...the success rates for quitting with nicotine replacement are actually worse than quitting cold turkey.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksCAids.html
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: Natural/organic low-carb
Stats: 412/251.5/175 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Allen Carr plus hypnosis??? Now that's really strange! I read Carr's book three times but felt I needed a little extra push, so I went to a hynotist. Haven't smoked since. I didn't know Carr used it at his clinics.

The hypnotist and I went over what I wanted very carefully. I didn't think that hating cigarettes or smoking would work, so I asked him simply to put me in a frame of mind similar to the day before I bought my first pack.

That worked beautifully for me, and I don't hate the smell or avoid smokers, although I'm very cognizant of the smell now.

Myra

Seven months, two weeks, six days, 21 hours, 26 minutes and 35 seconds. 7046 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,057.21.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 18:41

Plan: general lc
Stats: 262/196.2/175 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Get pregnant..lol
Thats what I did. haven't had one since I found out !
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 10:38
lbahr

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Cold turkey is the ONLY way to go. I don't believe in the patches, gum, etc. You just have to toughen up and do it. That's what I did. Don't be weak. If you don't buy them, you don't have them to smoke.

I quit smoking and drinking and went on a diet all at the same time, it did not kill me. I just took one day at a time.

I am 101 days smoke/alcohol free.

Linda
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 23:51

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Initial research has found that glucose tablets help to ease the symptoms of those who are trying to give up. Essentially, the tablets seem to be a healthier and more effective alternative to the common habit of demolishing a chocolate bar whenever you crave a cigarette. "The idea is that people want a replacement for the smoking action," explains Brian Jones. "For those who don't like gum, sucking a glucose tablet gives you an energy lift."

Forget candy, just suck on a straight glucose tablet!

Quote:
Get pregnant..lol

I quit with both pregnancies too. Then as soon as I weaned ... Just don't think you can smoke a little and not get sucked back in. I never went back up to the previous amount, but I did get hooked again, both times. For some reason it was easy when I was pregnant though. Congrats!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 09:25
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I know there hasn't been a post for awhile, but I wanted to put in my $0.02.

I smoked for about 17 years, quit a few times using either the patch (which I found I would smoke on, even though it made me sick) and Zyban (suffering insomnia and panic attacks the whole time). I always started back up again though. For me, dealing with the 'why' behind my smoking and my attitude towards it were key.

Friend of mine lent me Alan Carr's book. I had just started another round of Zyban, still in the first two weeks so not quit yet. I laughed at him - yeah, a book is REALLY gonna help me not smoke. I LOVED smoking. So I read it to humour him.

Been happily quit since Jan.29th of this year, don't miss it, don't want it, don't feel like I was ever a smoker. My sister lives with me and is still smoking (outside) - only thing that bothers me is the nasty smell on her clothes when she comes back in.

I urge everyone to give it a read, just for the hell of it. You never know. I couldn't believe how easy it really was this time. Blew my mind.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 11:01

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Friend of mine lent me Alan Carr's book. I had just started another round of Zyban, still in the first two weeks so not quit yet. I laughed at him - yeah, a book is REALLY gonna help me not smoke. I LOVED smoking. So I read it to humour him.

ditto. I've been smoke free 2 months since reading the book. And I had smoked for 14 years, quitting only when pregnant. I really doubted it would work but it did.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-25-06, 07:46
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I know most people knock the patch but for me it helped during those first few days. The worst part for me was knowing how to handle those free hands moments. It's been two years now {May 21st} and it's the support of my family and friends that helps me keep my quit during those stressful times. The patch does help some take those first baby steps.

Angel
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-28-06, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Allan Carr's book did it for me, too. Completely changed my attitude toward cigarettes. No big scare tactics...just common sense. Before reading his book, (which, btw, is a very easy short read) whenever I thought about quitting, I was always "giving up" cigarettes...as if I was losing a best friend.

With Mr Carr's help, I'm one of the lucky "cold turkey" quitters. Two years, May 7.