Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Question Blood Sugar Before and After

Hi everyone....

I had an opportunity to check my blood sugar the other day before and after I had a meal....Before I ate it was 98, after I ate it was 105. I had a hamburger patty w/ bacon and cheese *precooked* and 1/4 of a Low Carb "Carb Solutions" bar...Since my blood sugar only raised 7 pts, I was wondering if the low carb bar caused insulin spikes. Can anyone tell? I don't know how much it's supposed to raise after a meal or whether this is good or not...It seemed pretty good to me. I really would like to know whether the bars are a no no for me or not....

Thanks,
DD

P.S. 20 pounds gone now....Yeeeee Haaaaaaa!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 17:19

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Congratulations on the 20 pounds!!! That's 20 less to carry around with you. Bet you really feel better, too.

Low carb bars and blood sugar spikes. All I can tell you is that the sugar alcohols MAY cause blood sugar spikes in some people. I guess you just have to keep track of how much of an upward movement your blood sugar takes when you eat a low carb bar.

I try to avoid sugar alcohols since they tend to really bother my stomach - and the nose of anyone within 20 feet of me (if you get my drift). Not a pleasant experience.

shortstuff
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%
Thumbs up

Low carb stuff really effects my blood sugars. It is also why I had a five month plateau. Once I cut them out my blood sugar stablized and my weight started dropping again. My daughter, who has no blood sugar problem, can eat all the low carb bars, cookies, etc. she wants and loose. I think you just have to listen to your own body.

Last edited by judyr : Sun, Oct-05-03 at 11:24.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 14:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You didn't mention how soon after eating you checked your blood sugar, but a 7 point rise after eating is barely a bump, not a spike at all. The cheese alone would have been enough to see the 7 point rise that you reported.
Blood sugars will go up in everyone following eating, diabetic or not. What differentiates the diabetics from the non-diabetics is how much it goes up and how long it takes to return to normal afterwards.
The only way to tell for sure if you are having a large insulin response following eating something is to have your circulating insulin levels drawn at regular intervals for an hour or two after eating (very expensive and not terribly practical). To check the effects of a food on your blood sugar, however, you would need a blood sugar meeter (glucometer) and check 30, 60, 90 and 120 minutes after eating.
Given what you reported, though, (a 7 point rise) I'd say it's safe to assume that you did not provoke an insulin spike with what you ate.