Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 12:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default American Diabetes Association & European Association Approve Low Carb Diets

American Diabetes Association & European Association Approve Low Carb Diets

Quote:
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) & the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) have just released their new joint position statement which includes approval of low carbohydrate diets for use in the management of Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) in adults. This comes on the heels of Diabetes Australia having recently released an updated position statement in August titled Low Carbohydrate Eating for People with Diabetes (you can read more about that here).

This is huge!

By releasing this updated joint position statement, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) indicate that they now recognize a low carbohydrate diet as safe and effective lifestyle management of T2D in adults.

In the newly released joint position statement that was published online ahead of print on October 4, 2018 in the journal Diabetes Care, it was stated that the new recommendations were based on “a systematic evaluation of the literature since 2014” [1]. That is, approval for the use of low carbohydrate diets is based on current research.

A Full Range of Therapeutic Options

The new joint ADA & EASD position statement endorses “a full range of therapeutic options” including lifestyle management, medication and obesity management and indicate that:

“An individual program of Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) should be offered to all patients”.
The new joint position statement elaborates that Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) is made up of an education component and a support component to enable patients to adopt healthy eating patterns with the goal of “managing blood glucose and cardiovascular risk factors.” The goal is to reduce risk for Diabetes-related complications while preserving the pleasure of eating” with the two basic dimensions of MNT including diet quality and energy restriction.

DIET QUALITY AND EATING PATTERNS

The joint American and European position paper on the management of T2D states clearly;

“There is no single ratio of carbohydrate, proteins and fat intake that is optimal for every person with Type 2 Diabetes.”
but

“Instead, there are many good options and professional guidelines usually recommend individually selected eating patterns that emphasize foods of demonstrated health benefit, that minimize foods of demonstrated
harm and that accommodate patient preference and metabolic needs, with the goal of identifying healthy dietary habits that are feasible and sustainable.”
Included in this category are;

the Mediterranean Diet
the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet
Low Carbohydrate Diets
Vegetarian Diets
The joint position paper noted that;

“Low-carbohydrate diets (<26% of total energy) produce substantial reductions in HbA1c at 3 months and 6 months with diminishing effects at 12 and 24 months.”
Unfortunately the paper failed to note that the one-year Virta study data that reported that HbA1C continued to decline at one year but yes, a diminished rates.

Continues....with charts, screen shots and links....at:

http://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/10/07/a...-low-carb-diets
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 13:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Why am I suspicious of their motives??

When I have looked to the ADA website for info and support, their info imo was in the dark ages. Yet low carb options have been known since 1972, DANDR. Though I bought my first copy and understanding about 2002.

Praying more changes to come.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
[B]American Diabetes Association & European Association Approve Low Carb Diets[/B

http://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/10/07/a...-low-carb-diets

Also Low Carb Diets Get a Seat at the Table by Dr. Bret Scher

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...at-at-the-table

Quote:
.......On the one hand, this is fantastic news. The ADA and EASD can no longer ignore the data supporting low-carb nutrition. That should pave the way for more doctors freely using low-carb diets with their patients. That will lead to more success, more physician knowledge, and thus perpetuate more use. Hopefully the end result will be a safer, more effective treatment of type 2 diabetes.

The bad news in this consensus is that dietary intervention was listed on half of one page. The remainder of the 27-page document was almost entirely devoted to prescription drugs. The drug-first bias of these societies is palpable, but that shouldn’t keep us from celebrating this initial step with them acknowledging low-carb diets. We just can’t be satisfied and let it stop here.

The ultimate goal is for individual providers and patients across the globe to realize that low-carb diets can prevent and reverse diabetes without the use of medications. Nutrition can serve as first line and last line treatment for the vast majority of individuals with diabetes.

That is the big victory I am hoping for. In the meantime, I will quietly celebrate the smaller victory and thank the ADA and EASD for acknowledge the benefits of low-carb diets. Onward and upward.

#4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-18, 14:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good, we are now starting the transition to Phase 3 in the 4 phases of adopting a new dietary and nutrition belief system:

Phase 1) Individual believers who adopt changes on their own with little research and only N=1 experiences. Grass roots. This can be encouraged by early adopters of experts who risk reputation and credibility like Banting, Atkins, Bernstein, Westman, Taubes and others.

Phase 2) Some experts from the medical and research communities start to confirm research in clinical settings (Westman, Atkins, Unwin, Hallberg, Gerber, Cummins, Phinney, Volek, Fung, D'Agostino, etc.) fueling broader adoption of N=1 individuals and generating some media recognition, publications, videos in the process. This phase starts to reach more people who are frustrated with current, ineffective recommendations like the DGA. I believe we are in the latter stages of Phase 2 today.

Phase 3) Work and recognition from Phases 1&2 start to become adopted by additional organizations who are more risk averse when lending credibility to methods against which they have campaigned in the past. Broader acceptance by the public results in increased awareness of physicians and food manufacturers race to produce products that are "friendly" with this new approach (keto friendly, Paleo friendly, Whole30 friendly, etc.) Dr. Oz has segments on his show strictly due to increased popularity to maintain relevance for his viewers (the ultimate indicator that we're in Phase 3!).

Phase 4) Broad adoption and recognition by the public, the medical community, food manufacturers, and other laymen. The pharmaceutical industry will force new drugs on the market to protect their revenue streams, but the tide turns when people realize they can achieve better health with whole foods and not a prescription. The DGAs are updated to recognize the various WOE that achieve health and eliminate all the myths about fats and substitute sugar, sugar producing, and processed foods as the negatives for consumption.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 10:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Good, we are now starting the transition to Phase 3 in the 4 phases of adopting a new dietary and nutrition belief system:

Phase 1) Individual believers who adopt changes on their own with little research and only N=1 experiences. Grass roots. This can be encouraged by early adopters or experts who risk reputation and credibility like Banting, Atkins, Bernstein, Westman, Taubes and others.

Phase 2) Some experts from the medical and research communities start to confirm research in clinical settings (Westman, Atkins, Unwin, Hallberg, Gerber, Cummins, Phinney, Volek, Fung, D'Agostino, etc.) fueling broader adoption of N=1 individuals and generating some media recognition, publications, videos in the process. This phase starts to reach more people who are frustrated with current, ineffective recommendations like the DGA. I believe we are in the latter stages of Phase 2 today.

Phase 3) Work and recognition from Phases 1&2 start to become adopted by additional organizations who are more risk averse when lending credibility to methods against which they have campaigned in the past. Broader acceptance by the public results in increased awareness of physicians and food manufacturers race to produce products that are "friendly" with this new approach (keto friendly, Paleo friendly, Whole30 friendly, etc.) Dr. Oz has segments on his show strictly due to increased popularity to maintain relevance for his viewers (the ultimate indicator that we're in Phase 3!).

Phase 4) Broad adoption and recognition by the public, the medical community, food manufacturers, and other laymen. The pharmaceutical industry will force new drugs on the market to protect their revenue streams, but the tide turns when people realize they can achieve better health with whole foods and not a prescription. The DGAs are updated to recognize the various WOE that achieve health and eliminate all the myths about fats and substitute sugar, sugar producing, and processed foods as the negatives for consumption.

Edited to improve clarity.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 05:52

Or Not! In new guidelines for treatment of T2 overweight children, no mention of Low Carb diets. Frustrating.

The American Diabetes Association misses the mark… again (sigh)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-amer...mark-again-sigh
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 07:09

BF:

rob, your accessment is nothing short of wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111

Phase 1) Individual believers who adopt changes on their own with little research and only N=1 experiences. Grass roots. This can be encouraged by early adopters or experts who risk reputation and credibility like Banting, Atkins, Bernstein, Westman, Taubes and others.

#8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-18, 13:33

BF:

Based on recent studies, supporting publications, and more professionals adopting and promoting a low carb approach, I believe we've now transitioned to Phase 3. Especially with the recent Dr. Oz segments.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 20:04

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Here's the thing:

In the 1970's, I was being raised by my diabetic grandparents.

I went to the meetings. I heard ALL the ADA stuff. What they were preaching then was diet and exercise were the best treatment. They went into great detail on how diabetes works, and how bad starches & sugars of any kind are for your body. (My grandparents refused to give up their bread & potatoes, and so remained unhealthy and out of control).

Then I grew up.

In 2004, I was pregnant with my son, and -- following conventional wisdom and & lacking a support-group to feed me information -- I went OFF my strict Atkins for the baby's sake... and started having health problems. Talked to my OB, and he put me on the gestational diabetes plan....

...And I couldn't understand it. It was all the foods that -- in my memory -- the ADA had warned diabetics against eating.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 20:16

BF:

Yup. I dropped all that literature in the trash, and followed DANDR thru my pregnancy. All low carb stuff, just too much of it. A1c was too high at 7.1 and I wish I too had better support at the time.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-18, 08:07

Diabetes Daily year in review:

2018: A Paramount Year for Low-Carbohydrate Diets for Diabetes

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...cEYV55mC6FSemC0

Check that steep upward graph of #hits for LC and Diabetes on Google Scholar.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Dec-20-18 at 08:24.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-18, 09:08

BF:

It's only taken them 30 years . . .
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-18, 05:44

Following was written by an RD based in British Columbia.

https://www.lchf-rd.com/wp-content/...pxTcIgu3k-bdNy0

Quote:
SUMMARY: The American Diabetes Association updates its practice guidelines throughout the year as new scientific evidence warrants it [1]. Having conducted a systematic review of the scientific literature since 2014 the ADA has updated its guidelines to include the use of a low carbohydrate diet (<130 g carbohydrate) as Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) for adults* with Type 2 Diabetes [1,2].

In October 2018, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) released a joint Position Statement in conjunction with the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) which approved use of a low carbohydrate diet which it defined as <130 g of carbohydrate/day (<26% of daily calories as carbohydrate) as Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) for adults with Type 2 Diabetes [1].

At the end of December 2018, the ADA released its 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes which builds on the ADA / EASD joint consensus paper by including use of a low carbohydrate diet in the section on Nutrition Therapy and reflects the organization’s emphasis on a patient-centered, individualized approach. The ADA concludes that a low carbohydrate diet may result in (a) lower blood sugar levels, may (b) lower the use of blood sugar lowering medications and (c) is effective for weight loss [2] and cites one-year study data by Virta Health [3] which used a ketogenic approach (<30g carbohydrate/day), as well as two other studies [4,5]. The ADA concludes a low carbohydrate diet is safe to use in not pregnant or lactating adults without kidney disease or risk of eating disorders.

This moves a low carbohydrate diet from the realm of a popular lifestyle choice to Medical Nutrition Therapy for the purpose of disease management.

Dr. Berry's comment about this:

Quote:
"The ADA now recognizes a Low-Carb diet as a treatment option for Diabetes. Took them long enough, right?

Here is a 1-page announcement you can print out and take to your doctor. It will help wake him/her up, and get them off your back about eating KETO!!! This will give doctors the safety they need to stop hounding you that LCHF will Kill you!!! If you can't change your doctor with this, then you will need to change your doctor. They recommend less than 130grams/carbs daily, and that means 20 grams/day to me!
Share with every diabetic you know please, it will save LIFE & LIMBs."

Here is Joy Kidde's previous longer analysis of the 2019 guidelines, published Tuesday, after the 2019 guidelines were released on Monday. https://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/12/18/...ndards-of-care/ This short summary of where the ADA stands on LC may come in handy.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-21-18 at 12:56.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 06:48

That one page summary linked in previous post (now removed) written by Joy Kidde had the ADA symbol on it, confusing to some who did not read her previous posts.
She has taken it off, so new link is to one page summary for your doctor:
https://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/12/19/...-page-printout/

It combs through the 2019 ADA Guidelines for mentions of Low Carb as an option and the references used to support it, so your doctor understands LC is now an approved option for diabetes treatment.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 23:05

BF:

Quote:
The ADA concludes a low carbohydrate diet is safe to use in not pregnant or lactating adults without kidney disease or risk of eating disorders.

This moves a low carbohydrate diet from the realm of a popular lifestyle choice to Medical Nutrition Therapy for the purpose of disease management.

Good to see this in print, as it indicates that acceptance, however marginal at this time, is real.