Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-19, 00:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Alarm as childhood Type 2 diabetes in the UK rockets 50 per cent in five years

Quote:
From The Daily Telegraph
London, UK
13 July, 2019

Alarm as childhood Type 2 diabetes rockets 50 per cent in five years

he number of children and young people being treated for Type 2 diabetes has soared by nearly 50 per cent in just five years, new figures reveal.

The condition is closely linked to poor lifestyle, and experts today said the new data sheds light on the UK’s “shocking” rise in childhood obesity.

Obtained by the Local Government Association (LGA), the figures show there were almost 750 cases of Type 2 diabetes in those aged under 25 who received care from Paediatric Diabetes Units in 2017-18.

The first cases of Type 2 diabetes in children were diagnosed less than 20 years ago.

The research showed that more girls than boys received treatment, and they were more likely to be from a non-white or deprived background.

Some 45 per cent had high blood pressure, and 34 per cent exceeded the higher target for total blood cholesterol levels.

The latest data shows an increase of 47 per cent on the 507 cases from 2013-14, which is also up by 30 cases from 715 in 2016-17.

However, as these figures only relate to those treated in paediatric practice, and not for example, primary care, the actual number of young people with Type 2 diabetes is likely to be even higher.

Type 2 diabetes can lead to a range of serious health problems such as blindness, heart disease, kidney failure and lower limb amputation.

Unlike Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 is largely preventable and is closely linked to lifestyle, such as unhealthy eating or lack of exercise.

Ian Hudspeth, chairman of the LGA's community wellbeing board, said: "Childhood obesity is one of the biggest public health challenges we face and these figures are yet another sad indictment of how we have collectively failed as a society to tackle it.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ent-five-years/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-19, 03:45

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

So incredibly sad
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-19, 10:40

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

When are people going to wake up and realize that we've been engaged in a massive experiment with public health and that it's been an incredible disaster?!?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-19, 11:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Many beleive there is enough good food available for everyone.

Too many buy cheap food not realizing quality can be had for the same amt money.

Too few know how to cook anymore, too few have time to cook.

Teach a man to fish......we need to teach real nutrition, food prep and ...........

This has been my frustration for many years.

Children burdened with obesity and T2D is a travesty.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-19, 12:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Too many people are spoiled and lazy....
They want instant gratification which fast food and junk food provides!
Open a bag and presto, instant burger and fries. Open a box and presto, instant pizza.....no fuss, no muss, no prep, no work.
Soda and energy drinks are mandatory in their lives, anything less is unimaginable.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-19, 12:30

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I see many old couples at Mac D for lunch. No children to help them in older age.

All the people trying to get into the US are trading in good healthy foods for a slow death due to SAD.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-19, 09:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I see many old couples at Mac D for lunch. No children to help them in older age.

I think we could turn our eldercare around, but we have to start when they are young. Old people, especially ones compromised by years of brain damage, from the SAD, just might not be able to make the turnaround.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-19, 10:13

BF:

Yes, and my bet is that they're all on diabetes and high blood pressure meds., not to mention stantons and who knows what else. They take their meds and then go eat this garbage!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-19, 11:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Yes, and my bet is that they're all on diabetes and high blood pressure meds., not to mention stantons and who knows what else. They take their meds and then go eat this garbage!
20 years ago, I went on a heart-healthy low-fat diet that a dietician advised me on. I ended up being pre-diabetic with worse cholesterol values and higher blood pressure, no to mention weighing more and having to eat poor-tasting foods. I was on 4 prescription drugs when I switched to low-carb. Now I've been off those drugs for many years and am now no long pre-diabetic, have great blood pressure and blood chemistry. Not be mention being 55 pounds lighter and eating great tasting foods.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-19, 11:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
20 years ago, I went on a heart-healthy low-fat diet that a dietician advised me on. I ended up being pre-diabetic with worse cholesterol values and higher blood pressure, no to mention weighing more and having to eat poor-tasting foods. I was on 4 prescription drugs when I switched to low-carb. Now I've been off those drugs for many years and am now no long pre-diabetic, have great blood pressure and blood chemistry. Not be mention being 55 pounds lighter and eating great tasting foods.

Excellent Dodger!!!

I can't even imagine why people would want to live on drugs so they can eat pure garbage. A nice juicy steak is so much better than a bag of artificial fake food.