Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 10:14

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Oh that sounds gooood!

Last night, I made a Shepherd's pie--well, more of a bits and bobs pie, really. I had leftover ground beef that I had mixed with onions and tomatoes, etc last night, so I sauted some mushrooms in some beef fat and threw that in with just a bit of red wine. Boiled up a head of cauliflower and two good sized red potatoes. Mashed that up with lots of butter and cream, spread it on top, (made someone else eat the leftover bit because it was DANGEROUSLY good) and popped it in the oven for 20 minutes. Wow it was good!

Last edited by gadge : Sat, Apr-25-09 at 10:16. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Breakfast was good today! It's a Saturday so I can prepare a hot meal at home if I want. I had a serving of the Optimal Almond bread, cut into two very thin slices. I then mixed an egg with a bit of heavy cream and cinnamon, doused the almond bread slices in it, and made French toast. I have some SF DaVinci pancake syrup, so I took a couple tsp of that and mixed it with some melted butter, which I poured over the French toast. Yummy.

Debbie, can you point me to the recipe for the almond bread? Sure sounds good.
  #168   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 10:48

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Debbie, can you point me to the recipe for the almond bread? Sure sounds good.

I used the recipe found at the bottom of the page here:
http://homodiet.netfirms.com/menu/day_seven.htm

This makes a *huge* amount of batter - enough for two loaves of bread - easily 20 servings or more. I put most of mine in the freezer as I knew I would never use it up otherwise, and just take out what I need when I need it. I used almond meal rather than the hazelnut listed in the recipe because:
1) I had some handy
2) I don't like hazelnuts very much.

And I left out the flour and the breadcrumbs as I don't do wheat/gluten, but it still came out great. It stuck to the pan a bit which left a lot of the bottom behind when I was getting it out. Someone suggested maybe using a silicon pan for it, which I may have to go out and buy to try next time.
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 11:43
Experimenter

BF:

Thanks! I think I've got quite a lot of almond meal on hand, I'll use it in this.
  #170   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 14:40
Experimenter

BF:

Oh boy! I finally found a pretty nice Asian grocery, big one too. And they had EVERYTHING! I got a pork belly, $1.99 a pound. Been wanting to have that again ever since I had it at an upscale restaurant, it was so awesome. They have every sort of organ meat you could want too.

They even had whole ducks... but I don't really have a knife that could whack off a duck's head and feet.

I also found some coconut cream in a brick thingie and bought lots of coconut milk, black vinegar and fish sauce. I'm getting close to being ready to try my dairy-free OD.

http://cucinarebecca.blogspot.com/2...pork-belly.html
Thai Crispy pork belly
http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/thai_cri...belly_moo_krawp

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Apr-25-09 at 14:47.
  #171   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 19:23

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nancy, we have a Thai restaurant around here that has lots of pork belly dishes that are really good. Thought they might give you some ideas. There's the regular moo krob, which is just the crispy pork belly that they serve with a kind of vinegary dipping sauce. Some of the other dishes are "crispy pork with chili basil" which says it's crispy pork belly quick fried with bell pepper, onion, and basil in a spicy garlic-chili sauce. Then there's the one my DH likes, which is "moo krob pkrik khing" - crispy pork belly quick fried with green beans in a spicy red curry sauce. They also have something called "pad satar" which is shrimp and crispy pork belly quick fried in spicy chili shrimp-curry paste.
  #172   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 20:31

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

I went supermarket hunting, too. I found lamb kidneys from Oz for 1.99 lb! They have a real butcher. There were parts and other parts and other parts of all kinds of animals! They also had things like fresh garbanzos and fresh almonds with the meat still attached--I tried to ask the lady buying great loads of pretty green fruits what she does with them but there was a language barrier. I am fortunate enough to have several types of ethnic supermarket on my commute, but this one is close to home. Yay!

Last edited by gadge : Sat, Apr-25-09 at 20:37.
  #173   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 21:37

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Any body eating low carb ice cream. I know it has sugar alcohols but I haven't made my own yet so this is what I have. As long as I fit it into my ratios Im ok right?
  #174   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 23:39

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

What are wieners?
Where can I find them and much three of them weigh?
  #175   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 06:34

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
What are wieners?
Where can I find them and much three of them weigh?

Around here wieners are hotdogs. There are usually like 8 in a lb I think so 3 would be just over .25 lbs.
  #176   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 07:07

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
Around here wieners are hotdogs. There are usually like 8 in a lb I think so 3 would be just over .25 lbs.

I was at Whole Foods yesterday and found organic, nitrate-free beef hotdogs from grass-fed cows there, so I bought some! I've always loved hotdogs and feel I can have these without guilt. Good fat/protein ratio too. One dog is only 7g protein.
  #177   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 08:00
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

soule72, I think most of us are operating on the principle that any food you make work with your ratio targets is ok, as long as for the most part you're choosing nutritionally dense foods.

Was reaching for the President's butter at TJ's yesterday, and saw they had gotten in Kerry's Irish Gold! And it was significantly cheaper. I'd heard it was yummy, but had never found it before. Tried it last night, YES, it is delicious.

For anyone who may not know, high end butters usually have a higher percentage of butter fat in them, and therefore taste better than typical grocery store brand name butter. By law, "butter" has to have 80% butter fat in it to call itself "butter" and not butter spread or something... so most have 80% and no more because butterfat is the expensive ingredient. But you'll find a higher than 80% of butter fat in your high end butters like President, Kerry's, Lurpak. That's why they're so expensive.
  #178   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 08:00
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Nancy, we have a Thai restaurant around here that has lots of pork belly dishes that are really good. Thought they might give you some ideas. There's the regular moo krob, which is just the crispy pork belly that they serve with a kind of vinegary dipping sauce. Some of the other dishes are "crispy pork with chili basil" which says it's crispy pork belly quick fried with bell pepper, onion, and basil in a spicy garlic-chili sauce. Then there's the one my DH likes, which is "moo krob pkrik khing" - crispy pork belly quick fried with green beans in a spicy red curry sauce. They also have something called "pad satar" which is shrimp and crispy pork belly quick fried in spicy chili shrimp-curry paste.

Oh yeah! That Thai recipe looks great but I'm not keen on deep frying... too messy. I think I'll do that first one instead. But the dipping sauces idea is good.

Prik Khing is a type of curry, one of my favorites! I think that's the one I use when I make squash curry.
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 08:41
Experimenter

BF:
Default Peanut chiffon pie

Ok, I mentioned the chiffon like pie would be great for this diet and I made one last night (filling only). I used peanut butter instead of pumpkin.

Here's roughly how I did it:

1 cup peanut butter
12 oz cream cheese
1 cup of cream
Da Vinci vanilla syrup (or Vanilla and splenda) -- to taste (go a little sweeter because the sweetness will not be so much after the pie is refrigerated or frozen)

Use a mixer and beat the cream cheese until it is soft. Add the peanut butter and continue to mix well. Add in the wet ingredients slowly. You might need to add more. The mix should be light and easily spreadable.

I cut out a circle of parchment that fits the bottom of my pie pan. Put butter on the pie pan so the parchment will stick. Pour the mixture in, smooth it out. Refrigerate (or freeze) until it gets firm. You'll have to thaw a bit if you entirely freeze it.
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I mentioned the chiffon like pie would be great for this diet and I made one last night (filling only). I used peanut butter instead of pumpkin.

First - this recipe sounds delicious! I think instead of a pie though I'll pour the filling into one of my rectangle plastic containers, keep in the fridge and cut into bars for snacks --- or, since great minds think alike --- to spread on a rice cracker for breakfast as I did this morning using a tbls each of cream cheese and chunky peanut butter. No added sweetener, but I did top with Smuckers LC blueberry jam. Heaven!

Btw, instead of using a cup of liquid cream in your recipe, do you think mascarpone would work and make the filling even thicker, or too thick, or...?

Second, thanks for the TJs rice cracker recommendation, as well as the Dried Tomato Pesto Torte. Both are amazing and I'm glad I got them.

Lisa