Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

ZOMG! I shouldn't have read that... now I want some.

I actually haven't had a total orgy in dairy products, just been using them as probably anyone else would on OD/ON... but to me that feels like an orgy.

Although last night... *sob* I had my first binge in ages. You know how rice cakes normally taste like cardboard? Well... they don't all taste that way. TJ's has some called "Light Salted Rice Cakes" that are insanely good. Pile on some butter and peanut butter and it's just heaven. Light, crunchy, salty, buttery... zowie! I couldn't stop. And then I decided... I miight as well eat them all tonight and ban them from the shopping cart forever. So I did. Ugh... stomach feels horrible today.

It's very odd but these rice crackers I get at TJ's don't tempt me at all in the same way. I can easily stop eating those. They are pretty bland though.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:18
Experimenter

BF:

I have a STRONG eat recommendation for this recipe: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=385214

You could just make the filling and have it for breakfast or dessert.
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:43

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Just as an example of how far I've sunk into dairy-land...

sounds good to me! Mascarpone.... <swoon>. I guess I am one of those lucky ones who have never had any issues with dairy stopping me up. I continue to be pretty "regular" even when I have cheese, butter, cream every day. Now if I add *grains* to my diet? THAT causes me lots of issues.

As to being stalled on dairy? I know it gets blamed a lot, and I'm sure it can be a staller for folks with intolerances, but eliminating dairy in the past never broke any previous stalls for me. And so far I'm down 5.5 lbs (another half pound this morning) in the past two weeks, including lots of butter and cream (though less cheese than usual because of the protein). So we shall see.

I have to admit that it did hurt a bit the other night when I was at a meeting, and they had my one of my favorite CHEDDARS there as a snack, but I was already at my protein limit for the day. In order not to blow my numbers I was reduced to eating stalks of celery. Celery! One of those things I think of as classic "diet deprivational food".
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:44
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Except for butter, of which I'm eating nearly a half stick a day of (yum), I haven't been resorting to dairy that much. So this definitely can be done without lots of dairy.
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 10:51

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry Nancy!! I am enabling...lol.

Well dairy doesn't stop me up or make me stall, but it makes me feel "oogy" for lack of a better word. I just feel better off of it.

Good to know MizKitty!
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:16

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

do you have the recipe for the mascarpone cheese?
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:27
Experimenter

BF:

I just bought some marscapone... *sigh*. I just had to try that recipe. MizKitty, nice to know you're close to dairy free! When I get closer to having the dairy gone I'll start a thread for dairy-free OD/ON (what are you eating?) and we can brainstorm in there.
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 11:44
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I had about 1.5 oz of cheese maybe twice this past week. No cream. Lots of butter and coconut oil. Fatty meats like pork roast and bratwursts. I'm still not hitting my ratios *perfectly*, can't seem to get the protein low enough or the carbs up (kind of scared to do that, anyway, and according to Pangolina's posts in the paleo OD thread, if I'm reading them right, there IS some flexibility to the ratios for overweight folks, and carbs can be as low as .5 - in which case I am making my ratios. This is still very confusing) I have yet to grocery shop since starting OD, so I'm kind of just making due with what's on hand. I am posting my meals in my journal BTW, for anyone interested. I'm not a scratch cooker or interested in becoming a scratch cooker, so I eat very simply.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 12:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
according to Pangolina's posts in the paleo OD thread, if I'm reading them right, there IS some flexibility to the ratios for overweight folks, and carbs can be as low as .5 - in which case I am making my ratios.

Ditto here. I had been *trying* to get my carbs up a bit to the .8 ratio, but was also seeing a slight creep in my BG numbers which was a bit worrying too. But then in that thread Pangolina mentioned that .5 is JK's *recommended* carb ratio for diabetics (which is me, <raises hand> )

So I'm not going to keep on making a big effort to get my carbs higher than they have been for now.

I just finished off the last of my chicken liver paté. Now to figure out what to have next.
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 14:34
Experimenter

BF:

I've been eating very simply too. I think because it's really hard to beat having some cheese, crackers and pate for a meal. It's just really good and doesn't involve any fuss to make. Then my salads are great too, don't involve any cooking. About the only cooking I've done was making some cream based soups.

I'm going to make hamburger stroganoff tonight though... a good way to use up some of the excess stuff I bought.
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 17:34

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

What about bologna?
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 18:21

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Here is my journal entry for today:

Wt 218 (this morning)
Fitday figures: Cals 1548, Prot 55, Fat 134, Carbs 38 (total)
Breakfast: 1 whole & 1 yolk feta cheese (1" cube) omelet
Lunch: 1/2 cup diced chicken, 1/2 cup raspberries, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, jello lite with heavy cream
Supper: Turkey breast steak (small one), 1 cup cauliflower and 1 medium diced tomato with 1 tbsp cream dressing
3 cups coffee with cream, about 5 tbsp butter used in cooking the above
Came home from work and still dropped 1 pound on the scales from this morning.

Who can eat this way and lose weight? I'm stumped.

I am feeling unbelievably wonderful. I'll be posting all my simple menu's in my journal for those interested.
  #163   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 19:01

BF:

The OD/Paleo thread (I think) made a mention of making 'Rillettes' and gave some links with recipes! OMG - I think I'm in heaven now.

The recipes included ones for smoked salmon and smoked trout. Now a month or two ago the supermarket was having this giant sale of vacuum-sealed bags of Alaskan wild smoked salmon, marked down from $8.99 for 6 oz to $2.99. I bought about 8-10 bags of them. I love smoked salmon.

Except a 6oz bag of salmon is so easy to consume in a single sitting, and there goes about 30g of protein or half my day's allotment, and I'd been trying to think how I could stretch it. Suddenly I learned about rillettes!

So I came home tonight and this is what I did:
Got out the food processor and put into it:
1 stick (1/4 pound) of softened butter
2 oz cream cheese (all I had left)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp white wine
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 oz. smoked salmon

I then turned on the food processor and blended until all was smooth, and then ladled out into a ceramic bowl with a spatula, and packed it down.

Lifeform says the entire recipe has a weight of 507g and nutrients are:
Fat: 221
Carb: 2
Protein: 37

Later I took about a 100g portion, roughly 1/5, for my dinner, so dinner was
fat: about 45g
carb: no more than about .5g
protein: about 7.5g

Okay, I could have made it a little *less* fatty using only a 1/4 stick of butter and it would still have been tasty. But this had a creamy and satisfying taste, and sure gave me the great taste of the salmon without having all the 30+g of protein in a single meal. Definitely swoon-worthy.
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-09, 19:05

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Sounds delish! I've added it to my growing list of ideas/recipes.
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 07:08

BF:

Breakfast was good today! It's a Saturday so I can prepare a hot meal at home if I want. I had a serving of the Optimal Almond bread, cut into two very thin slices. I then mixed an egg with a bit of heavy cream and cinnamon, doused the almond bread slices in it, and made French toast. I have some SF DaVinci pancake syrup, so I took a couple tsp of that and mixed it with some melted butter, which I poured over the French toast. Yummy.