Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 23:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/234/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default How many grams of cream cheese can you have on Induction?

I found the mock danish recipe and have fell in love with it. I was wondering how many ounces of cream cheese can I have a day? I was thinking I can only have 4 oz of cheese of any kind per day, am I correct?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 00:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes. In his new book Atkins recommends no more than 3-4 oz. of cheese a day.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 00:39
Registered Member

Plan: na
Stats: 225/212.5/180 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 28%

First...where did you get the recipe? Sounds sooooo good!Danish...mmmm... -now cheese. Dr. Atkins has it on his "free" foods' list. so as far as I know you can have it anytime (just a sec...checking my trusty carb counter)Here it is ;1 oz. of cream cheese has 1 carb & so do most others, except processed cheese which has 2 carbs but I don't really care for processed food anyway. Hope that helped!!

Nolly
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 00:43
Registered Member

BF:

Ohmigosh!!! I looove cheese. that was one of the highlights of this WOL. What book Karen & does he say why?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 00:59

BF:

Thank you Karen for you quick reply.

Nolly, I found the recipe when I did a search under Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support>Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes.

It is a recipe that Nat put there......all I can say is IT'S WONDERFUL!!!!

If you go to the forum and do a search for "Mock Danish" you will find her recipe and so many others have written how they have modified the recipe. There are alot of varieties.

I have tried the lemon flavored and cocoa flavored. I love the lemon, it tastes like an old timey egg custard like Grandma used to make. It's a good treat.

This is the original recipe that Nat gave:

Mock Danish (one serving)
2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 tbsp Splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring

Mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

I use lemon flavoring.....instead of lemon concentrate.

You can also omit the lemon and add cinnamon, then top with butter when you take it from the microwave. I haven't tried that yet, but I am going to.

Also, omit the lemon and add 1 teaspoon cocoa powder. It's good when you want something chocolate.

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!
These things can become habit forming.

If we can only have 3-4 oz cheese per day while on Induction......that means you can only have one or two of these a day. It's a nice light snack or something quick when you are on the run and a nice change for breakfast.

I have to limit myself so I won't jeopardize what success I have had so far on this WOE.

Stats: (Also given by Nat)

1 serving
Calories 167.76
Calories from Fat 117
Total Fat 13 grams 20%
Sodium 210 mg 9%
Potassium 170 mg 5%
Total Carb 4 grams 1%
Total Fiber 0
Total Protein 11.43grams 23%
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 01:04

BF:

Nolly, I forgot....you need to use a plastic microwavable container so it won't stick. I've read where some who have used a glass container have commented that it will stick to glass. Hard to clean.

I use a small plastic microwavable bowl, I mix everything together in the same bowl that I microwave it in.

Easy clean up, and you only mess up one container.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 01:41
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you! It sound so good. I'll try it tomorrow morning. Regarding the cheese...my mom, as I've said before, lost over 150lbs and she ate ALOT of cheese. The woman practically Lived on cheese & Schneider's pepperettes. I wonder what it is that makes it so that we can only have 4oz a day? I NEED MY CHEESE!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 21:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Ohmigosh!!! I looove cheese. that was one of the highlights of this WOL. What book Karen & does he say why?

The new edition of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. He doesn't say why, but cheese and too many dairy products are a known staller for a lot of people. Other things he limits are artificial sweeteners and heavy cream. It is very worthwhile to read the new edition.
Quote:
my mom, as I've said before, lost over 150lbs and she ate ALOT of cheese. The woman practically Lived on cheese & Schneider's pepperettes.

A low-carbing fact, is what works for someone else, might not work for you because we all have different metabolisms. But you never know until you try. You are your own science experiment.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 07:22
Registered Member

Stats: 167/159/125
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Debbi I really appreciate the directions for finding the recipe. I am having it this morning. I also found some other great looking recipes. This makes it that much easier.

Janet
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 07:28

BF:

You are very welcome, Janet. I hope you will enjoy the danish. Just had one this morning for breakfast with a couple slices of bacon.

Once you try the recipes you've found, please share them with me. I've been on the WOE a month and have only gotten bored a couple of times.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 08:02
Registered Member

Stats: 167/159/125
BF:
Progress: 19%

Debbi the Danish is wonderful. I am eating it now with bacon. I am on my 2nd day of induction so it is so great to find some really lc recipes. I made the chicken with thyme from the lc recipe section at the very top. It was wonderful. My son and his wife came for dinner last night and they really enjoyed it.
Janet