Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/168/145
BF:
Progress: 43%
Smile I think it's starting to work

Today is the first day that I can honestly say that I have lost a pound. One little pound but you gotta start somewhere. Also, today is the first day that I have noticed an actual decrease in my appetite. Energy level is not up to where I wish it was but I'm not dragging as badly as I was Monday and Tuesday. This is the fifth day for me. Monday was the pits.....tired and had a headache all afternoon. Today I did notice a little leg cramping trying to start so immediately got another glass of water and it stopped right away. Ketostik is staying in the mid-range consistantly. I didn't even want breakfast this morning so didn't push it but got a salad with grilled chicken for an early lunch and later in the afternoon had 5 or 6 pork rinds. This is a BIG change for me even while in induction. Monday through Wednesday I ate three large meat and/or egg meals with a salad thrown in either at lunch or dinner and lots of pork rinds in the afternoon for a snack. Tonight I am going out with friends for dinner and plan on having a steak and another salad (I hope this won't be too many vegetables in one day). This weekend I am going out of town for a convention where the meals are furnished and I'm expecting that to be quite a challenge but I will find something that I can eat that is "legal" and hopefully come back home minus a pound or two if I get lucky. I almost gave this up Monday when I was so miserable but I'm glad I didn't. Just having a "normal" appetite is worth the effort even if I didn't end up losing much weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 17:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Twinkle!!
Sounds like you're doing pretty good!!

Watch those pork rinds--- they're usually loaded with salt! Make sure you drink lots of extra water!!

Feeling "ICK" at the beginning is normal and feeling tired too.
Once your body starts to adjust--- you'll get that extra energy surge!!

Make sure you are getting enough fat to.

Stick with it!! Post again in a few days so I can see how things are going for you!!
Ellie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 19:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Twinkle Sounds like you're well into ketosis. Be sure you eat enough - I realize you're not going to be all that hungry, but it is vital you eat enough or the fat loss will come to a grinding halt. Sounds wierd, I know. Low calorie and Low Carb don't work. Try to aim for 10 - 12 times your body weight in calories a day as the minimum. If you'd like to keep track for a few weeks and see just how much (or how little) you are eating try www.fitday.com Its free and very helpful - the first few days can be quite a shocker.

Keep the water up - you don't want those stix getting too dark - its a sign of dehydration, not better fat burning. Water is essential when following a LC WOL (it's essential regardless of your WOE actually). More water = more fat flushed out.

Cramping is not uncommon with this WOE - its an easy fix though. Get yourself a good calcium / magnesium supplement. RDA for calcium is 1000 - 1500 mg a day and for magnesium its 400-500mg. You can get the two in one pill (usually a ratio of 2:1, 333mg cal / 167 mg magnesium) take one with each of your 3 meals a day and save one for an hour before bed - magnesium has a very soothing effect and it will greatly improve the quality of your sleep.

Cheers,
Nat