Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 06:04
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 235/208/190
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default How bad is decaf coffee?

For some reason which doctors cannot tell, I get very sleetpy after meals evenb thoough I have been on Atkins for 3 years. The only way I can function is to have a coffee afetr meals. I drink 4 cups oiof decaf coffee after lunch and after dinner. Can this be stopping my weight loss? Why does coffee stop it?

Does anyone wlse have a prblem of falling asleep (I mean driving off the road asleep) after meals? Why is decaf bad? I put cream in.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 15:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I just replied to another one of your posts but I wanted to add here...I think U must be lacking vitamins to be so sleepy. Are U taking a stress tab [ they contain all the B vitamins].
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/174/120
BF:
Progress: 27%

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? If you aren't getting enough sleep/uninterupted sleep at night, it could be the cause of your problem.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 04:34
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 235/208/190
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks for your replies. I have been tested for apnia and narcolepsy but I have neither. Also, I do take a lot of viatmins inclusing viatamin B. Thanks for your help.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Decaf Coffee

This could certainly inhibit your weight loss if you are not counting the carbs... each cup of decaf coffee has around 1 carb (extra if you have sweetener or cream).

I have one per day with cream, no sweetener, and I have to count 1.2 carbs towards my 20 per day limit.

How does decaf coffee keep you awake? Decaf should not have any effect on your staying awake.

Non-decaf, on the other hand, will also cause an insulin spike much the same as sugar does.

Sorry about the sleep problem, but I'd keep on the doctors until they give you a good explanation.

Good luck
Kim
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 18:09
Registered Member

Stats: 230/169/165 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

ahh ... normal coffee functions just like sugar with regards to insulin levels?!? is it caffeine in general that does that? i have problems staying awake when i dont have coffee or tea in the morning .. is tea better than coffee? how about diet soda that has caffeine?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 21:22
Registered Member

Stats: 250/201/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default not gospel

I think that Atkins does not do a good job will full disclosure on the effects of coffee. The evidence that caffeine causes insulin spikes is inconclusive. The only study that gets cited is rather out of date. And I think that the wide sample of folks on this site who drink coffee (black or with heavy cream) speaks to the fact that any spiking is probably minor, if at all. You just need to experiment yourself.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: na
Stats: 225/212.5/180 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Coffee

I am a regular coffee drinker. I MUST have it in order to stay awake in the morn. I get verrrry fatigued because of my M.S. & unless I want to go on ANOTHER pres. drug to beat the fatigue, I drink coffee. My mother lost 170lbs on atkins & she drinks 6-8 cups a day(we used to own a coffee-shop) so coffee can't be all that bad. I guess it's just personal. Also, you should make sure you buy "Swiss waterprocess" decaf if you are concerned about adding chemicals to your diet. Reg.decaf is made by soaking the beans in a chemical solution to remove the caffiene. The papery inner core(break a regluar bean in 1/2 and you'll see it)rises to the surface. The same method is used in the Swiss process but, carbonated water is used.( It takes longer & is therefore more expensive coffee buzzed