Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 06:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Why it's hard to maintain weight loss

Have just come across this interesting thread in the media section, and thought that it might be a good idea to post the original article here as well.

Quote:
From the Los Angeles Times
Special report: Weight loss

Why it's hard to maintain weight loss

Can't maintain that post-diet shape? Blame your body. The brain, hormones, metabolism and fat want those pounds back.

By Shari Roan
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 2, 2008

IN HER 39 years, Claudia Hallblom has, by her own estimation, lost and regained about 1,000 pounds.

Her success at losing weight was always driven by a goal, such as looking nice for her graduation or wedding. Her tactics usually included strict calorie-counting. But success on the scales was always fleeting. Sooner or later, she would revert to her old habits and no longer feel motivated to change.

"I didn't know how to lose weight and keep it off," the Downey woman says.

Most people can lose weight. But few can maintain their new weight for long. Researchers are now tackling that problem, and what they're learning is disconcerting. The human body, it seems, is designed to sabotage weight loss at every turn -- once a body has been fatter, it wants to get back to the weight that it used to be. Physiology is cruelly changed in two ways: The body needs fewer calories to maintain itself, but its craving for food is more intense.

Becoming overweight, in other words, is like being issued a credit card with an uncomfortably high balance that you'll probably end up paying off forever. Making sure the pounds stay off means pitting one's willpower against a swarm of biological processes involving the brain, hormones, metabolism and fat storage.

"There is a big shift toward understanding long-term weight maintenance," says Paul MacLean, associate professor of medicine at the University of Colorado, Denver. "We have a huge number of diet books and diet programs, and if you do them, you can lose weight. The big problem is keeping it off. The recent estimates are that 5% to 10% of people are successful at keeping weight off on a long-term basis."

But before you throw up your hands and reach for the Twinkies, consider this: Scientists think the truth will set us free -- that understanding the stubborn biological processes at work will lead to ways to fight back and outsmart them.

Exercise, it's known, buffers the post-diet body against regaining weight, in ways that researchers are just starting to comprehend. Certain foods, scientists believe, may help stave off weight regain too. And medications now in development target some of the biochemistry thought to be linked to packing the pounds back on.

"There are strong physiological adaptations to weight loss that promote weight regain," MacLean says. "The good news is we know a big part of the problem and why we haven't been successful over the past several decades."

The energy gap

Human biology -- for obvious adaptive reasons -- is designed to protect against weight loss and potential starvation. And after a period of obesity, the body may permanently alter the way weight is regulated by more aggressively stimulating appetite and signaling the body to protect fat stores.

Metabolism has changed: the body now needs about eight fewer calories per day for each pound of weight that was lost. That means someone who loses 40 pounds will require about 320 calories fewer each day than they did before the weight loss. This difference in energy needs before and after weight loss has been dubbed the "energy gap" by University of Colorado professor James O. Hill, director of the Center for Human Nutrition in Denver.

Appetite hormones change too. The hormone leptin, for example, is a major appetite regulator -- it tells the body to stop eating and store fat after meals. Some people may be genetically prone to having lower leptin levels, making them more prone to obesity. But studies also show that, after a weight loss, leptin levels are lower than what they used to be. That means appetite is less easily quelled. It's like a car that has suddenly lost its brakes.

Another hormone, ghrelin, stimulates food intake -- levels in the brain fall lower after a meal. However, after a weight loss, ghrelin levels in the blood generally increase, and the fall-off after mealtimes isn't as marked.

"You lose 10% of your body weight. All of a sudden all these systems kick in to try to keep you from losing weight," says Dr. Ken Fujioka, director of nutrition and metabolic research at the Scripps Clinic in San Diego. "People are mad at themselves or depressed after they regain the weight. But I explain: It's not you. Biology has kicked in now. . . . You are hungry all the time. You think about food all the time."

The brain isn't the only thing acting to promote weight regain. MacLean's research suggests that the central nervous system collects and interprets signals from the intestines and peripheral tissues, such as fat stores in the abdomen, to fight weight loss or regain pounds that were lost.

Through this sensing, when calories consumed surpass calories expended, the body alters how it uses and stores fuel. Glucose becomes the preferred fuel for energy, and fat is directed to fatty tissue stores in the body. Excess glucose is also converted to fat. And studies performed at the University of Toronto using continuous glucose monitoring devices show the blood sugar levels of obese people spike and plummet routinely throughout the day while normal-weight people have more stable levels.

Each drop is a cue to eat, says Dr. Michael R. Lyon, medical and research director for the Canadian Center for Functional Medicine.

The weight comes back fast. "The entire system is saying, 'Bring the calories in, store them efficiently and do not reduce these signals until the fat is returned that was there before,' " MacLean says. "You may look like a lean person, but your body hasn't changed inside."

Moreover, animal studies show that most of the regained weight is distributed as visceral fat, the abdominal paunch that is linked to heart disease and diabetes.

Tough, but losable

So what is a dieter to do?

"There is nothing we know of that does anything to reverse this," Fujioka says of the biological forces that defend body fat. "It's very tough."

But it's not impossible. The National Weight Control Registry is an honor roll of dieters who have fought and won. Started in 1994 with modest expectations by Hill and Rena Wing, director of the weight control and diabetes research center at Brown Medical School, the registry now provides some cherished data on how regular people have managed to keep weight off. The registrants, who are surveyed regularly, have maintained a weight loss of at least 30 pounds for at least one year.

Based on data from more than 7,000 people, Wing says there are few similarities in how people lose weight. But those who succeed in maintenance sing the same song.

Instead of trying to eat less for the rest of their lives to bridge the energy gap, these people exercise more. They typically spend an hour or more each day in aerobic exercise and strictly limit time spent watching television.

Physical activity, in ways that researchers don't really understand, influences some of the biological systems that promote weight regain, encouraging the body to become more sensitive to leptin and insulin, for example.

"Everyone thinks exercise is about burning calories," Fujioka says. "But you are actually returning the system to more like what it should be. Things start working again."

The successful maintainers also change what they eat: The registry found that they keep their calories in careful balance with what they expend -- religiously referring to calorie charts and writing down everything they consume. They also tend to eat low-fat foods.

But there may be more nuances to food choices than that. "We're getting more interested in studies that look at food composition," Fujioka says. "It could be that eating certain nutrients may also help the system work better."

Studies suggest that calcium, for example, may help people regulate their weight, he says. No one really understands how calcium may do this -- in fact, the theory is controversial. But it could be that a diet high in calcium suppresses a form of vitamin D called calcitriol that revs up fat-burning processes.

Other research has focused on foods that balance blood-sugar levels, such as low-glycemic and fibrous foods. Studies show that eating low-glycemic foods, such as lentils and nuts and foods with high water or fiber content, helps stabilize blood sugar and curb the brain signals that urge people to eat. Fiber does this by slowing the absorption of carbohydrates from food, which helps lower their glycemic load.

"Weight loss alone is not a realistic goal," Lyon says. "It can do more harm than good. The key is to get your brain back on your side. The starting point of that is stabilizing blood sugar."

It's easier after two years

Scientists don't know how long it would take to return the physiological responses of a once-obese body to normal -- or if, indeed, that ever is quite possible.

Studies do show, however, that weight regain is most likely in the first couple of years after weight loss. And Wing says that registry data shows that people who maintain their weight loss find the first two years difficult but eventually adapt comfortably to their new habits and lifestyles.

"After that, it's as if you master the technique," she says.

The current research on obesity strongly points to two messages that rely heavily on human behavior: Don't gain excess weight in the first place, and if you do, be prepared to make permanent lifestyle changes to lose it and maintain the loss.

Hallblom finally lost 63 pounds over a period of 14 months by adhering to Weight Watchers' principles -- such as learning the nutritional content of food and keeping track of her food intake -- and taking up vigorous exercise: running 10 to 12 miles a week and working out three times weekly on an elliptical machine.

She has maintained her healthy weight for seven years and in 2001 was hired by Weight Watchers to improve its services to Spanish-speaking clients in Southern California. She says she wishes she had realized years ago that maintaining a new weight required a very different kind of lifestyle -- forever.

"This time," she says, "I was ready to make permanent changes to improve my life."

http://www.latimes.com/features/hea...87.story?page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
I blame bad habits.

LC'ing has given us the tools to use so that when we reach our goals, we'll know how to maintain it. Where it breaks down is when we reach our goal, and go off program. IMHO, it's as simple as that.
I thought that Haggis's reply to the thread was a very good one and one that I am in total agreement with.

Would be interesting to hear what all you other maintainers think
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 08:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Great article Demi!

Quote:
"Weight loss alone is not a realistic goal," Lyon says. "It can do more harm than good. The key is to get your brain back on your side. The starting point of that is stabilizing blood sugar."

This statement is so true.....those who only focus on how fast they can lose it will have trouble in maintenance IMO. OR those who only focus on weight loss and not look to make a food plan that they can live with after the losing is over, IE: stayng too low in total carbs.

I am now well into my 3rd year of maintaining and it does get easier over time. My desires for foods that I used to crave all the time, have greatly diminished over time. Finally! I don't rememeber the last time I had Dreamfields and I don't miss it.

For me, there is no going back to the way I used to eat. I've also realized that I was never willing to do all that I do today, to manage my weight. I did not ever cook for myself, I never got on a scale and I surely did not keep track of all the starch that I ate and had a very bad attitude about it all.

I've asked those who are slim their whole lives, what they do to manage their weight. I thought they'd tell me that they do not have to watch themsleves but they do....they weigh regularly and eat according to what the scale tells them. They generally have good and healthy eating habits.

I had really poor eating habits and needed to teach myself good ones. I like the way I eat today. We do not break old habits, we teach ourselves new ones.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 03:31
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I think that's a really good article.
Next month will be a year for me maintaining just below my goal weight.
Sad to think I have another year before I can sorta "relax" about it all.
A part of me is always afraid I will regain the weight, although I have no desire to eat the way I used to eat.
A few pounds up on the scales and I start freaking out.

I think you have dont a great job Judy, 3 years is a long time in my book.

Thanks for the article Demi. I just hope I will be able to keep maintaining for life.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 04:47

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Good info. August will be my 4-year anniversary of tossing the sugar bowl; I'm not exactly sure how long I've been maintaining.

What's interesting for me is that I've only recently (last 2-3 months) had a tough time with maintaining. It's a combo of extreme busyiness and a lot of stress (family, work, school, etc.) that's pulling me down. I've been spending a lot of time alone with Hubby on long weekends (honeymoon time!) but I've also been eating what he eats...not good for me.

Recently I found a pic of him, one of our great friends and me together from approx 2 years ago. I realized he's put on several pounds in the mid-section and face. He was doing really well for a time, but has slipped back into old patterns of pizza, cheeseburgers & fries, etc. He seems to think that working out twice a week keeps him from gaining; it doesn't. Especially not at 50! So I'm trying to learn from him and so I don't get fluffy again. Hey, it's bathing suit time!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 07:41
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I think this is a very interesting article, and it shows the lack of info on maintaining. How many DIET books are out there- thousands! How many MAINTAINING books- I have found 3 or 4 (only a couple from this century!).
The NWLR is very biased towards low fat diets as there have been so many more people on those plans. I think more LC losers have gotten on recently. Another group that is being studied (better late than never) are people having gatric bypass- how many of them regain and why/how?

For me, this is an ongoing journey. I eat totally differently than I did, and I know this is it for life. It is all about the insulin for me- and I know I am just managing this issue with my eating and that it is just a matter of time that I am sick again if I go off plan.
Judy, I don't think I would be willing to do all that I do just for weight either. If my health were not the primary concern I think it would be very very hard to stay OP. I have noticed that lots of us maintainers had other goals and other areas we focused on besides the weight. Like being more active, or doing things with our famiies, or being able to get off meds- whatever the personal reasons.
For me, maintaining just is what I do. Still tweaking, still learning, totally committed.Still On Plan.
E
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:31

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

I am just starting the maintenance thing, and I am kind of worried about wether or not I will be as successful at keeping the weight off as I was at losing it. Those are all great tips you guys gave, I appreciate them alot.

#7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 20:01

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengu1
I am just starting the maintenance thing, and I am kind of worried about wether or not I will be as successful at keeping the weight off as I was at losing it. Those are all great tips you guys gave, I appreciate them alot.

You might want to think about joining our weekly weigh in. It’s been a big help to myself and I’m sure many others.

Bo
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 04:36
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I agree that you should join the weekly weigh in Penju1. It has really helped me stay on track during the weekends. I'm very careful not to over do it because I know I will have to come post my weight.
Well, most of the time it helps, not always.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 04:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengu1

Congrats on your loss; you've done a great job! Maintaining is a different world for me. I discovered I was really getting an adrenaline-type rush every time I got on that scale and the number was lower -- which was most of the time during my weightloss phase. I've had to gradually get used to the fact that the scale is not supposed to be lower every other day like it was during the first year or so. It's a let-down, really. I'm sure that says something about me pyschologically...

Anyway, for me it has to be "one day at a time" in maintainance. I must remind myself daily that every day is not a special occasion and, even though I do not intend to swear off cake for the rest of my life, I don't need to eat every crappy grocery store cake that someone brings into the office. Nor do I need to pig out on pizza every weekend with my husband (I've been doing too much of that!) but I can indulge on those occasions that are truly special...you'll be able to define your own version of "special" and make it work for you.

Best of luck over the long haul!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Maintenance is so much harder than I ever thought it would be. It seems I'm doing Induction at least 2-3 weeks out of every month for a couple of treats like fruit, LC bread/cereal, LC dessert, or even LC pasta.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 08:01
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzyanna
Maintenance is so much harder than I ever thought it would be. It seems I'm doing Induction at least 2-3 weeks out of every month for a couple of treats like fruit, LC bread/cereal, LC dessert, or even LC pasta.

Have you added in carbs according to the OWL ladder?

Foods like processed carbs as in LC breads, cereals and or desserts....can be tricky for many. Eating carbs in their whole state does not effect my body the same as processed. I allow myself to eat a real bagel about once a month as thats all my body can tolerate. I do not eat low carb breads as I want to eat whole grain products if and when I do eat them. I have found the the sprouted grain flourless breads by Ezekiel, are very good!

I can eat 2-3 fruit servings day and not see any gain at all. Its the grains where I have to get very strict with myself. I also have to watch it on overeating calorie dense foods like nuts and cheese as I can easily overeat in those.

I find that I float between all the phase of my chosen plan(SBD). Its just the way it is for me to manage my weight...in a healthy way for me.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 04:50

BF:

Quote:
I can eat 2-3 fruit servings day and not see any gain at all. Its the grains where I have to get very strict with myself. I also have to watch it on overeating calorie dense foods like nuts and cheese as I can easily overeat in those.

Me, too. I do fine with as much fruits and veggies as I desire...which can be a lot during this time of year! But I have to watch carefully with grains. I pick and choose what's really important and then limit serving size. I eat brown rice, for instance, from time-to-time, but I eat 1/4 cup of it cooked. I occasionally eat sugar-free instant oatmeal (McCann's is great if I'm really in a hurry) but I eat ONE packet of it and then no more grains that day.

My problem lately has been throwing caution to the wind when spending time with Hubby. I realized the other day, though, that he's gained a significant amount of weight back -- why would I think I could eat what eats and not gain? Insanity. So I put the kybosh on that. Today when I weighed I see I'm moving back to my comfortable range. Ahhhhh....
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 08:03
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
My problem lately has been throwing caution to the wind when spending time with Hubby. I realized the other day, though, that he's gained a significant amount of weight back -- why would I think I could eat what eats and not gain? Insanity. So I put the kybosh on that. Today when I weighed I see I'm moving back to my comfortable range. Ahhhhh....

Good for you Corinne!!

So no more pizza for a while? Hopefully your DH will start to see pizza more as an occasional treat and not a regular food group.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-08, 22:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I'm not an expert in the effects of exercise on appetite, but I haven't noticed that exercise suppresses it. In fact, when I come home from a workout, the first thing I want to do (after changing clothes) is eat an enormous salad with lots of dressing. I indulge on the lettuces, but I'm careful with the amount of dressing. In fact, I think I read something by Lyle McDonald (an exercise-weight guru) that says that exercising stimulates appetite, which is why exercise alone works against weight loss.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-08, 10:13
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I'm not an expert in the effects of exercise on appetite, but I haven't noticed that exercise suppresses it. In fact, when I come home from a workout, the first thing I want to do (after changing clothes) is eat an enormous salad with lots of dressing. I indulge on the lettuces, but I'm careful with the amount of dressing. In fact, I think I read something by Lyle McDonald (an exercise-weight guru) that says that exercising stimulates appetite, which is why exercise alone works against weight loss.

I know that for me....I did not do formal working out as I lost my weight. The guys at my local gym do not get that I did it with diet and walking alone. They are stunned at my long term success. Most people automatically think that if they go to the gym to exercise, they will lose weight...I keep telling them that their food plan will effect their weight loss more than their exercise plan.