Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: The Diet Solution
Stats: 140/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Starting Maintenance with The Diet Solution

Hi all. I've been a sometimes participant, and a lurker for quite a long time. I've been on and off Atkins, Zero Carbs, then off on a vegie/fruit/nut tangent but instead of screwing around with this and that, I've decided to use The Diet Solution.

This WOE is sort of a tweaked Atkin's Maintenance program and I hope to follow it to help me eat healthy and maintain my present weight (5'6"/135 lbs/65 years old). My purpose in posting will be to chart my progress, and I hope to encourage others too!! Besides it's really fun to meet new people and be part of a group of folks who are interested in health and wellness.

For me personally I've found some of the stricter programs make me feel terrific, but I can't sustain the momentum - I either want to add veggies and fruit/nuts to the meat thing, or I want to add meat to the veggie/fruit only thing.

So life being short, and me being at my optimum weight, I started looking around for some WOE that was kind of in the middle.

I found the carb ladder of Atkins difficult because I'm too impatient to add things back one and a time to get the correct balance. Instead The Diet Solution suggests a calorie level, a metabolic type, and food choices and meal plans to go along with that.

Ordinarily I HATE meal plans but in this case I'll use them for a few weeks until I have the pattern down, then I can wing it.

For the most part I'll be eating 'reasonable' portions of meat, mostly very low carb veggies, a small amount of low carb fruit, some nuts and nut butters, lots of coconut milk and oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, eggs, butter - and not much else. Oh, and blue agave as a sweetener.

Things I will NOT eat: all grains including corn, all dairy except butter, all prepared foods and all store bought treats.

I will be sprouting seeds and nuts to add to salads, and when a treat is called for I'll be using nuts and dates for 'pastry', and fruit mixtures and coconut products for fillings, and making 'ice cream' with coconut milk and frozen fruits - and other things like that. I will add HWC at times as well for 'company' treats.

So that's it. If anyone is interested in specifics about the metabolic typing, or other information on The Diet Solution just ask.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 13:13

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'd be curious about your choice of blue agave. Isn't it high fructose?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-10, 14:07

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
I'd be curious about your choice of blue agave. Isn't it high fructose?

I heard the same thing about agave nectar. but, I'm curious about the
diet plan.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 08:07
Registered Member

BF:

it may be fructose but I don't care. It tastes good, you only need a little once in a while and it does not raise blood sugar rapidly. I'm at the point in my life where I want to eat well, use what I can to make things taste good, and forget the "purity" angle.

If I use a teaspoon daily that's about it and sometimes I don't us it at all - it's there as a tool when I need it. I'm finding veggies and fruit to be sweet enough.

I've used it to stir into a little coconut milk as a treat, or a quick splash in lemon/ginger tea.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 10:02
Registered Member

BF:

Catdookie you wanted to know about the Diet Solution? Well, as I think about it it is very much like South Beach, and like Atkins maintenance too. I got it off the net and paid $50 which was really a waste - but I was looking for something new to give me a kick start.

I do like the meal plans/guidelines as I was getting a bit crazy not knowing what to eat.

I'd lie in bed in the morning freaking out not knowing what the heck to eat!!! That's a horrible feeling. So now I'm going to use you wonderful people for inspiration, and going to moderate, maintain, go up the carb ladder and see if I can stay under 138 which gives me some wriggle room. I guess that's reasonable for my age - and I'm still struggling at 65 with menopause - just gone back on bio-identical HRT.

The Diet Solution has a quite long audio on their site which sort of explains their program. But I wish I hadn't spent the money as most of the information is Atkins light.