Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 08:15

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Avocados

I love avocados
BUT
when I see them at the store, I don't know which ones to buy
I don't know how long it takes for them to get ripe

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

When they give slightly to a gentle squeeze, they are ready to go. I like to buy a rock hard one (usually needs 4-5 days in counter), a relatively hard one (about 3 days) and one that gives just slightly for that day or the next.
If they all ripen at once, toss them in fridge. It will help them keep for a few days.
To ripen faster, store in Brown paper bag on counter.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

All are good. Just two sizes to pick from. So pick which fits your need. Usually half a small on, the dark green rough skinned avocado, fits a daily serving. Other half will keep in refridge a day or two in a plastic bag.

No flavor difference between med green smooth skin and the smaller one.

To check ripeness.....

Less ripe is firm and almost rock hard. Overripe gets flattened it is so soft. Avoid the latter when buying, but us usually ok to eat.

You can eat a firm avocado, or if you like softer creamier texture, let ripen on kitchen counter.

Put in refridge once ripe that will slow further ripenung until use. I also put them in freezer if I bought a lot on sale.

Lots of uses/ recipes. Scooping and eating with spoon is my prefered recipe.

Also....avocadoes are the number one cause of knife cuts. Especially removing pit with knife. I dont use knife to remove pits.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 10:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Also....avocadoes are the number one cause of knife cuts. Especially removing pit with knife. I dont use knife to remove pits.

I was using technique i was told was safe way on internet, a few years ago. Halve it, then stick knife in our to remove. As I pulled knife from pit, it slipped and I needed stitches.
Person stitching me said avocados are huge reason for ER visit. So I asked her safe technique. She didn't know .

I was gifted an avocado pitter after this incident, and highly recommend it, or just use spoon to pit.

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Dec-31-19 at 12:24. Reason: Fixing quote tag
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 12:13

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I love making smoothies with my avocados so I prefer mine to be pretty ripe when needed, and will usually make at least 2 smoothies per week. With 2 avos per smoothie that's at least 4 avos that I'll buy each weekend at the supermarket.

Depending on the available range when I get there, I try and grab a couple that are darkening on the outside already and have just a faint hint of give in them when gently squeezed, and another couple that aren't quite so ripe for later that week. I'll sit them all out on a plate on the coffee table in the living room and just let them ripen of their own accord, with the added option of just placing any in the fridge that I feel might be getting a little ahead of themselves, just to slow the process down a little.

There's a bit of trial and error to it I suppose, but you start to get the hang of works best for you with a few goes. It's not like avos are too expensive anyway (at least not for me where they're in season right now).
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 12:20

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
When they give slightly to a gentle squeeze, they are ready to go. I like to buy a rock hard one (usually needs 4-5 days in counter), a relatively hard one (about 3 days) and one that gives just slightly for that day or the next.
If they all ripen at once, toss them in fridge. It will help them keep for a few days.
To ripen faster, store in Brown paper bag on counter.

Thanks, these are very helpful
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 20:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
I was using technique i was told was safe way on internet, a few years ago. Halve it, then stick knife in our to remove. As I pulled knife from pit, it slipped and I needed stitches.
Person stitching me said avocados are huge reason for ER visit. So I asked her safe technique. She didn't know .

I was gifted an avocado pitter after this incident, and highly recommend it, or just use spoon to pit.

My friend did this but she severed tendons in her hand. She needed two surgeries to repair it. I stopped using a knife to pit avocados.
Now I either scoop the pit out with a spoon and scrape it clean of the flesh or if its soft enough, just gently squeeze the avocado half and the pit will pop out.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 08:21

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

There are two main overall types of avocados: Haas and “Florida.”

Haas are smaller, darker green, and pitted. Florida are larger, lighter green, and smoother skin. The biggest nutrition difference, from what I’ve read, is that the Haas avocado has a higher fat content and therefore is healthier and has more flavor. The Florida avocado holds its shape better when cut because it is more firm. Source: avoseedo.com.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 10:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

To open a (Haas) avocado, I cut it lengthwise on one side, flip it and cut it lengthwise on the other side, then twist one half clockwise/toward me and the other counterclockwise/away from me. It will open pretty easily. Then I take a spoon and scoop out the pit.