Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 10:17

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Anyone with CFS got cured?

I have adrenal fatigue.... I have felt great on pregnenolone although that is causing my insuline resistence to worsen and now I want to stop it. Any help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 10:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got nothing for ya. Just wanted to respond in case no one else did. I hope you get to feeling better!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 13:54

BF:

I know noone posts here anymore. But if someone eventually finds out how to get out of this I want to hear....I cannot stop being hopeful
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: Mine
Stats: 127/127/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Adrenal Fatigue

I too, have been dx'd w/CFS, as well as FM. The adrenal fatigue plays a big part in it. I took a supplement my OMD/Chiropractor gave me called Adrenogen, by Metagenics. That helped a lot. Very high doses of some B vitamins and Raw Adrenal Extract. He determined the dose via muscle testing. He also gave me a supplement to help with the blood sugar issues (which at the time I didn't even know I had) called Insinase, also by Metagenics. At the time, my electrolyte balance was screwed up, was having rapid heart palpitations, blood pressure so low I almost passed out everytime I stood up and got dizzy if I moved my head suddenly, had chest pain, shortness of breath, I was a mess.
I also take Pregnenolone. It's about the only thing that helps with my brain fog. BUT, it seems to worsen my endometriosis, another autoimmune like disease/gift of bad health I've acquired since all this began. So I can't take it much.

I've read some fabulous books on Adrenal Fatigue and Cortisone lately. I'll get the names for you. It has tips on less hardcore (than Pregnenolone) supplements and herbs to try. A good place to start definitely seems like going on a low-carb diet plan. I've been doing South Beach for the last month and I think it's helped. Hang in there!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 16:15
Registered Member

BF:

Here are the books:

Adrenal fatigue : the 21st century stress syndrome : what it is and how you can recover your energy, immune resistance, vitality and enjoyment of life Wilson, James L.

The cortisol connection : why stress makes you fat and ruins your health - and what you can do about it Talbott, Shawn M.

Why we hurt : a complete physical and spiritual guide to healing your chronic pain Fors, Greg, 1951-
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-08, 07:06

BF:

Thanks Veggrrl,
I have read these books and have tried similar supplements you have mentioned. I have found releif but my problem is I need to balance adrenal fatigue symptoms with insuline resistence symptoms.

I have titered down pregnenlone to the lowest dosage and trying to do stuff for insuline resistence now. I know I can manage it. BUt where is the cure?

Last edited by chandbaby1 : Tue, Sep-02-08 at 08:19.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-08, 14:54
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

I know
I wish I had something to tell you. My life has been destroyed by all this. It's been 6 years since I first got sick, and I can't keep a job, even a measly 18.5 hours a week in 3-4 hour shifts was too much. Had to move in with my father in a retirement community, and am on my 2nd appeal for Social Security, which they won't grant me because there are no "objective findings" (lab tests) to corroborate how sick I am, and I think a little prejudice...you almost can't blame them when it's called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ridiculous. If working wasn't like banging my head against the wall and kept making me sicker and more depressed every time I get fired because I can't keep up...well if there was any way I could, I'd do it. The only doctor I was able to afford to see, because he gave me credit, was the Holistic Chiropractor I mentioned (also the only one who helped at all, as I tried all kinds before I ran out of money, and even had to stop seeing him after I got stabilized) and then they also penalized me (Social Security) because they don't take a chiropractors word, even though I went 3 times a week for months and they had a documentation of my symptoms, but I couldn't afford a "real" doctor so it meant nothing...umm, that's why I need benefits!
I would be homeless if not for my father happening to have the opportunity to buy a place right at the moment when I was out of options. Sick and homeless despite my best efforts. But he can't house me AND support me too! And most people think things like this don't happen in the U.S.A. ...
I guess our best bet is to raise awareness, hope they figure something out and start taking our plight more seriously.
These are life changing illnesses...They need to quit labeling us with ludicrous sounding ailments and DO something to help us!
I guess for now it's up to us to help ourselves, and each other...hang in there...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-08, 15:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1
Thanks Veggrrl,
I have read these books and have tried similar supplements you have mentioned. I have found releif but my problem is I need to balance adrenal fatigue symptoms with insuline resistence symptoms.

I have titered down pregnenlone to the lowest dosage and trying to do stuff for insuline resistence now. I know I can manage it. BUt where is the cure?

Sorry guess I went off on a bit of a tangent. Insulin resistance. Cinnamon is supposed to be good for leveling blood sugar. The chiropractor gave me a Garcinia Cambogia supplement last time I went. It's known as diet supplement, but also helps cortisol imbalance, and increases fat burning. If at all possible I'd check out that Insinase stuff I told you about as well. Google R-kinase. Something about a protein or something that affects the immune system being off in us. That's mainly what they talk about it, the effects on the immune system, but I believe it also affects insulin metabolism, hence the supplement. That chiropractor is brilliant. Wish I could still see him!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-08, 16:00
Registered Member

BF:

Oh, also you might want to check out this supplement, Fibro-response. If you read closely, it has some of the adaptogenic and stress/cortisol helping herbs/ingredients described in those books, as well as natural anti-inflammatories and other good stuff. I'm going to try it as soon as I can afford it. Here's the description: http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1116/
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-08, 09:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I don't think it's possible to be "cured" but you can certainly find a way to feel better. I've found that I feel much better when I avoid my trigger foods, and avoid other chemical triggers (such as chlorine from swimming pools) and get enough rest, the symptoms are much, much milder.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 07:23

BF:

I am soo sorry veggrrl, I can totally understand your plight. This thing did ruin me from the past 2 years when it started right after a year of getting married to the man I love. I am able to keep my job although not all days are the same but i manage. I have a loving husband and a great family to support. But the thing is I feel broken inside. everything seems an effort...it is like i am living someones elses life not my own

These alternative medicine people suck the money out of you when there is already less you can do about it. May be these thing do work but the inventry of these is so large that you get lost. I goto an alternative physician actually. after the initial bbost i haven made more progress.
I mean anyone can feel better with steroid hormone but what is it that is causing my problems...god knows.