Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 15:21

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 153/148/125 Female 5'2"
BF:38% / 38% / 28%
Progress: 18%
Default Effect of Muscle Relaxers on Weight Loss

Does anyone know the effect of muscle relaxers or vicodin on weight loss? After running a temp of 102.5 with flu a few days ago, my fibro kicked in with a vengance last night. I took 2 muscle relaxers and a vicodin to stop crying. This morning my weight was up by 1/2 pound.

This is the first I've taken pain meds since weight loss. Does anyone have experience with it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 22:40

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 291.5/259/135 Female 66 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 21%

I wish I knew. I live on pain meds and occasional nerve meds to bring pain down. As it relaxes my muscles I wonder how it impacts my metabolism.

Sorry, I can't help.

Jimsbride
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 22:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/182/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was hoping someone had responded to this question. I too take pain meds on a fairly regular basis and muscle relaxants for chronic back pain. I've been wondering if that could hinder weight loss, not that it would change the fact that I sometimes need the pain meds.

Deb
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 08:50

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

This is an educated guess, but any meds are filtered by the liver, and the liver is a major fat burning organ. Apparently, if
it is slowed down, so can be weightloss. It's why I would try to find natural means to help with muscle pain. Have you ever tried extra magnesium for muscle pain? It can help with muscle spasm type pain. It is usually taken with calcium also. Try searching the web for your conditions and see if there are any natural ways to rememdy them. Again, my opinion only.
Know how bad pain can be, especially if it is continuous.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 10:12

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 153/148/125 Female 5'2"
BF:38% / 38% / 28%
Progress: 18%
Default Thanks for Responses

The flare went back to my normal, in fact, after the intensive 5-simultaneous antibiotic treatment preparatory to lyme retesting, it has IMPROVED !. (After the extreme nausea died down, altho my back end is still feeling the effects. )

Thanks for all the input. I have been unable to take my normal supplements (including magnesium and calcium) for several months, again preparatory for lyme retesting.

Since this has improved my energy, and lyme testing is so unreliable, I suspect we will go ahead with lyme treatment even if the tests are all negative. I was just hoping for documentation in order to coax insurance to pay more of the treatment costs because it can end up VERY expensive.

Again; thanks for your replies.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 17:46

Plan: Gen LC, Atkins influence
Stats: 264/251/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I don't have fibro, but I have chronic back pain that I'm on flexeril and darvocet for, and I've found that it doesn't affect my loss, even when taken together. That being said, though, one of my daughter's nurses had fibro and was using darvocet as well, and she found that she really noticed a change in her weight when she was having a particularly rough time but things got better when she didn't need to take anything.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 08:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/233/110 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think i may have fibro. I have alot of pain in my back and legs. the MRI shows nothing wrong and I would like to know what kind of systoms do you have. I am also on meds for nerve pain and muscle relaxants. Sometime I wonder does being over weight cause this kind of pain. Please help me if you can.Thank in advance
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 21:39

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have fibro and i noticed an increase in my weight after switching from flexoril to soma and etodalac
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 21:08

Plan: whey protein
Stats: 135/110/110 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I took valerian for pain at one point years ago, and gained 5 lbs, although my food intake was the same. My impression is that muscle relaxants seemed to lower my slightly low blood pressure, and that makes me blah, sluggish, and inclined to develop a little fluid retention. My blood pressure isn't low anymore, but it was then.

I had never heard of vicodan until I watched House, M.D. It's interesting the way they explore the issue of chronic pain and an addicting med like vicodan. I haven't actually been pain-free since I was a child and am disabled by the fatigue, lack of stamina, and head to foot pain. I'm used to it. On another website a doctor remarked that even if vicodan is addicting, it does kill pain, which allows the person to function. People often don't realize that constant pain is a constant distraction. You can only "push through it" so far, and then you just can't.

In fact, I noticed when looking at avatars, that many looked like the "fake" smile I put on when talking with people, but the one I chose looks like the way I feel.

Last edited by csusie : Thu, Jan-10-08 at 21:14.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 14:28

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 200/199/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF: A lot!
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBecky
I don't have fibro, but I have chronic back pain that I'm on flexeril and darvocet for, and I've found that it doesn't affect my loss, even when taken together. That being said, though, one of my daughter's nurses had fibro and was using darvocet as well, and she found that she really noticed a change in her weight when she was having a particularly rough time but things got better when she didn't need to take anything.

I take the same meds and I was trying to figure out if I gained w/ them. I think the IBU will slow me down more than anything else. Once I thought the flexeril actually helped ( not greatly) the process... strange but true. maybe its because it actually gave me energy to function more than usual.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 18:20

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Years ago I went to "Jenny Craig." (Yes, I know...cover my mouth!! Shame!) Well, I followed the plan exactly, and the only weeks I didn't lose were the weeks I was taking painkillers like Aspirin or Tylenol.
My counselor said that they do indeed affect weight loss.

Just thought I'd mention it because some muscle relaxers have aspirin or acetominophen in them.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 19:24

Plan: whey protein
Stats: 135/110/110 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just to remark that overeating can be a way to cope with pain or anxiety. I'm taking an herbal mix at night for better sleep (contains a little valerian) and watching closely during the day for increased appetite. While thinking about it though, it occurred to me that years ago I noticed myself eating sometimes to feel more comfortable in the evening (like cherry cobbler - yum!). I guess it was a last resort because at the time I still tried to ignore my chronic muscle pain and took no pain relievers or sleep aids, using caffeine to "get on top of the pain" and find something to be enthused about so I wouldn't feel pain so much.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 12:26

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

yes the liver is a major fat burning organ..so what i do to control all fats is before anything goes into my body first thing in the morning is a hot lemon drink and one before going to bed...helps to eleminate the fat..all you have to do is boil water for one cup and add the jucie of half a lemon...
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I Agree with most of the above. I used to do the lemon drink, but am being a bit strict with the carbs right now. One note....stay close to a bathroom after taking it in the morning!

It does sound like you had fluid buildup for such a fast gain. The liver was mentioned, but the kidney is responsible for many meds and there are quite a few changes in blood chemistry going on with some meds and various organs ( adrenals etc).

ALso if you were bed ridden or immobilized, your lymphatic system was probably backed up. Doing a bit of bouncing will help move fluids through the system. It will also stimulate the metabolism and help clear your organs.

Just my 2 cents,
Colin