Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 04:53

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default Well here I go......

After lackluster results in the gym doing a "routine" program, I have decided to step up and try Body for Life starting Monday. I like the idea of shorter workout days, even though in exchange you are going 6 days per week.

So I will let you all know how I feel after next week. I didn't buy the book, but read every thread on teh sticky above, and have completely read the BFL website. I also downloaded all the free daily spreadsheets from the site.

I am going with a modified low carb as my nutrition. Will be shooting for around 2,300 calories, 55 carbs, 170 grams of protein. Is that enough protein? Or should I supplement with EVEN MORE protein powder? I have calculated my LBM to be around 196 lbs. I had read the guidelines of 1 g per lb of LBM, but that seems almost impossible for somebody my size to reach. That and eating 6 times per day will be my biggest challange.

Also, I have read where people do the protein shakes in yogurt.....that taste pretty good? because I tried both the glutamine and shake mix in water, and can barely stand the stuff. I think I will try yogurt to help me get it down.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 07:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Hi mrschmelz,

Welcome to the BFL forum and congratulations on your decision to start BFL. Red1Cutie recently posted a very good synopsis of the BFL program in this thread.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=162091
Although I would suggest getting the book, you might want to try your local library.

If I were you, I'd strive for that 1g of protein/lb of LBM. You might find it easier than you think to eat that much protein when you are eating a portion of protein 6 times a day. With the numbers you've given you would be getting 900 calories from carbs and protein, leaving 1400 calories to come from fat. That would be about 155.5 grams of fat per day. So taking away some of that fat for a little more protein might work for you. I think that around 55 - 60 grams of carbs a day is a good starting point for a low-carber, then adjust as you find necessary as you go along.

Although you can get most of the information about BFL from the web, one of the things about the book is that it concentrates a lot on motivational stuff and helps you to set very specific goals. Most people who start BFL don't complete the three-month challenge not because they can't physically do it, but because they loose the motivation to do it. I think it helps a lot to have very specific and realistic goals to achieve.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy doing BFL as much as I have.

Arnie
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 12:49

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I agree with Arnie on the protein. I have never bought the shake mixes; I just buy whey protein powder and make my own shakes. I absolutely HATE whey protein in my yogurt, but that's just me, a lot of people like it. When I was doing lower carbs (I'm doing the BFL diet now) I mixed the whey protein powder with unsweetened soy milk and DaVinci syrup. Tastes pretty good to me, good enough for my 2-year-old to drink it as well! I also mix glutamine in protein shakes. Tastes fine but doesn't blend well. I think the glumamine also tastes fine (can't really taste it) mixed with yogurt or cottage cheese. HTH!

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 21:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

i have just started BFL as well. i've already lost 40lbs but was so motivated by the book i switched over to it. it hasn't been long enough to record results as of yet, but the mind body connection bill phillips uses in his book is great--also, every time i feel myself faltering i watch the body of work video. i was so depressed the first couple of days i started and it has really helped me with the motivation. so i think you can do it with the resources you HAVE, however, i think the book and the video tape (proceeds for the tape go to the make a wish foundation, btw) are great for motivating the mind. best of luck! btw, why isn't this forum more active like the atkins forum?!?! i would love to chat with more people doing the bfl!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 02:26

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the tips everyone. I went ahead and did purchase the book, I found it on Half.com for $11(that includes shipping).

I will try and hang around and post over here and see how things go.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 08:48
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi mrschmelz:

Ditto to what everyone says, ESPECIALLY the protein. You shouldn't find it hard to get your fill of protein, especially when you're supplementing with protein shakes and eating 6 times per day.

My post workout shake is crushed ice, whey protein, 1 cup of soy milk, 130 g pumpkin (I use butternut squash b/c it's sweeter), 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, L-glutamine and stevia (or dextrose if I need it). If I'm really bad, for a treat, I'll add DaVinci caramel syrup into the mix. Yum!

Enjoy the book! I couldn't have done my first challenge without its inspiration.

Wanda