Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 22:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 287/272/210
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default "your call for quitters"

Good job Atriana!
I can apreciate everything you've been going through. Ive spent some time reading your entrys. I just wanted to give you some encouragement and let you know its important to bend and not break while trying to quit. I've been smoke free for 41 days. Like ive said before my enthusiasm fades from time to time but my resolve never breaks. Remember why you quit and at all costs stay busy!
good luck
scott
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

41 days, you are definately my hero! OK, now for the other part, how much weight have you gained since you have quit? I am up to 7 pounds, about 1/3 of a pound per day. If I keep this up I will gain 100 pounds after a year. I'm scared!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 20:13

BF:

I started atkins at the same time so i lost 15 pounds! I had to change my whole lifestyle from everything i eat to hobbies to work ethic everything, I imagined the person i wanted to be, i thought of what it would take to get there and went for it and have not looked back.
My only advice is to stop useing the nico substitutes they drag the withdrawls out for months. Just stop now. Dont smoke for 2 weeks and youll see that the withdrawls are manageable after that. Stay busy and find something to do all the time you have available. And if something unecessary causes triigers you to smoke, dont do it.
good luck
scott
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 08:10

BF:

Yes, but I was already on Atkins when I stopped smoking, have been since August. At or near induction levels. Don't know what to do, according to the scale I am now 10 pounds heavier than when I started. I lose slowly - it took me 10 weeks to lose those 10 pounds and now they have returned in 3 weeks. I think I would rather be thin and a smoker than fat and a miserable non smoker. My mother died of a smoking related disease. I am aware of the health implications. Actually, dying earlier than usual doesn't scare me. In the last couple of years, my entire family has died. Grandparents, parents, child. I am the only one left - no one will be directly affected if I died sooner than I would as a non smoker.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Oh Atriana, don't talk like that. We would miss you here. And I'm sure there are people in you life who love you very much and would be affected very much if anything happened to you. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your family. I lost my mother to smoking related disease as well. It still hurts sometimes. But, you must take care of your self for the other people who care, and most of all, for yourself

Now, you hang in there, you are not alone,

cimart
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:02

BF:

Well, I'm suprised. I know when the time comes i'm going to be reluctant to go. Its not just about when you die its about how you die. How would you like to die for 5 years while cancer slowly eats at your lungs and finaly drown in your on bodily fluids, or maybe not die at all. They may remove your voice box so you can sing christmas carols from a battery operated hand-held voice box! Then you can look back and realize how easy it was to just quit, and how hard your making it now. The worst thing that could happen isnt always death! I hope i dont sound too rough but frankly from reading alot of your entries I think your too tough to give up now and imagine if you were successful what an acomplishment that would be! You would be part of a few strong quitters instead of the many who let a chemical kick there
Stick with it, Youll be glad you did!
Scott
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Atriana,

Have you tracked measurements as well?

There are two components of smoking that effect weight. A thermogenic effect, and the cravings. The thermogenic effect is responsible for 5-10 lbs, and does not continue, i.e. you shouldn't keep gaining because of it, and should be able to resume weight loss at the previous rate. This can be countered with addtional exercise or thermogenic stimulants (not a recommendation, just an option to consider). As for the cravings, they effect quitters same like everyone else.

But I understand how you feel that being thin and a smoker than fat and miserable. I feel the same way. But chances are it's my addiction talking, as the science behind doesn't add up.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 09:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by scottmeyer
Its not just about when you die its about how you die. Scott

I believe more in the "its about how you live". I think I was misunderstood here, I don't have a death wish - if I did I would choose a much speedier method than smoking, LOL.

tamarian - I haven't picked up a tape measure lately, but I have that puffy, bloated feeling everywhere - so there is a good chance that at least some of it is water. You are actually the second person to mention the thermogenic stimulants to me, I think I might try them for a week or so and see if helps. As long as this 10 pounds will level off and I won't keep gaining weight each day I will keep on going.

Thanks everyone!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 09:17

Plan: Atkins (again)
Stats: 160/158/137
BF:
Progress: 9%
Red face Had to Quit

I'm so happy

Never thought I could possibly quit AND stick to a diet. Not that I've been perfect. I'm smoke free today for 8 days, and for 7 of them ('cept yesterday) I stuck to my Atkins basics. What absolutely blows my mind is that when I went to the gym after a week of not-smoking, I had lost 8 lbs (I'd been on Atkins for about two weeks and then the loss was sudden.) I don't have a lot to lose, but I just REFUSE to gain weight. I worked hard just to get where I am.

You people have been soooooo helpful...I've read all the posts and just was lazy about posting/joining....but....thought I'd let you know I'm with you. by the way, the decision to quit smoking came as a demand...I had pleurisy and felt terrible.
Pain is a great motivator...now I have more energy than I've had in ages.

We can do this!

Best to all
Culli
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 17:13

BF:

culliallan - congratulations on your new smokefree atkins lifestyle! You sound like you are doing great!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 03:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 109/93/75 Female 165 cm
BF:36.3/33.1/20
Progress: 47%
Default Yep I done it too

I quit 17 days ago, dear husband done it with me, which made it heaps easiser, I know this because I quit last year for 6 months, but alas started again, because I 'JUST' needed ONE. Not going to do that again, I gained 10 kilos with that chapter of my life.

This time is going to be different...... I hope

Atriana..... Its nothing for me to gain 2-3 kilos a week if I dont watch what I eat. A pound a week sounds like a walk in the park to me

Regards Joanne