Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 07:49

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default 100 days and not a puff

I posted this as my 100 day ramble on quitnet.

I was just looking at the anniversaries and saw my name on the 100 day list. I don't think I actually have 100 days until tonight, but, what the heck...here's my 100 day ramble.

I had smoked for more than 40 years. My Grandpa died of lung cancer and my dad is on oxygen. I'm 54 and decided that maybe it wasn't too late and that it was time to quit. I had to pick a day. Last year, on January 9, 2004, I began a process of of changing how I eat and exercise. It resulted in a 50lb weight loss. I figured that January 9th was a lucky start date for me so I quit smoking on January 9, 2005. 100 days ago. I haven't had a puff.

Unlike many here, I really haven't "craved" a smoke. I felt like hell for 30 days or so...I was spacey and couldn't concentrate for 50 days or so...and I was a real grouchy A$$ hole for 75 days or better...so, while I haven't craved a smoke, it hasn't been a cake walk. I also gained 7lbs even though I upped my excercise and watched my eating.....BUT...

IT IS SO GREAT TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS WHOLE DAMN DEAL! I started smoking when I was 14 and really couldn't rember life without smoking. Let me tell you...LIFE WITHOUT SMOKING ROCKS!

I can breathe...I can smell...I can taste...I don't wheeze...I'm never short of breath...sex is better...blood pressure is better...overall health is better...self image is better...

It's amazing how much of my life used to be about smoking....where to smoke...when to smoke...buying smokes...worrying about travel because of no smokes...pretending to go to the rest room during a meeting and having a smoke....smoke on waking up...smoke before going to bed...smoke after eating...smoke before sex...smoke after sex...smoke when happy...smoke when sad...smoke when stressed...smoke when relaxed....smoke when drinking...smoke when driving....and on...and on...I was a SLAVE! I have so much time now...NONE OF THE SMOKING CRAP TO THINK ABOUT OR DO.

There are 2 things that really got me through the last 100 days...will power and knowing that I really wanted to quit. Sure I had help...I came to this forum...talked with friends and family and read everything I could find. But the bottom line is that I had to do this for myself...IT IS MY QUIT...this is my present to me. I felt pride and joy over losing the 50 lbs I had gained over 30 years. It is nothing compared to how I feel about THE QUIT...I've quit a lot of things in my 54 years...drinking, drugs, and eating badly among them...quitting smoking was the absolute hardest.

I'm so happy about this that I want to shout out at the top of my lungs. I QUIT!.

Now...to continue...not let my gaurd down...never have another puff...that is the key to my success from this point forward.

I wish each and every one of you the happiness and joy that your QUIT can bring. Hang in there...be strong...show courage and willpower...YOU CAN BE FREE!

Bill d100
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 07:58
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Well done!!!! So glad you are here to encorage others to quit too. You are proof that although it's tough to begin with, you CAN do it if you put your mind to it!! Way to go you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 08:13

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

thats fantastic, what a life makeover youve given yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 05:59
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Dear pstar. I felt every word of that. You worded it perfectly. I agree with you so much I could have written that myself . I too am a member of quitnet. They have helped me through many tough times. I spent every morning coffee break in that chatroom for months,lol. Today is 334 days quit for me .You have done an amazing job and I wish you much continued success.

Angel
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 09:15
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Loved your post! I also quit smoking in January. I hadn't really thought about the freedom, but it's true! About 5 years ago our state's smoking laws became very strict. Basically, the only place I could smoke was in the car or in my home. I pretty much stopped going out so I could smoke when I wanted. Occasionally I'd suffer through a meal in a restaurant.

We recently went out for dinner and I was able to relax and enjoy my meal without rushing through it so I could have a cigarette. I was no longer a slave to nicotine. I am free!

Thanks again for your post!

Terra
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 08:23

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Congratulations Bill! Such an achievement! And you are back below goal weightwize - great! Monika