Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 09:27

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I've been tossing my fat clothes in a pile by my door! I need to go donate them! Would make sooo much more sense then space!

I can't go reverse this time around!

AT IT FOR LIFE!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 11:00

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I donate my close when they get baggy on me. I don't plan on ever going back to that weight.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 13:27

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I always had 3 sizes of clothes in my closet my whole life. Now just one. I donated. I will admit that sometimes that one size feels a little tight and sometimes it feels nice and loose. But, yay, it's just the one size - finally!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 03:25
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitann
I have been giving my "too big" clothes away for the very reasons Jo gave. I don't want to ease back into them. I do have a SIL who says I shouldn't but I like the idea of extra motivation.

As Mama Sebo said, I did keep one pair of jeans and pinned a note on them - "These were tight!" along with the date of starting Low carb eating. I pull them out now and then to remind myself of how far I've come.

That is so awesome about the note on your old large jeans! I am going to go to the thrift store and get me back a pair of my old women's 24 jeans and do the same thing!!

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 03:29
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

erinleigh & Whofan -- yep we all seem to be on the same page! We are donating our "FAT" clothes and NEVER going back!! That just rocks!!

#21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 07:03

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Lost/gain weight my entire life...I understand completely where you are coming from, ParisMama. My mindset is different this time around as well -- hence getting rid of all my "FAT" clothes. Einstein said (and I'm paraphrasing poorly too): "Stupidity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different outcome." I figured that since in the past, I'd have kept my "FAT" clothes, this time -- out they go!! I refuse to regain and I will not have need for those "FAT" clothes ever again!

Well, in my defense, part of my reasoning is the same as yours - last time I donated them as fast as I shrunk out of them, and although I maintained a good loss for many years, eventually I did balloon back up. So I'm trying to not do things the same way - and I really DO want to get rid of them, I'm more annoyed with the idea of keeping them then getting rid of them in fact, that's why the 5 year mark seemed a good line to hold. Plus makes me keep my focus on actively managing my weight for (at least) another 5 years. 7 months ago that was unfathomable, I wasn't sure I'd make it a few weeks... now, 5 years is starting to look like it's just a drop in the bucket of how long I'll need to stay checked in and managing my weight.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 07:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

You all may have nicer clothes than I do! But I also thought that even if the unthinkable happens and I need that size again, they will be SO out of date and out of style that I won't want to wear them anyway. Don't think much of my stuff would make it to the 5 year mark. It's not like I am on the cutting edge of trends but women's styles change pretty quickly. Who would have thought we'd be wearing skinny ankle pants again?

I really enjoy clearing my closet of the things that are too big. It makes me grasp the amount of my weight loss even more. And getting rid of possessions I don't need always makes me feel lighter of heart too. Kind of like spring cleaning I guess. Like most things, you have to do what feels right to you. But for me it is as the OP said. I think having them around would be giving myself permission to fail. YMMV
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 17:11
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I got rid of my clothes as they got too big- I took them to Goodwill or boxed up a bunch of the nicest stuff and gave them to someone in my office who had gastric bypass and had limited funds to buy new clothes. I told her that anything she didn't want to just give away. The stuff she liked the best- bathing suits (!) and leather jackets!(I loved those jackets too!).
I didn't want a safety net. I kept one pair of size 17 jeans(to see where I had come from) for the first 7 years- then realized I didn't need them as a reminder anymore.
Now I only wear clothes that I love, that really fit, and are in great shape. Before just finding something that sort of fit and didn't look bad was a success.
The first few years after losing the weight I had to FORCE myself to try on new clothes and new styles to see what looked best on my body. It was (and still is ) hard to buy clothes that fit and are not too big. I try to make shopping and wearing clothes fun. It's part of my rewards for maintaining. But even though it's over 10 years since starting this wol it's still a learning process for me.
E
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 07:46

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
Before just finding something that sort of fit and didn't look bad was a success.

I wrote my success story about exactly that. Buying new clothes that fit well is fun now, but definitely a learning experience. I still think I'm bigger than I actually am after three years.

In JC Penny one time a sales associate asked if she could help me. I was looking for a black "pencil" skirt. She showed me where they were and I picked up a size 8 to take to the fitting room. She said "is that the size you want?". I was mortified and said "Should I take a larger size?". She gave me a quizzical look and said "No, smaller". Sure enough she was right, the smaller skirt fit. Another time I was having difficulty finding jeans I liked in a store. I asked a sales lady, who in my opinion was really skinny, for help. She said "You're like me, you need to go downstairs to the juniors department. You won't find anything to fit you on this floor". Whaaaaat? This not knowing what you look like is psychologically weird, but a nice problem to have.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 08:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
It was (and still is ) hard to buy clothes that fit and are not too big.
E

And here I thought I was just weird.

It is a strange feeling to be looking farther down the rack to the smaller sizes. After so many years it's not only hard to remember I can wear smaller clothes, I can also wear different styles - no longer am I stuck with clothes that look like gunny sacks.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 08:25

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Wonderful stories....
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 10:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
And here I thought I was just weird.

It is a strange feeling to be looking farther down the rack to the smaller sizes. After so many years it's not only hard to remember I can wear smaller clothes, I can also wear different styles - no longer am I stuck with clothes that look like gunny sacks.
I have the same problem. We had a dress up event last winter and I was shopping for leggings to wear under a dress to make the temperature bearable. I told the clerk the ones I wanted were sold out in the large and x-large sizes so I was out of luck. She looked at me oddly and handed me the medium package. "Look at the size and weight charts on the back. I think you can do that?" I had to laugh. I was well within the medium range but would not have looked because I "knew" I was at least a large. Very nice but still hard to believe.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 03:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitann
I have the same problem. We had a dress up event last winter and I was shopping for leggings to wear under a dress to make the temperature bearable. I told the clerk the ones I wanted were sold out in the large and x-large sizes so I was out of luck. She looked at me oddly and handed me the medium package. "Look at the size and weight charts on the back. I think you can do that?" I had to laugh. I was well within the medium range but would not have looked because I "knew" I was at least a large. Very nice but still hard to believe.

Going off what kitann said here...

I have another question?

I don't see myself as thin -- now I wear a size 5 jr pant/jeans and med top before I wore a tight women's 24 pants/jeans and 3XL or 4XL top.

Went shopping with my DD and she kept pulling clothes out of my hands, saying you don't have to hide your curves and you don't wear THAT size... I hold up the clothes I can wear now and I think to myself -- never gonna get my fat behind in those, and amazingly I do... weird..

In my mind's eye, I still see "Fat Jo". I have the same experience as you, kitann when I go clothes shopping, we are sooo programmed to wear clothes that are "tent" like to hide under. Yeah like I could hide being 250 lbs...

I don't have a good self body image (not meaning I am headed toward an eating disorder) but I can't picture "Thin Jo" in my head...

Any body else have that???

#29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 06:32
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Jo-
first, congrats on your hard work and the results. Now just hang in for the long haul! This site is AMAZING for support. There are lots of long timers here who are so inspiring.

I know I'm not fat, but I can't think of myself as 'thin'. I think of myself as 'normal'. I am very uncomfortable in form fitting clothes.I got a new dress last week to wear to a wedding this summer and got a size XL. I know I should be in a M, but that is too tight /form fitting for me. The areas I am very self conscious about are my stomach and my breasts. Even after loosing all the weight I am a DDD. One of my close friends works at Chicos and is always on my case to wear "clothes that FIT YOU"- she was not happy with the XL dress but said she knows I don't like to show off my curves. I do wear tight jeans now- but only boot cut and I never ever tuck a shirt in. I wear boot cut yoga pants- again with a shirt over- for exercise. I wear pretty baggy shirts too! So while I say I am comfortable with my body and even like it, I am not comfortable exposing my shape. DH would love me in tighter low cut clothes but not happening.
I don't really want to change - and I do think I look good in clothes and do buy the right size other than tops.
anyway...
E
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 08:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Went shopping with my DD and she kept pulling clothes out of my hands, saying you don't have to hide your curves and you don't wear THAT size

My daughter did that to me! Which is why I now have a couple of nice blouses and a skirt that actually fit. When she visits in July I think we'll go shopping.