Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 06:43

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

In the psychological arena it is recognised that overt behaviour is compensatory. Through meditation, what are we trying to do or achieve; as Dr Phil would say, "What's the payoff"? If meditation works, then why are we here? If a better or more appropriate diet can make us feel good about ourselves then why squander time conning ourselves? Just by believing in ourselves we will feel better. There is no magic nor ritual about it, it is a simple matter of a change in attitude and that is all it takes, but, interestingly this change can be brought into effect through our imagination. All that is needed is to see ourselves the way we would like to see ourselves but in our imagination and that 'dream' will seek to manifest itself without effort on our part. If we harbour doubt about this then the doubt will manifest itself and become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The doubts are the devils within us!
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 06:29

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsgems

Other wise it's just BS and the "Feel Good" stuff waists time and acomplishes nothing in and about itself. I guess, I sound pretty negative about self talk and affirmation, that is as far from the truth as possiable, but I know you have to be the one who chooses what you put into your mouth and the world is so diluted but the 70's-'80's and '90's psyco-babble. All I noticed is when I stopped thinking positive thoughts and actually did something positive about my being 401 pounds, things changed, and in a very BIG way.

This was posted a looooooong time ago but when I read this I knew i had to share my thoughts.

You attract what you think be it positive or negative!

I woke this morning realising that my focus re my weight is often quite negative. I believe in the power of thoughts & it occured to me that an affirmation is an affirmation plain and simple be it negative or positive, prompting me to make the choice to become more aware of my thoughts and choose more wisely. (funny i should find this thread)

I believe if you affirm positively it's what you attract and visa versa. I have had proof of this time over. What occured to me is you were quick to dismiss the idea that your thoughts can manifest but... think about this - what was going on in your head to get you to 401 pounds in the 1st place? Was it self love and praise, or self loathing and what I like to call 'the brain bully'? Doing something positive comes first from a thought. That is essentially what an affirmation is. This is what you did anyway when you took action because action follows thought! (btw congrats on your loss, you look great)

I think some people don't realise the power of their words/thoughts. Have you ever wondered why some people seem to attract dissapointment, dramas, pain, illness etc? If they honestly check their internal dialogue they would see it's because they put it out there with their negative affirmations. When you point it out to then they often dismiss or deny it - denial is the biggest form of self sabotage. Instead they say - I knew that was going to happen as if they possess some insight into why they are universal victims. It's a condition of the human mind, a self made illusion that you can be negaive and rightly so.

Consider the other half, the envy of negative souls, the people who always seem to attract success, opportunity and joy. What do you think they focus on? Negative people choose to be there and often curse the so called 'lucky' people. Anyone can attract luck!! (I win heaps of prized btw since i started affirming that 'I am lucky". Definitely not a waste of time)

Mumbo jumbo.......not for me. I've seen the proof. I hope you find a way to open up because when you do you will discover universal magic.

All the best.

btw thanks to the originator of this thread. It has reminded me to refocus on what i want not what i don't want. I feel happier just thinking about what i want

Count me in!
cheers

Last edited by skinnyRay : Wed, Feb-01-06 at 07:33. Reason: typo
  #198   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 06:31

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duparc
There is no magic nor ritual about it, it is a simple matter of a change in attitude and that is all it takes, but, interestingly this change can be brought into effect through our imagination. All that is needed is to see ourselves the way we would like to see ourselves but in our imagination and that 'dream' will seek to manifest itself without effort on our part. If we harbour doubt about this then the doubt will manifest itself and become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The doubts are the devils within us!

here here
  #199   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 06:19
Creating my reality

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/259/190 Male 5'11"
BF:"TILT"
Progress: 57%

Awesome thread.. this needs to be bumpted to the top.....

T-man
  #200   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:29

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I do this all the time in everything I do in life.

When I used to show horses, my coach/trainer told me that even when I wasn't riding I should envision the process.

It works completely. I now spend time envisioning making the right choices at restaurants while losing and in maintenance. I see myself at goal weight often and it makes it much more attainable for me.

I highly encourage this. It keeps you thinking positively and taking the steps towards your goal.
  #201   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:39
Creating my reality

The power of negative affirmations can be devistating in its manifestion.... Simply saying "I must lost 40 pounds" or "I need to lose 40 pounds" simply affirms that you have 40 pounds more.

Visualizing yourself at the weight you choose to create yourself at is a postive affirmation of that size.

A POWERFUL tool in manifestation.

Timothy
  #202   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 07:53
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Wow! I am so excited to find this thread!

T-man, great post. Many in the field of manifestation get bogged up in the "I want" affirmations and can't imagine why the techniques never work for them.

"I AM" healthy, abundant, thin, etc.. never "I want to be.."

I do daily meditations and visualizations of myself as a thin person. I also have a "treasure map" that is up on the wall where I will see it all throughout the day. Upon my treasure map is a collection of images from magazines, photos, etc.. that show what my life will be like when I reach my goal. Ballet dancing, bike riding, hiking, a new, sleek bathing suit, all of that great stuff!

One of the things I've learned recently (from the Hicks series) is to monitor how I'm feeling emotionally about something. For instance, I was pondering having a "cheat day" for my birthday coming up - but when I thought about it, I felt stressed and worried and concerned - all negative feelings. That clearly told me that it was not a good idea and not in line with everything I am manifesting, so I'm not gonna do it, lol.

I'm just thrilled to see this thread - sometimes I feel like the only "crazy" person who thinks this way, lol.

Morgan
  #203   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 08:38
Creating my reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMac
Wow! I am so excited to find this thread!

T-man, great post. Many in the field of manifestation get bogged up in the "I want" affirmations and can't imagine why the techniques never work for them.

"I AM" healthy, abundant, thin, etc.. never "I want to be.."

I do daily meditations and visualizations of myself as a thin person. I also have a "treasure map" that is up on the wall where I will see it all throughout the day. Upon my treasure map is a collection of images from magazines, photos, etc.. that show what my life will be like when I reach my goal. Ballet dancing, bike riding, hiking, a new, sleek bathing suit, all of that great stuff!

One of the things I've learned recently (from the Hicks series) is to monitor how I'm feeling emotionally about something. For instance, I was pondering having a "cheat day" for my birthday coming up - but when I thought about it, I felt stressed and worried and concerned - all negative feelings. That clearly told me that it was not a good idea and not in line with everything I am manifesting, so I'm not gonna do it, lol.

I'm just thrilled to see this thread - sometimes I feel like the only "crazy" person who thinks this way, lol.

Morgan

Mamma always said.. PMA not PMS... Positive Mental Attitude
  #204   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 08:55

I once was fortunate to talk to Patch Adams... he seriously believed that a lot of depression could be alleviated by having a postive outlook. Often people 'awfulize' their lives and situations.

I believe in hope, happiness, curiousity and knowing if you set your sights on something you will move toward it.

Morgan, good for you about that cheat day. I am going away on vacation and instead of thinking about all the carbs I can't have, I'm thinking about how wonderful it will be to come home after a week and see the scale because I'll stay on plan.
  #205   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:23
Low-Carb Dharma

BF:

"There is nothing you cannot do, be or have." Abraham

Including, for me, a size 6 body.. lol. Though a size 8 would be fine too.. I'm not that picky, LOL.

Having this mindset - positive thinking, forward manifestation, "The Secret" - this time around (as opposed to my previous attempts at weight loss) has made ALL the difference in the world.

For me, its accountability. I cannot ask the Universe to aid me in my quest while cheating and snacking on foods I should not have! I will receive all the help I need as long as my choices, decisions, actions, thoughts and feelings are all pointing toward the same goal.

Choosing to eat off-plan, deciding not to exercise, allowing myself to feel "fat and dumpy" - are negative things that show the Universe that I am not serious about this.

The hardest thing to deal with so far has been my own personal dislike of my body. That had to change. So now, I do things like go to the salon for "spa day", I bought some new clothes, I do my hair and makeup before leaving the house, even just for grocery shopping! I bought a lovely bottle of perfume and have my nails manicured.

When dressed nicely like this, I FEEL better about my body, no matter what size it is, which truly helps me to maintain a positive mindset.

Of course, watching that scale go down, even a few ounces every day.. really, REALLY helps. lol
  #206   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:27

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I haven't posted in over a year, but felt the great need to join your conversation. I hit a TWO YEAR plateau and then just threw in the towel.

Then, after gaining everything back, I took a whole new path and it has included visualization and positive thinking. Oh my, what a difference! I have read so many books and feel so good about this. I began last August and am slowly heading to my goal. I keep my goal in front of me. For a long time I kept my goal weight on a small stone in my pocket. I weigh once a week and have been progressing at a steady rate.

Thank you for reopening this thread!

Kathy
  #207   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:33
Creating my reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
I once was fortunate to talk to Patch Adams... he seriously believed that a lot of depression could be alleviated by having a postive outlook. Often people 'awfulize' their lives and situations.

I believe in hope, happiness, curiousity and knowing if you set your sights on something you will move toward it.

Morgan, good for you about that cheat day. I am going away on vacation and instead of thinking about all the carbs I can't have, I'm thinking about how wonderful it will be to come home after a week and see the scale because I'll stay on plan.

I actually like that word "awfulize" their life... I'm going to adopt it....

I totally agree...

My amazement is people who give their power away... "God will help me with this".... "I'm praying for God to help me"....
I understand it and it's a form of respect and you believe all your strength comes from God.... But then when YOU fail... do you blame God? Doesn't it just become easy to have no accountability at all and pass that onto God?

My affirmation is:

I AM all powerful in my life. I can Think, Feel, BE and Choose whatever I wish.

Timothy
  #208   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 09:37
Low-Carb Dharma

BF:

Have you seen the film "What the bleep do we know?"

It was a fantastic look at quantum physics and manifestation, put into laymans terms, very interesting.

I don't really want to go into my personal beliefs when it comes to "God" or Goddess or All-That-Is or "I AM" here, as I tend to shy away from controversy, LOL... but I agree with T-man

Quote:
I AM all powerful in my life. I can Think, Feel, BE and Choose whatever I wish.

I AM - definitely
  #209   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 10:56

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Great film!

Breathing techniques and overcoming negative thoughts (even RECOGNIZING negative thoughts) are outlined in Ten Zen Seconds by Eric Maisel. Great read!

Kathy
  #210   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 11:04

I remember when The Secret was starting the buzz and I thought, "this is a secret?" I've been doing this my whole life!

Everyone I know always comments on how I have a good attitude (I'm cynical about a lot of things, though, don't get me wrong... I get the diff between naive and positive)

And yes, T-man, I totally agree about your entire post. Reminds me of the joke about the person praying to win the lottery... over and over... nothing happened and he got mad at God... God said, 'psssst, buy a ticket.'