Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:36

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 165/153/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Should I experiment with a cheat before my vacation....no suprises?

I am going on a cruise and know that I can not resist the chocolate buffet. I am scared to cheat because I don't know how my body responds. Should I experiment in the safety of my own home and eat something bad to see if my body's reaction is acceptable. I don't want to eat something bad or even a sugar free dessert and feel like crap while on vacation. Is it worth a stall at home to avoid potential crappy feeling on cruise? what do u all think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/165/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 112%

I am also going on a cruise... I am a little freaked out about it as this is my fourth one...

And past experience tells me that there is few places one can go on the boat without seeing food food and you guessed it... more food.

Where are you going on your cruise, what line?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:57

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Arrow

When are you cruising, Betterdays? I tested out how chocolate would effect me in the late stages of OWL, & to my great surprise & delight, all was fine. I reached my goal in May though, & have several months before I go on vacation... so plenty of test time. Sure, you should test out some treats, & more than likely, (we have practically the same stats) it will be the same with you - you'll discover you can eat some high carbs without a problem.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Why cheat? Atkins sugegsts that for things like vacations and cruises you move to the maintanance phase for the duration so you can enjoy, but at least not gain weight and fall completely off plan. If the chocolate bar is tempting, go ahead and have a taste. Eat LC most of the time, then make sure to have very small servings of the things you really want, not everything that's there just because it is there. Eat slowly and enjoy it, and when your full stop. Don't gorge yourself and make yourself sick just because it is there and you're allowing yourself a treat. Make sure to walk the boat alot to keep your physical level up, and if they offer any kind of exercise classes or a health center dive on in to help combat the raised carb levels.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:33

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Going on vacation doesn't have to be a license to go crazy. Pack some low carb candies, definitely pack your vitamins, and keep drinking your water and exercising. Do as much right as possible, and then don't stress too much if you decide to splurge one night.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:02

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 165/153/135
BF:
Progress: 40%

I leave on August 16th on the Carnival Glory to the W. Caribbean. I definitely know it is not a license to gorge....but I do want to treat myself at least once. I work out a lot and that is one of things that I love about cruises. I am just worried that if I am one of those people who eat sugar suddenly and get really tired, and have a headache. If I know that I am I definitely know I wouldn't jeopradize my vacation time for a piece of cake. I did not however have bad withdrawl during induction so maybe that is a clue that I won't experience these symptoms. Does anyone find it worse with starchy foods or sugary foods?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:19
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have reactions to white rice and potatos. Not so much sickness but bloating, gas (sorry) and a 3 lb water weight gain the day after.

Just be aware that you will gain water weight if you over indulge with carbs no matter if you feel sick or not. If you keep your calories lower though, on those days it will only be water weight and will drop when you get back.

Beware though... carbs cause carb cravings and sometimes it is hard to stop so do what the good doc has us do with pre-maintenance.

If you are going to have some higher carb foods ... do it with lots of protein and fat to fill you up and give you some control.

Enjoy!