Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Not yet to goal, but I feel successful!
Posted by LilaCotton
Posted Sun, Nov-27-05
Female 5'6"
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%
Default Not yet to goal, but I feel successful!

I hesitated about writing here but then decided to go ahead because even though I haven't yet reached my weight-loss goal, I have acheived success!

A little over two years ago, at about 229 pounds, I started following the Atkins Nutritional Approach. Before I did, I read a lot about it and considering the blood sugar problems in my family it made more sense than anything else I had read. Not only did I start this, but so did my husband and our two teenage daughters.

At first, my weight came off relatively quickly. I lost about 20 pounds within the first three to four months. Before long my weight loss fairly stopped but I wasn't overly concerned about it. I knew that as long as I was eating LC I wouldn't gain back what I had lost and figured the weight would eventually start dropping again. I lightened up about stepping on the scales frequently and basically took on a 'what, me worry?' attitude. Then by last fall I had gotten down to an all-time low of 193.5 pounds! I was so happy about that! The weight wasn't coming off fast, but it was indeed still coming off.

As time passed, a lot of things in my life started getting weird. My normally uninterrupted life became hectic. Our family lost four members in about a year's time. During that time we decided to have our old house demolished and set up a reasonably nice manufactured home. We lived in a camper during this process for weeks. Shortly after that we brought my terminally ill dad home so we could care for him until his death. Once he was gone, a hair-raising 10-month period of cleaning out his estate ensued. I probably shouldn't need to say I wasn't really concerned about losing weight during all of this but I'll say it anyway.

I decided somewhere along the way to see if I could just slip into maintenance until life had a chance to settle down, and this is where the success comes in.

Most of the time I would forget to weigh and once in a while I'd have a niggling thought that I'd best step on those scales because if I was gaining weight I wanted to know. The first time I did step on the scales I nearly panicked. My weight was up over 7 pounds! Then it dawned on me: that wasn't a weight gain! Every time in my life before when I would lose weight the very same thing would happen when first going on maintenance--I'd simply gain back the initial water weight I had lost to begin with. Phew! At any rate, I wasn't taking any chances so made sure to step on the scales a bit more frequently and low and behold, I was holding right around that last weight.

At any rate and more to the point: over the course of the past little over a year, my weight has maintained itself! And one of the most wonderful things about that has been that it didn't take any effort on my part. I just ate good, healthy food most of the time. In fact, straying from this way of eating hasn't even been tempting.

Now, do I feel I can take any credit for that? Nope, not one bit. Never on any other way of eating had I been able to maintain any weight loss and always because I was starving, starving, starving. Simply put, eating LC style means my body doesn't want a bunch of junk put into it because it's always full on the good stuff.

Oh, and as an aside, my rear-end is currently one size smaller than it was a year ago at this time, even with absolutely not one pound lost!
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

3 comments [read all comments]

Article tools