Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:36
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Smile Make-ahead breakfast idea!!

I just made a breakfast dish all busy people should try.....

Chop an onion and some mushrooms.....saute in butter in the microwave until soft...set aside.

Whip up a mixture of 8-10 eggs and 1 pint whipping creme (0 carbs), salt and pepper...set aside.

Brown in frying pan 1 pack Jimmy Deam sausage until pink is gone.

Spray 9x13 pan with pam or other spray.....pour in thin layer of egg mixture.......cover with sausage mixture.....sprinkle with sauteed mushrooms and onions...cover with 2 cups shredded cheese (I used Colby-Jack)...pour egg mixture evenly over top...bake at 350 until brown....

Cut into squares as needed as heat in microwave...makes breakfast for several mornings!!!!

Micsing
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question Jimmy Deam sausages

Hi,

I live in Australia, we have VERY different food brands here... I was wondering if you could describe Jimmy Deam sausages to me please, so I can see if I can buy something similar here? I have never heard of that brand or type of sausage.

Your recipe sounds sensational, I am a working mum so I don't have time to sit around making omelettes every morning!

Thanks,

Katt
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 22:18
Registered Member

Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

Jimmy Dean is a brand name of sausage. It is basically a mild ground sausage eaten for breakfast. It is sold in links, patties or 1 pound tube packages. Here is their website:

http://www.jimmydean.com/products.html

The recipe sounds great, and the one onion to the whole thing sound like it would flavor it well without adding a lot of carbs. I think I'll try to make a junior sized version, but with Bob Evans sausage, which is the same type of sausage but better tasting.

slowday

Last edited by slowday : Wed, Jan-15-03 at 22:20.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 00:38
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Try ham!

Sorry about my use of "jimmy dean" sausage without explanation...I use his, but any 1-pound tubre of bulk sausage would be fine. For a change, I have used chipped or diced ham as the meat (approx 1 to 1 1/2 cups).

Hope you enjoy!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 17:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

This sounds great! It sounds like the breakfast that my mom makes every Christmas, except it has bread in the bottom. This sounds like a good LC replacement! Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 06:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

I just copied this recipe for my files. Thanks! It sounds so good and comforting. Very similar to those breakfast casseroles that I have seen posted on the net!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 22:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Is a pint of whipping cream really zero carbs? That is great.....I thought I read that it was under a half for a tablespoon. Pls excuse me, I could be wrong, I am a lowly newbie and learning post by post! Someone pls help me! LOL
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 13:31

Plan: adkins for life
Stats: 193/185/165
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default sounds great!... I am a newbee question..

I think I'd love this recipe...but have a question... is the onion the only thing that has carbs?????
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 21:17

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%

My whipping cream says 1 tablespoon for 1 carb gram. Am I buying the wrong thing????

Thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 04:46
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Heavy cream

www.fitday.com says 1 cup heavy cream= 7carbs all carb counters vary slightly the one on this site says 6.64 carbs per cup

so manufactuers many times are not required to list on the label as 1 carb if it is less than .90 carbs per serving.....so if 1 cup is 7 carbs and there are 16 tabelspoons in a cup each tabelspoon would be about .44 carbs per tabelspoon so less than .90 per serving and many manufactuers list it as 0 carbs per serving

Cream is great and definetely allowed but just so you know those .44 carbs add up too....

And the recipe sounds yummy....

Last edited by BeccaResRN : Sat, Apr-19-03 at 04:49.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 16:21

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Lou - the sausages, eggs, cream, mushrooms, cheese and onion all have carbs.. I think Micsing meant that the cream had 0 carbs but as BeccaResRN has pointed out it does have a carb value...

HTH

Fiona
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 09:59

Stats: 420?/325/2 Female 69"
BF:75/70.8/28
Progress:

Has anyone tried this cold?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 10:20

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default I make the same thing...

I don't care for it cold. All I put in it is 8 oz. of shredded cheddar, 1 lb. of browned & drained sausage, and 1 dozen eggs. Mix it all together and bake in a 13x9 at 350 until set.

Precise counts:

Eggs - 7.2 grams
Cheese - 6 grams
Sausage - 4 grams

I count 18 grams for the recipe, and cut it into 18 pieces, with one gram of carb per slice. It heats up well in the microwave. When it bakes the egg settles like a crust, and the cheese and sausage rise to the top. Very delicious. You could add onions, peppers, etc. to your liking - just count the carbs.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction (again!)
Stats: 320/256/180
BF:no/frickin'/idea
Progress: 46%

I add leftover broccoli or cauliflower. I also cut down on the cream. I've had this cold for lunch every weekday for the last 3 weeks. Yum!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 13:54

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Cool My quiche recipe

Breakfast Quiche (good any time of day)

I also make a "make-ahead" quiche that I really like. I like this recipe because it has some bulk behind it. It sticks to my ribs and gets me through the morning. It also cuts well, freezes well and is good re-heated in the microwave. I enjoy it for breakfast or at other meals with a salad. I now make 2 of these at a time and freeze it in squares. I get 8 squares per batch (large baking dish). The other nice thing about this recipe is that you can substitute in so many ways. For a year, I made it with chopped spinach. Now I enjoy it with chopped broccoli. Here’s the way I make it:

1 dozen extra large eggs
8 oz softened cream cheese
1.5lbs browned meat (I use mild Italian sausage)
1 or 2 packages (I use the frozen stuff in boxes) chopped spinach or broccoli, drained 1 bunch finely chopped green onion to taste (I use mostly the greens)
3 cups shredded cheese (your choice-I use cheddar/jack mix)

In large mixing bowl, mix softened cream cheese and eggs until well blended (I use a hand mixer, others use a blender) and lumps are nearly gone (I sort of like the lumps). Add chopped green onion and vegetables and mix thoroughly. Add shredded cheese and mix all together with spoon. Add the browned (and cooled) meat of your choice and mix all together with a spoon. Pour into sprayed baking dish (large one) and cook at 350 for 50 minutes. I like mine a little brown on top. Let stand for 10 minutes if you’re eating it right away. If freezing it, let cool completely and cut into pieces.

Again, the beauty of this is that one can make so many variations. I like the cream cheese addition to the egg mixture because it makes it a bit heartier. I think it would also be a good dish to take and serve at a potluck sort of thang. Give it a try!