Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-15, 20:46

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I had to find and revive this thread. It kinda fell off the radar a little and I always liked this one.

My NSV... I FIXED THE DISHWASHER! OK - how is that an NSV? Our dishwasher as been doing a poor job on the top rack for quite some time. To get clean dishes, we either ran it twice or ran it half full and still some dishes would end up dirty and got left in for the next load. Because I can finally bend over like a normal person, I was able to see that a little bracket at the back of the dishwasher had popped out of place and the top washy spinny thingy wasn't getting a good connection to the water source. That is why the top rack was not getting as clean as it should. I just ran a load and it is working as good as new. A year ago - I would never have been able to bend over and see the problem, much less get back there to fix it. Clean dishes again... Whoo Hoo!

Hi Ken,

Movement-flexibility-comfort!!! ALL AWESOME signs of major change and progress. Excellent NSVs!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-15, 09:17

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I had to find and revive this thread. It kinda fell off the radar a little and I always liked this one.

My NSV... I FIXED THE DISHWASHER! OK - how is that an NSV? Our dishwasher as been doing a poor job on the top rack for quite some time. To get clean dishes, we either ran it twice or ran it half full and still some dishes would end up dirty and got left in for the next load. Because I can finally bend over like a normal person, I was able to see that a little bracket at the back of the dishwasher had popped out of place and the top washy spinny thingy wasn't getting a good connection to the water source. That is why the top rack was not getting as clean as it should. I just ran a load and it is working as good as new. A year ago - I would never have been able to bend over and see the problem, much less get back there to fix it. Clean dishes again... Whoo Hoo!

I love this one. And you saved the cost of a repairman. There is so much more to losing weight than fitting into society's idea of what looks good (although I'm not knocking the self-esteem that comes from that, oh no!). But let's hear it for health, mobility, and independence.....yay!
  #213   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-15, 20:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
There is so much more to losing weight than fitting into society's idea of what looks good (although I'm not knocking the self-esteem that comes from that, oh no!). But let's hear it for health, mobility, and independence.....yay!

This is what makes me so passionate about treating obesity for a living
  #214   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-15, 02:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

OK this is a really small thing but I just noticed it so I'll chime in. - I've been doing work on my laptop in bed (legs stretched out). I just noticed I have so much more flexibility, I can cross my legs, touch my toes, protruding stomach no longer in the way. About a month of VLC and staying in ketosis, shedding weight and just getting lighter all around.
  #215   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-15, 09:54

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

That's awesome Pazia! keep up the good work!
  #216   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 15:01

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

While on vacation I went with my aunt to Catherine's a large woman's store. I bought a size 0x maxi dress (never have been a 0 ever LOL) and, I was measured for a bra but they didn't carry anything that small Hmmm, how should I take that LOL
  #217   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 19:36
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I had a little NSV on my recent camping trip. Now I imagine there might be times when it would be fun to have two people in the same sleeping bag. But when that second person is under your own skin, it is not so fun. The last time I used my sleeping bag was in 2011 and I fit in it much like an oversized pillow in a small pillow case. This past weekend I could not believe how much room I had in that bag. I could maneuver around, toss and turn without getting the sleeping bag all twisted and turned. Not having that extra 150 pounds of person in that bag makes a world of difference.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Apr-14-15 at 07:32.
  #218   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 20:02

BF:

[QUOTE=khrussva Not having that extra 150 pounds of person in that bag makes a world of difference.[/QUOTE]

#219   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-15, 22:15

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I put on a size 14 pant suit today and it fit...
Sure beats those 18-20 pants..
Now on the size 12...
  #220   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 07:42
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I put on a size 14 pant suit today and it fit...
Sure beats those 18-20 pants..
Now on the size 12...

Isn't that just the best NSV of all? The number on the scale can bounce up, down and sideways -- driving us crazy. But in the end, it is just a number. Where the rubber meets the road, so to speak, is getting smaller. And there is no greater proof of progress than dropping down to that next smaller size. WTG on the size 14. The 12's are just around the corner.
  #221   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 10:21

BF:

congrats Meme- that means all new shops, right?
  #222   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 12:29

Plan: <30 Net Carbs
Stats: 270/210/130 Female 5'4"
BF:51/45/ ???
Progress: 43%

I had a little NSV yesterday!

My job sometimes has legitimate crises, and one came up yesterday. An hour into the day, I had to pack up a ton of equipment, drive 100 miles, work another 7 hours on my feet, then drive back home. There were no breaks at all.

I grabbed my packed lunch when I left the office, and ate 1/2 upon arriving at the destination. I ran out to the car after a few hours for the rest of my lunch, but it didn't hold up without refrigeration so I grabbed my packed snack and went back to work.

When it was time to go, I was slightly hungry and weighed my options: just meat & cheese from McDonald's or wait an hour and a half and make delicious eggs and sausage at home. I waited and had my lovely meal at home.

The events would have made a good excuse to eat whatever or to have a few beers after work, but I had zero desire to do either. I feel too good to interfere with what's working!

Staying on plan under those circumstances was a real NSV for me!
  #223   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 12:39

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 332/282/250 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 61%

I love this thread, because despite my efforts the scale numbers positively haunt me.

For me, I usually try on a pair of jeans that are too small for me every week or so, just to see how the fit is changing. I always get the same brand and type so that I don't have to worry about size variation. I'd been really bummed not long ago because the scale hadn't moved for two weeks. I had just happened to be at the store, so I picked up a pair of 20s (even though I'd only just been able to fit in the 22s a few weeks ago). I'd bought them to save a trip later and expected to just keep them in my closet for a month. I tried them on for the heck of it when I got home, and to my amazement they slid right on . I couldn't believe it, because I tried the same size when I bought the 22s and they wouldn't even come close to buttoning.

Last edited by mscarrigan : Thu, Apr-16-15 at 13:12.
  #224   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-15, 12:55
Say NO to Diabetes!

Those are two good NSVs. Yes - this is a great thread. We spend way too much energy fretting over the scale. We need to celebrate these NSVs.

Not cheating in a situation like that is a big one. On diets past, it did not take much of an excuse for me to cheat. Had that happened to me, I'd say with near certainty that I would not have made it home without regrets. Dealing with everyday temptation is bad enough. Making it tough a tough situation like that ON PLAN is a great NSV. I finally learned my lesson about cheating. The longer I go without allowing myself to do it, the easier this WOE becomes.

And about those pants... wait until the day when you hold up a pair - look at them, and say to yourself "These couldn't possibly fit". Then you try them on and you were right. But they are not to small - they are too big. When I was sorting through and getting rid of old clothes a few months back - that happened to me. Keep this up and it will happen to you, too.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Apr-16-15 at 13:00.
  #225   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-15, 10:55
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/210/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Being able to fast without intending to

What I am liking the most is that I can go long periods without eating and not feel "ravenous" like I would have in days gone by.

One day I had a job to do that was about 30 min away and needed to be done by 1 pm. I am not an early riser so I don't generally eat anything until about noon -1 pm anyway.

I got ready, got my materials together and headed out. It never even occurred to me until I was on the return trip about an hour later that I had not eaten a thing.

I was starting to feel a tad hungry but nothing outrageous and knew I could easily make it back home without stopping for something (that would have been laughable in the past).

I think it was 3 pm before I had a meal.

Love the stamina.