Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Why am I always Cold?

Yanno, when I first started this woe...last March and now again since November , I am absolutely freezing most of the time. I mean, literally shivering.

I have to wear layers of clothing and have the gas furnace & coal heater running all the time so that I can keep warm. It’s really bad about an hour later after I exercise.

I'm wondering if my body is getting used to using fat as fuel and not carbs... but not sure. The mssg boards I belong to all talk about getting hot, well, would you think this would be a thyroid problem if Im freezing all the time?

but when I think about it... doesn’t shivering expend more energy (burns more cals) as your body it trying to warm itself up......maybe its not a bad thing. ;-)
Anyone else cold out there besides all you hot people????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

You might want to think about having your thyroid tested. All weight loss diets lower thyroid function somewhat. Being cold all the time is a classic thyroid symptom. Of course, it could be from a bunch of other reasons, but the thyroid test is relatively cheap and painless.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:50

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I went through the very same thing during the summer. About 3 months into the diet I could not get warm to save my life. Only thing that would warm me up were hot baths. I think it lasted for 2 months and now I am back to normal.

Maybe the body has to adjust temp wise due to the fat layers being burned off! LOL

Not sure...but it sounds good anyway. My thyroid is fine btw.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 19:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Chrissy

Yes, low thyroid is a possibility, but you mentioned that the chills are especially bad after exercise. Are you drinking enough?? Chills can be the result of dehydration too, especially if you're drinking coffee, tea, colas or other things with caffeine, which is diuretic. You need to drink lots of water while you exercise and right after too. Our fat cells do act like insulation to keep body heat in, but it's WATER that carries the heat and warmth to our cells and tissues in the first place.

Just a thought

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 19:21
Registered Member

Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%

I thought it was just me. I too feel cold lot of times. Before I started this diet I was known as the guy that goes out in his shorts and T-shirt during December. Now I curl up with a blanket at home. It is getting better now but I still feel cold most of the time.. Can't wait till Summer again.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Dave
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 01:19
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 150/121/120
BF:
Progress: 97%
Lightbulb Insulation

I think there could be a much simpler explanation: fat is an insulator! This is why animals tend to carbo-load in the fall for instance because they need that extra layer of fat to feed them and keep them warm! So… wear a fur coat!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 01:52

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Chrissy......

I can only speak for my own experience. I've always had a problem with being cold. I've been tested for low thyroid several times throughout my life. They tell me that I'm low normal. A couple of years ago I asked my doc if I could try a small dose of synthyroid to see if it did anything for me. She agreed that it was worth a trial. It cured the problem. I ran out about 6 weeks ago and keep forgetting to get a new script and I'm having trouble with being cold again.

Marlaine
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 02:08
Registered Member

Plan: 10-20g per day
Stats: 169/129/125
BF:
Progress: 91%

Yikes! Please, NO FUR!

But yes, I have been cold for months and hadn't even thought about it until you brought it up, Chrissy. Winter blankies in December is unthinkable! (Australia, remember...) I can't get warm enough.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 10:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Me too!

I have always been sensitive to cold but in the past few months I have been walking round swaddled in layers because I am so cold all the time. My hands and feet, especially, are like blocks of ice unless I am in the tub, exercising, or running around like a chicken w/ my head cut off doing errands.

I am aware of the thyroid connection because just about every single female in my family (grandma aunts, mum) and even an uncle (not very common in men) take thyroid medication.

However, I was tested in March and was normal so I am assuming it has to do with the change in diet.

I wear more clothes, take more hot baths, exercise to get sweaty ( ) and use hot water bottles when DH is away on business!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 11:17

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Wink I thought it was just me!!!!

I am sitting here with goose bumps.... I thought I was weird.
Had my throid tested - I am medications already but the last test came back fine in Nov.

I turn up the heat, too. I thought maybe I was cold because I drink my water ice cold....

Glad to know I am not the only one...... I just walk around with warmer clothes and things.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 13:35

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default thought it was only me too

I've been feeling the cold a lot more recently. Partly because winter has only seriously hit us recently. I was putting it down to losing all my insulating layers of blubber!
For the last 15 years or more, I've been a sweaty fat girl who was always too hot and moaning about how high the heating was turned up in public places like hotels and shops, so I'm quite enjoying the novelty. I can wear nice winter clothes - recently went out and bough two cashmere tops that are lovely but I could not have lasted ten minutes in them earlier.
At a party recently, I wore a slinky long velvet dress with long sleeves (everyone commented on the weight I'd lost, too) and the last time I tried to wear that dress, about 3 years ago, not only was it too tight but it was way too hot.
I am using a hot water bottle or a wheat pillow for my feet every night in bed though, have been for a while because I get cramp in calves and insteps. Bed is very wide and dh escapes to the other side.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 17:14

BF:

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will definately ask my doc to give me a thyroid blood test when I get my annual checkup this coming January. Marlaine, is synthyroid a natural form? And did you have any side effects from this drug, besides getting warmer? Or do you or anyone else know of, or recommend a natural drug that I should ask for if I do have hypothyroidism (sp?) I hope its not my thyroid, and it this coldness will eventually taper off.

Again, thanks everyone, I guess I'm not the only cold-hearted person in this group! LOL Going to make some hot herb tea now!!! Oh btw, Doreen, I faithfully drink lots of water everyday, during, before and after exercise too, thanks though!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 18:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%
Wink Re: Why I'm I always Cold?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Why am I always cold?
Cuz ya ain't met me yet!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 17:10

BF:
Wink BillT

Oh Bill, your making me warm already!!! LOL
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 10:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default ya Im frozen too!

well answers another one of my concerns!! thanks people..lol I have had my thyroid checked and its normal but holy cracky Im cold. Only time I feel warm is just after I work out. I now sit on a big heating pad most of the time. I cant wait for summmmmmer!!