Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:11
Rather Be Ballooning

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Paulie-M: When I do sleep though I'm having some really weird dreams
The only time I have strange dreams, which are mostly nightmares, is when my meds are low. When I had to get off my meds for my ablation and follow-up tests I dreaded that part of it....

Quote:
Nancy LC: I think iodine is used to create thyroid.
Iodine is used by the thyroid to make thyroxine/T4.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 16:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The thyroid makes more kinds of T than just T4! There's T1-T7.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 17:30
Rather Be Ballooning

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

But it doesn't make 'thyroid".
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 19:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I omitted hormone. Thyroid hormone.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks Paulie. So this was a test run for you to see if there are any cancer cells left? Then if there are you will continue with the radiation. So, you have had your thyroid totally removed but you still have TSH? So it comes from some other place.

That must be awful not taking your medication. How long until the radiation is over and you can start again?

I wish I was there to give you a big hug for having to go through all this.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 14:41
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Sorry I haven't been around since Wednesday but I have felt really lousy the last couple of days. I didn't wake up until nearly noon on Thursday and had to go into town to get my nails done. I met Derek for a coffee and then we went home. He dragged me into the pub for one drink (which I didn't really want) but I hadn't been in for a while and people were asking how I was.

Getting up early again yesterday to go for the test nearly killed me. I felt so bad that I asked Derek to take me in and bring me home afterwards so I could rest (rather than just kill time in town). He came back to get me 5 hours later for the scan.

I got the "correct" radioactive iodine this time It appears that there was a batch fault and that was why they didn't have it on Wednesday. I got this lot in some water. Actually it doesn't taste too bad, considering They told me that when I went back for the scan they were going to develop it straight away so the doctor could have a look and decide what to do next.

I had the scan and then we sat in the waitng area for about 20 minutes while they processed the results. We were then called down to his office. The thyroglobulin had fallen from 100 before surgery to 1. They showed me a picture where there was a tiny dark bit in the area where my thyroid is/was. That showed that it had taken up some of the radioactive iodine. To try to tell if this was "normal" thyroid tissue or cancerous they asked if I could go across to the RVI (Royal Victoria Infirmary) for an ultrasound. We rushed over there and I had the test. The piece of thyroid is 4.3mm long and appears to be "normal" tissue. Dr Mallick will now decide what to do next. He seems to think that it will still be a good idea to have the radioactive iodine treatment on Tuesday as it will "knock out" any cancer cells (or should do). They will then keep an eye on my thyroglobulin levels just to make sure that thyroid tissue is not regenerating itself. I will find out on Monday exactly what is happening.

I haven't done anything today. I had an awful nights sleep and so just stayed in bed when Derek got up.

We're going out for Sunday lunch tomorrow and we're taking my mother with us. It will make a nice change.

Have a great weekend.

Hugs

#52   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 16:19
Champagne Paulie

Smile

OK folks, just a quickie to let you know that I am still in the land of the living I haven't had the all-clear from the cancer centre but so far the thyroglobulin levels seem to be staying stable

I did put a lot of weight on during the two times I had to come off the thyroxine and go without prior to the radioactive iodine treatment. I am currently taking 200mcg of levothyroxine daily. I started a meal replacement diet at the beginning of April and have so far lost 46.8 lbs. My weight went on quickly so I want it off quickly too

These are my latest pictures.

I am feeling full of life right now and although I still have to go back and forwards to the hospital things are looking up. I go back for my next lot of tests in August. Maybe after 31 years of thyroid problems things are finally looking up

Hugs
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Wow your beautiful! I'm glad everything is going well and to be full of life is awesome!
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 17:12
Champagne Paulie

Smile Thyrogen

I've been back to the cancer centre today for a check-up. They want to do another scan in November and instead of me stopping my medication for 2-3 weeks as I have done previously they are going to give me 2 injections of thyrogen on consecutive days. The scans will then be carried out later in the week.

Has anyone had this treatment and how did it go? Just curious.