Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 17:42

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Sugar free Jello question

Hi. Dennis here. Dr. Berstein recommends sugar free Jello brand gelatine but around here the only jello I can find (Jello brand or other cheap brands) has maltodextrin in it. Does anyone know a truely sugar free Jello without sugar alchohols etc?

Thanks

Last edited by Whited : Sun, Jul-19-15 at 07:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 19:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Dennis,

Check the refrigerated section. The pre-made sugar-free Jell-o cups don't have maltodextrin in them
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 19:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I think the Great Value (Walmart) brand does not have it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 01:02

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Dennis. You can also make your own out of plain gelatin and whatever sweetener you like. Knox gelatin dissolves well, and is sold at many of the main grocery stores. The baking essences: lemon, orange, mint, anise, etc. could be used.

If you want the gelatin to be from beef only, NOW brand, and Great Lakes are from beef. Great Lakes brand is from pastured/grass-fed beef.

I make quite a few things using plain gelatin granules. It's the "filler" in my food plan. I have gelatin made with plain black tea, served with yoghurt quite often. Gelatin made with sour cream and vanilla is one of my mainstays, too.

Gelatin could be made with coffee, or coffee and cream, etc.

#5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 15:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a box of WalMart's Great Value sugar free jello (lime) right here. It has maltodextrin.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 18:02

BF:

Thanks for all the tips -- yeah Great Value does seem to have it. I couldn't find the pre-made Jello but I did find some Knox gelatine so I'll make my own. SilverEm I'm wondering if you used any sweetner like stevia in your gelatine with sour cream and vanilla?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-15, 20:54

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 144/141/105 Female 5'5
BF:Truly want 18 BMI
Progress: 8%
Default Better bowls (with Splenda)

Better Bowls sugar free strawberry Jello ordered from Amazon.
Threw the packet contents in Blender with 1 cup boiled water, whishh it on low to mix, 1 cup iced water on top, blend - stick it in freezer for 10 min. in small glass dishes, ready for dessert.

But seriously, I reverted to using the sugar free Jello, already made, from Ralph's. Simpler in the end...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 00:57

BF:

Hi, Dennis. I have put stevia in some of my gelatin concoctions, but am currently not using any stevia, except for a few fresh leaves picked from the stevia plant I have growing. I seem to do better without the stevia extract.

I was using whole-leaf stevia extract, but still found it perpetuated the desire for sweets. I haven't decided to avoid it completely, but am not currently putting it into my gelatin mixtures. I think it probably disturbs the intestinal flora. I haven't found anything at PubMed that answered my questions about whole-leaf stevia extract and intestinal flora. All the studies I've looked at were with specific compounds, not the whole leaf. It did look as though stevia does stimulate insulin production, though. (Which I don't need more of. )

One could use any sweetener one wishes.

I currently only make gelatin with plain black tea, and one with vinegar and sea salt.

In the older cookbooks, there are many recipes for gelatin salads, aspics, and interesting ways to use gelatin in both sweet and savory dishes.

Making the gelatin dishes keeps out the additives/preservatives/fillers, etc. The pre-made gelatin desserts in the stores have lots of mold inhibitors, preservatives, etc.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 10:42

BF:

Thanks for the advice SilverEm -- It was kind of frustrating that there are no instructions on the box of the Knox gelatine. I did get some made anyway.

I'm intriqued with you making black tea or vinager and sea salt variations. How do you eat that? As a side dish or just for a light snack?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 11:39

BF:

Hi, Dennis. I am on a low-fiber food plan, which means almost no plant matter. I use gelatin as the filler in my food plan. I serve the gelatin with homemade yoghurt, usually, which I make from cream. Occasionally, I have the gelatin with a bit of cream cheese.

If you search for gelatin creams, or Panna Cotta, you will find many recipes. Linda Sue has some at her recipe site.

There are old cookbooks, at this site and also at archive.org.

A search for gelatin will give many old recipes.

Here is the Knox gelatin site.

I hope that gives you some good help.