Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 05:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Y'know, I know threads get off topic, but the OP asked a question about stretching her budget so she could feed her family a little better.

Pardon my rant here, but I'm gonna rant.

As someone who works for barely above minimum wage, hell yeah, I'm buying grocery store meat. I lost my mom to a cancer that I will likely inherit, so this has already gone through my mind repeatedly for the last decade, and you know what? If I'm diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, I have zero regrets. I don't regret the cigarettes in bars or the booze or the money I spent on traveling. I don't regret the gallons of diet soda or the occasional cheats. I choose quality of life over quantity of life and I'm not ashamed of it. I regret nothing because it was part of my happiness. I'm not going to be a purist denying myself just for the gamble that maybe I'll live a bit longer... and how? In a nursing home?

If I wanted to spend the extra money on organic food, I'd be looking at working until I'm 70+. My job is physically exhausting. No thanks. I value my time off, and I value living below my means, which creates an absence of stress that you probably can't put a health-value on. If you've never lived in poverty, maybe you don't get this. Maybe you don't know what it's like to cry every day, to be terrified of your phone because no one ever calls you except debt collectors. You don't even look forward to pay day because your money is gone before you even see it. When I moved in with my fiance and got a pay raise, it was a life-changer that I'll repeat, you can not put a value on the stress relief of having money left at the end of the day. I'd bet on this being a health-changer just as powerful as organic food.

So, that's what I choose. If I'm on my death bed any time soon, the last thing I'll be thinking about is, "gee, maybe my eggs and meat and veggies and fruits weren't clean and pure enough."
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 05:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
As already stated, our study was not designed
as a carcinogenicity study that would have required according
to OECD the use of 50 rats per sex per group.
However, we wish to emphasize that the need for more
rats to provide sufficient statistical power may be biased
by the presence of contaminants in the diets used in gathering
historical control data, increasing artificially the
background of tumors, which would inappropriately be
called in this case ‘spontaneous’ or due to the genetic
strain.

Well that's disappointing. They biased their result with their choice of genetically modified rats. Not having bought enough rats, they then wanted more funding and went to the press. That's unfortunate. GMO rats eating GMO food drinking GMO water. Poor rats.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 07:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

To get back to the original topic; thanks to bad dietary advice, fat is now what the food industry slices off and throws away. But it's really good food, compared to rice or potatoes. If the fatty meat is cheaper, it's a rare break for the low carber.

Eat it up!

And yes, better food is more expensive. But there's a saying among savvy Cat Appreciators; the worst canned food is better than the best dry food.

And it works for humans, too. Except for the very worst forms of fat and protein, any source is better than a carb source, and will offer more nutrition for one's food dollar. And instead of stretching that meat with noodles or rice, stretch it with vegetables for even more vital nutrients.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 08:44

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Grass-fed does not mean that no weed killer was used on the grass.<...>

The beef I buy is 100% grass-fed and USDA Organic (I hate trusting the USDA but they are the only game in the grocery store).

Florida is a big beef state (second to Texas). And I see the farms and as an entertainer, I know some of the ranchers. No weed killer is sprayed around here, it would be a waste of money and increase the cost of raising the livestock. The cows eat the grass and the weeds. It's 'free food' for them.

Unfortunately, they get sent off to the feed lot at the end of their lives, where they gorge themselves on GMO, Round-up laced corn. This puts a lot of fat on the steers, which of course holds the cancerous Round-up, but by making the animal much heavier, it makes for more profit for the farmer.

Besides for the GMO corn, they are also injected with a lot of antibiotics and possibly hormones that can affect the end result (our dinner). I also avoid US dairy products unless I find they haven't been treated with rBGH hormones. Canadian, Australian and European cheese is OK as the artificial hormone is banned because it can cause breast and prostate cancer. Organic is also rBGH free.

Cows have eaten grass for millennia, corn for a few decades. I'll go with the tried and true.

I don't eat seedless grapes or seedless watermelon either - it just seems unnatural to me - but as a cultivar they aren't necessarily unhealthy. Although since I went low-carb back in 2000, I haven't bought any of either.

I avoid anything with corn (and it's derivatives), soy, cottonseed, canola, zucchini, yellow squash and a few others unless they are either organic or non-GMO. (Beet sugar is GMO too, but I don't do sugar).

The weeds have become resistant to Round-up (that's easier to type than glyphosate). So the crops need more Round-up to kill the super-weeds, which have become even more resistant so they need even higher tonnages of Round-up to kill the super-duper-weeds. All this means lots of profit for Monsanto, and lots of glyphosate (which the World Heath Organization says causes cancer) in your food.

65 countries and the WHO makes a strong statement that Monsanto might be "poisoning us for profit" and I'd rather not be the lab rat.

Besides for that, grass-fed beef actually tastes sweeter.

Again, I'm not ordering anyone else around. There is no need to defend your choice if it doesn't agree with me. I am looking out for my own good health, and so far, what I'm doing works for me, and I can't even say that it would work for everybody. But not missing a gig by calling in sick or any other reason since 1964 is a pretty good track record, one that not many others can brag about.

As far as I'm concerned, without good health, you have nothing. That makes health a very high priority for me.

YMMV

Bob