Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-11, 12:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Good for you for taking the step into OWL!

You might consider buying the book and reading about OWL. You are only supposed to add one new food at a time - preferably over a week or two. That way if you have symptoms or weight gain you will know what new food is causing the problem. Also, while adding in the new foods you should be raising your carb level to find your ccl and ccm.

Have fun adding in new things!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-11, 17:22

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Good suggestion, Freckles.

Most people follow Dr Atkins' order of adding their 5 net carbs, so firstly more induction veg then dairy then nuts/seeds then berries etc, etc

Last edited by Elizellen : Sun, Nov-20-11 at 17:28.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-11, 03:36

Plan: Atkins Induction... AGAIN
Stats: 160/160/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:41
Progress: 0%

Thanks

Ive been on OWL for 3 weeks - added more induction veg etc -- now trying to climb the rungs, but I cant eat nuts or seeds so I will be skipping that step !

Was a bit worried about adding more carbs but as it turned out, staying on 20 NCs for 4 weeks made me stall.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-11, 08:19
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Sweet potatoes don't fall into the early rungs of the ladder - you shouldn't add that until rung 8 or 9.

If you skip a run, Dr. Atkins says to add an additional week of the one prior to it rather than just skipping ahead.

Greek yogurt is fine once you are on that rung. I would really suggest following them in order as posted in the first post of this thread.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-13, 20:11

Plan: Atkins-OWL
Stats: 123/120/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks for posting. My journey is starting in OWL. This was all very helpful.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-14, 21:56

Stats: 135/118/105 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default OMG... what?

When I read the book it said that I could not eat more than 5 carbs a day for induction!! It said ONLY buy foods that said 0 grams of carbs under the assumption that even a fourth of a carb per serving would add up to 5 at the end of the day. So, I could have had a whole 20 grams of carbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Dr. Atkins said that if you do not have a lot to lose or are beginning to get bored by your food choices then it is time to move on to OWL.

No matter what you do, your weight loss will slow down. Don't expect the big losses of induction. What you should expect is that weight loss is not linear and comes in fits and spurts.

With that said, follow the carb ladder slowly. Give your body time to adjust to each new food addition.

The OWL Carbohydrate Ladder

Detailed Version

1. Vegetables
More salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list

2.Dairy
Fresh cheeses:
˝ cup Cottage cheese
5 oz Farmers cheese
˝ cup Ricotta cheese
5 oz Pot cheese

Keep portions small for:
Hard aged cheese
˝ cup Cream, heavy and light
Half and half
Sour cream
Yogurt

3. Seeds and Nuts

1 oz serving
Macadamias
Almonds
Peanuts/Natural Peanut Butter
Coconut
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
Walnuts
Pistachios

4.Berries
Eat frequently from:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Blackberries
Raspberries

Eat moderately from higher AGR melons:
Honeydew
Cantaloupe

5.Wine and other spirits low in carbs
Spirits
White Wine
Red Wine
Low-carbohydrate Beer

6.Legumes
Lentils
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
Black Beans
Hummus
Chickpeas
Tofu
Soybeans
Soy milk, unsweetened

7.Fruits other than Berries and Melons
Plums
Kiwis
Peaches
Apples
Grapefruit
Tangerines

8.Starchy Vegetables
Keep all portions small
Carrots
Green Peas
Acorn squash
Butternut squash

Eat rarely
Corn
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes

9.Whole Grains

Eat rarely
Keep all portions small and focus on whole, unprocessed grains:
Old fashioned Oatmeal
Oat Bran
Wheat Bran
Low carb (soy) bread and muffins
All-bran
Barley, cooked

CARBOHYDRATE LADDER

Simple Version

1. More salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list
2. Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
3. Seeds and nuts
4. Berries
5. Wine and other spirits low in carbs
6. Legumes
7. Fruits other than berries and melons
8. Starchy vegetables
9. Whole grains

Stay below your CCL and you will experience ongoing weight loss. Go above your CCL and your weight loss stalls. (This will entail you of keeping track of your daily carbohydrate intake).

To determine your CCL:

Each week, you will incrementally increase the quantity of carbohydrate you eat beyond the salad and one cup serving of vegetables allowed during induction. These increments should be measured in five grams of daily carbohydrate.

During the first week of OWL, increase your daily carb intake from 20 grams a day on induction to 25 grams a day, going up ONE level. It is recommended to start at the first level which is non-starchy vegetables. As long as your weight loss continues steadily, you can go up another level—to 30 grams daily—the following week.

Note that few people will be able to add back all of these food groups in OWL. Those items on the second half of the list tend to rank higher on the glycemic index and are more commonly introduced in Pre-maintenance. Following the order of the carbohydrate ladder tends to minimize blood sugar surges that could activate cravings.

The lower your metabolic resistance to weight loss and the greater your physical activity, the higher your CCL will be.

RULES OF OWL:
  • Protein and fat remain the mainstays of your nutritional regimen
  • Increase your daily carbohydrate intake by no more than 5 grams each week
  • Add new foods in order listed on the carbohydrate ladder
  • Add one new group at a time
  • Eat a food group no more than THREE times per week to start. Then you may eat it daily.
  • If new foods provoke weight gain, or return of physical symptoms of such as cravings or increased appetite, stop that food immediately.
  • Continue doing OWL until you have 5-10 pounds left to lose

Remember that if you follow Atkins, you don't add all of these in at once. You have to test each of them out per week and see if they affect your weight loss. (Not all carbs are equal. Some stall on nuts or dairy).

Atkins is all about finding what's right for your body, and that's really good information to have in the long run.

My personal advice...

…is add in a new food every TWO weeks. I know this seems a bit slow for most people but I found this is really the best way to pin point foods that will induce cravings. This is how I found out that I don't tolerate strawberries---they turn me into a crave monsters. Black/rasp/blueberries I eat every day without problem.

HTH

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 07:19

BF:

Which book are you following, LondonR?

As far as I know all the books Dr Atkins wrote said up to 20 carbs per day are allowed initially, and the newer books about the Atkins diet also have you starting at with 20 net carb limit.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 18:58

Stats: 135/118/105 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 57%

I'm probably just an idiot who assumed it said that because all the gym rats kept telling me to eat only 5 carbs a day lol. Still, if I only lost 15 that month doing that, I would lose less doing 20 a day so I don't mind. It's nice to know I can bump it up to 20 when I want to though. I bought my book 2 years ago, but have not really paid much attention to it since knowing which foods to eat. I do recall it saying for induction to only buy foods with 0 net cards, so I just assumed if you ate only 0 carb foods, you would only get up to about 5 a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen

As far as I know all the books Dr Atkins wrote said up to 20 carbs per day are allowed initially, and the newer books about the Atkins diet also have you starting at with 20 net carb limit.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 05:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonR
I bought my book 2 years ago, but have not really paid much attention to it since knowing which foods to eat. I do recall it saying for induction to only buy foods with 0 net cards, so I just assumed if you ate only 0 carb foods, you would only get up to about 5 a day.

Sounds like a weird suggestion considering all the Atkins books since 2002 have said to get most of your carbs from your vegetables!!
The only zero net carbs food I know of are meat, fish and butter or oils, so that would mean not being able to buy eggs, cream, cheese or vegetables at all!!
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 05:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen

My A'72 book says for Induction Week 1:
"During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero."

The small amount of carbs come from "Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes."

"Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet."
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-14, 11:00
Registered Member

Stats: 254/231/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I was considering moving on to OWL, only for the occaisional, rare use of almond flour. I was hoping to dust chicken with it before frying it, or perhaps even trying some of the atkins friendly bake recipes for a rare dessert, no more tha once per week.

After reading this, it seems like a bad idea. I think I'll stay on induction. I don't want to eat nuts / berries / cottage cheese, etc.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 06:30

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

The New Atkins for a New You has a good discussion of the carb ladder. They list the carbs in the ladder exactly as in Atkins 72 but expand on suggestions based upon their research findings. The excellent review of the carb ladder by cnmLisa is basic to all Atkins plans. The difference in NANY is how to experiment with the ladder. For example, if you find yourself not losing, or even gaining when you add cheeses, cut out all cheeses for a week. Go back to Induction. Then go up one rung in the ladder--try adding nuts instead of cheese (one kind of nuts to see if it is all nuts or that particular nut). See what happens that week. If you do not lose , or if you gain, go back to induction for a week or 2, then try the berry ladder--one kind of berry. It is a matter of self exploration to see what works for you.

What I found worked best for me was calculating total rather than net carbs. This way, I discovered just how sensitive I am to carbs and just what foods trigger gains/cravings. (Not losing is a constant, so I am more attentive to what makes me gain--which is very very easy to do.) It is a slow process.

It requires patience and perseverance. Our bodies are not calculators that respond instantly, much as we would like them to do. Remember age, gender and illness will also affect your weight loss progress.

I highly recommend you get NANY or Atkins 72 and read about the carb ladder for yourself rather than relying on what other people tell you. What works for them may not work for you. What they found helpful or useful may make no impression on you at all. Hearsay has never been useful as solid evidence.

Last edited by Benay : Wed, Oct-08-14 at 06:35.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-21, 17:37

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

I am just plugging along....making sure i don't get too bored with it. I look for new recipes so that helps for sure.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-22, 09:04

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I would like a clarification of the various books. I have Dr Atkins Diet Revolution which says,copywriter 1972. I also have Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution and Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution Revised and Updated. Both say copywriter 1992. I have New Atkins For A New You, not written by Dr Atkins.

I have heard (read)_people refer to Atkins 2003. What book is that?
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-22, 09:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In 2002/3 there was a new edition of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, "Revised and Updated". See the pinned post Induction List.
There was a big revival of interest in low carb around that revised edition, but then Dr. Atkins died. Dr Atkins' publishers continually saturated the market from high-end hardcover to grocery store paperbacks.
In 2010, the Atkins company asked 3 prominent low carb researchers to write a new book with more science, which I actually like better and used when I started, after meeting Dr Westman. His new book, End Your Carb Confusion written with Amy Berger, is good. The recent Atkins, Eat Right not Less, 2018 also good as it does not push its processed products.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jun-20-22 at 09:31.