Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 13:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

BlueVelvet - the target of the above link is deep into access of these and many other relevant studies. Thanks for finding this treasure trove. Excellent resources.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-20, 18:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins NDR (2002)
Stats: 270.2/236/165 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
BlueVelvet - the target of the above link is deep into access of these and many other relevant studies. Thanks for finding this treasure trove. Excellent resources.

No worries. I've been using it to get access to scientific papers for a while now. Very useful during these Covid-crazy times of mass misinformation!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-20, 04:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVelvet
I was thinking about you earlier today WereBear. I had stumbled onto another one of those atrocious "articles" you find all over the place and it was decrying low-carb diets as not being sustainable and only good for making you lose water weight. I immediately thought of you and the fact that the writer of that "article" is basically saying you've lost 100lb of water. Umm okay. I'm gonna have to call BS on that one.

Talk about bloating, right?

I can't find the thread where you talked about checking out my journal for the customized plan I'm working now. For the curious (since my journal covers years) I give a link here:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...&page=109&pp=15

where the story of this latest wrinkle starts with a 3 day fast. Best book to describe what I did:

The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles by Terry Wahls

In short: kicked off a 3 day fast, meat only for 3 weeks, then only added things one at a time to see how I reacted.

Left me with a small food list, smaller body, and much improved health!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-20, 16:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Talk about bloating, right?

I can't find the thread where you talked about checking out my journal for the customized plan I'm working now. For the curious (since my journal covers years) I give a link here:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...&page=109&pp=15

where the story of this latest wrinkle starts with a 3 day fast. Best book to describe what I did:

The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles by Terry Wahls

In short: kicked off a 3 day fast, meat only for 3 weeks, then only added things one at a time to see how I reacted.

Left me with a small food list, smaller body, and much improved health!

Thanks for that WereBear. I'll probably still do a bit of a big read back over a lot of your journals (not because I'm a stalker, but I've just found that you guys on the forum have so many experiences I can learn from myself, and your journals are a wealth of info)

I do have the Wahls Protocol book. Was thinking about reading it and recommending it to my aunt whose MS is quite advanced. She doesn't need to lose weight, but I think a more paleo approach to eating and some really high dose VitD therapy could help her a lot.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-20, 16:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

A friend bought the downloadable version . He was eager to read it...until he wasn"t. Sadly this was a potential alternative to a new drug that would cost thousands, thousands he didnt have. MS is progressive if not addressed.

Can lead a horse to water....
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-17-20, 18:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
A friend bought the downloadable version . He was eager to read it...until he wasn"t. Sadly this was a potential alternative to a new drug that would cost thousands, thousands he didnt have. MS is progressive if not addressed.

Yeah, I don't know how well she will or won't respond to the idea, but I can't not suggest it. She's not really very internet savvy and doesn't read much, but I'm hoping that if it pertains to her illness, then she might at least give it a read. She's by no means stupid - far from it - but her interests are generally quite simplistic (football, TV, the odd crime thriller). One can only try.

She was given a pretty new drug when it was in the testing stages, which involved her getting some shot every 6 months and I think it may have helped a little (she's not had any MS related strokes since) but she's also had to deal with lung cancer this past year. While she seems to have responded well to the treatment, I think that too would be something that a diet much lower in sugars would also respond well to. Part of the neurological/dermatological issues she has suffered with over the years include psoriasis (worse than what I get) and again, I'm sure a lower-carb diet would help in that area.

But like you said...you can lead a horse to water...
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-20, 04:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

That is sad. One part of me being willing to do whatever it might take was that such drugs (expensive and destructive) were going to be my only other alternative. My then-GP worked with me to come up with alternatives at the "taking steroids" stage, because he said that was bad enough.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-20, 08:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVelvet
Yeah, I don't know how well she will or won't respond to the idea, but I can't not suggest it. She's not really very internet savvy and doesn't read much, but I'm hoping that if it pertains to her illness, then she might at least give it a read. She's by no means stupid - far from it - but her interests are generally quite simplistic (football, TV, the odd crime thriller). One can only try.

She was given a pretty new drug when it was in the testing stages, which involved her getting some shot every 6 months and I think it may have helped a little (she's not had any MS related strokes since) but she's also had to deal with lung cancer this past year. While she seems to have responded well to the treatment, I think that too would be something that a diet much lower in sugars would also respond well to. Part of the neurological/dermatological issues she has suffered with over the years include psoriasis (worse than what I get) and again, I'm sure a lower-carb diet would help in that area.

But like you said...you can lead a horse to water...

All these illnesses go back to diet.

My mother has had psorasis her whole life. I could tell you the radical treatments, but at 86 her rashes are the best ever. Her diet changed a little a few years ago after her husband died and the stress of caring for him was gone, too.

She eats fewer meals. Often once, sometimes two meals. She can buys what ever she wants. Meals are small but packed with nutrients.

Ive tried suggesting elimination diet, but she us happy with her current level of rashes.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-20, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

I hope she doesn't get bad cluster ones with it. I had a fierce outbreak on the side of my left bicep a while ago. No matter what I treated it with, it just got so out of control my entire upper arm ended up being raw, broken skin. I had to take a bunch of antibiotics and steroids to heal it up. I can't imagine having had to deal with that in my later years - I was lucky it didn't get infected really - I was in my 30's and still pretty mobile so getting to the clinic was pretty easy.

But if your mother is anything like mine, she probably needs to be basically walking around with a dislocated arm hanging from her shoulder socket before she'll even consider going near a doctor. Lol. Mothers.