Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 19:57

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 181/173.5/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default May I join?

I'd like to join your group! I am so in need of circle of positive people that believe in visualization. If you can see it, you can achieve it!---I know, I know the saying worn out, but so true.

Arnie
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 06:17
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Hi Arnie!

We're glad you're here!! This is a great group of people here with tons of positive energy!! Welcome!!

As a matter of fact, you've reminded me.... I'll take a moment right now to say a little prayer and visualize all in this thread having a wonderful, energetic day!!

Health and vitality to you all!!
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power life plan
Stats: 194/189.6/135
BF:44.9
Progress: 7%
Default count me in

I keep thinking I must get away from this computer and do something else today, but it was fate that I found this thread. I do believe in positive thinking, even though I don't always to it, and this will help me to stay positive. Thanks to all of you who are there for support and prayers.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/130/115
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default I'm in

I'm soooooooo happy I found this thread.

A friend recommended the book "Creative Visualizaton" to me, because I am a very negative person, but find it very hard to stay positive. But now that there are others who will be doing the same, I think I'll go and re-read the text.

Thanks for the motivation!
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 02:27

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default just curious, ignore me if I'm being too nosey...

Hello Everyone,

Piggypiggy you referred to yourself as a "very negative person". I am curious to know in what areas, like when and where you are usually negative (that you are aware of). And, what (if any) positive affirmations have you started using?

I'm really looking to make some changes in myself. I have a pretty good start, but I'd love to "compare notes" with someone else that has experience being negative. I think I'm positive most of the time, but seems like a few days of the month (maybe pms) I'm pretty negative and I seem to do a lot of damage during that time. The proverbial bull in the china shop. It's gotten so bad at times that I have actually had to ISOLATE myself to keep from saying things that I don't really intend to hurt someone with. I can be my own worst enemy.

This thread is really helping me to gain a new perspective.
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 05:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 166/162/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Carianne,

Good for you on resisting temptation! You mentioned a yoga tape from Walmart that is really good. What is the title of the video and who is in it?

Peg
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:35
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Carianne.... It sounds to me like you have the same experiences we all do! No one can be 100% positive 100% of the time! So you say that, in general, you're a fairly positive person.... that's better than some can admit! I definitely have super-negative thoughts during PMS and they can be disturbing to one's peace of mind indeed! It has helped me to recognize that it's more about PMS than anything and I reassure myself that it will pass as quickly as it came and to just hang on for a few days.

In general terms though, I can say without hesitation that I'm a more positive person than I was say like 10 years ago. In that time I've studied a lot about metaphysics and spirituality. I've taken classes. I've learned to meditate. I've chosen positive-thinking friends and said good-bye to the negative ones. When I get upset, I truly try to think things out, look for the lesson and turn it into a positive experience. I breathe deeply, close my eyes and try to relax....and reassure myself that ALL IS WELL. That's a good little phrase to help me remember to be grateful for what a wonderful life I have and the good health I am blessed with. Gratitude seems to be the best tool in turning things around in my mind when I'm feeling blue or upset about something.

Keeping a gratitude journal is a great way to start your day.... just list 10 things every morning that you are grateful for. They can be as simple as "the smell of coffee" or "the feel of soft cotton sheets against freshly bathed skin". I find that thoughts like these go a long way toward helping me stay centered and in a good place.

Just my $0.02.

Love to all!
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 09:47

Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

Teri: In a stress management course that I took a few years ago they mentioned, as you did, to eliminate or at least limit the time you spend with the negative people around you. I have to say that is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It's easier to create space between yourself and a friend who is down on everything but when that negative person is a mother, a sister, a DH... that's another story. My hubby is wonderful in every way, but he tends to be negative first and then slowly accepts the positive. He says it's because he was raised to not expect too much (and his parents are that way). However, he at least recognizes it in himself and really works on it now.

--------

One tool that I learned in that same course is to change your negative thoughts into questions. Instead of saying "I am overweight" say "what can I do to change the fact that I am overweight?" Instead of "I am always broke" say "How can I make more money?" or "what can I change in my budget to allow for more money at the end of the month?" I think this is covered in the Conversations with God books as well. When you state a fact, negative or positive, you get what you state. When you ask a question, you open yourself up to a universe ready with answers.

#99   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 15:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Great thread, Teri. Sorry it has taken me so long to get here. I printed out your post from October 24 about meditation and visualization so I could have time to really read it and savor it. We all know we are supposed to do these things. We know we should think positively, that good things will happen to us if we will them to happen. Why do we choose to wallow in negativily rather than think positively and improve our lives?

Why don't we do it!!!!?????? For me, so many times it is easier to wallow in negativity. Negativity is my comfort zone. There have been benefits to negative thinking. First off, is sympathy from others. Everyone needs attention, and sympathy is a form of it. And hey, sometimes I'll take attention any way I can get it. Secondly, it has often been beneficial for me to get into a deep despair. In rising out of the gloom, I have often found many answers. I paint and write poetry. Some of my best work has been done when I was really depressed, or rising out of depression!!!!!!

Why don't I remember to be grateful for what I have, instead of dwelling on what I don't have It has always changed my outlook from negative to positive in a flash to find things to be grateful for. Even little tiny things. It always works, but I don't usually remember to do it. I know that I am not happy with my life the way it is. I have known that for a long tiime. I have been procrastinating making a change for years.

Reading the articles you posted on meditation and visualization helped me realize that visualizing what I do want instead of dwelling on what I don't want is the only way I can change my life. Clear my mind, by meditation or exercise, to find out how I want things to be. THEN, dwell on those positive aspects I want for my live, visualizing how I want things to be.

My goal is to get in the habit of positive thinking, instead of it being a flash in the pan idea, to be forgotten next time I get depressed.

One small step:
I'm working on visualizing the fat on my tummy dissipating away, with little construction workers pounding on the fat to dissolve it, so that it turns brown and is liquid enough to just dissipate right out of my pores. I really think it is working!
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 23:23

Quote:
Gratitude seems to be the best tool in turning things around in my mind

Teri, when I was at Women's retreat that was one of the main topics. As the speaker put it "Gratitude is the roots joy". Further explaining that you just can't go through life being truly happy unless you are truly thankful.

Peg, that yoga tape is "Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason. Good for all levels. When I realized that when you do yoga, you just do it the best (farthest stretch) that YOU can. Not that you have to do exactly what the instructor is doing (or you could just hurt yourself). In this video (set amongst the red rocks of Utah- so pretty!), there are 4 women who are at 4 different levels and they show each woman for each pose and you can follow the one you are most like. I wasn't as good as the heaviest woman when I started, but my flexibility and balance have greatly improved. And at the end I feel so "alive all over". I highly recommend it.

I would love to take a course on releasing negative people from your life.

Quote:
My hubby is wonderful in every way, but he tends to be negative first and then slowly accepts the positive.

My hubby is the same! And his parents as well are negative, and all his brothers. Just always dwelling on how hard life is and how it will always be that way. At one point I really started to think that my hubby was killing my spirit. Then I realized I was letting him. I guess, in a sense I had to kind of step back a bit so as not to be effected so directly. He's had to tone it down some too.

I have been trying to stay true to some of my daily affirmations (Anyone remember Stuart Smalley from SNL?) - I've been doing pretty good, but I forgot yesterday. I was so preoccupied with my son being at his grandma's that I forgot. And then what happened, I kind of went over my carb limit. I made a not so good choice. Not really a cheat, but not induction legal either.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 00:03
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

I've been meaning to make time for this tread since I was told about it last week... but with having surgery on Thursday (just the removal of a gall bladder and a few stones) I haven't had time to look until now... well, actually I've had time.. but should have made it sooner.

I did use a few tips from this thread for my surgery. I told myself over and over that I would be fine.... It helped the night before concentrating on being fine instead of worrying...

I haven't read the whole thing yet... but before I back track and read pages 3 thru 6--- that's where I left of last week....
I want to do something I just read... I want to say 10 things I am thankful for... I want to say them out loud to all of you if that's ok.

1. I am married to Darrell. 2. My 23 year old daughter is happy and healthy and spent the day with me yesterday. 3. I have a good job. 4. I have a roof over my head. 5. I have stuck to low carb for 10 weeks today. 6. I came through the surgery well, and am feeling great for 3 days out. 7. I have this great on-line support group. 8. I have good pain pills to manage the pain in my belly. 9. I have so really great friends. 10. I have lots of happy and healthy neices and nephews.

OK... that's a start... I will do this every morning when I wake up.

I will go read the beginning of the thread now...
Thanks to whoever started it... and I just want to say also, that I had been very depressed for the last month or so, I had a falling out with a friend at work... the falling out came from someone telling her I was tired of hearing her bitch and gripe all the time... That was true... but I and others had tried to gently tell her that she was bringing us all down with her... and that she needed to lighten up. I had quit going to lunch with the gang because of it..although I still talk to some of them now and then.. none of them are going to lunch at the same time/same place anymore. It was just hard... but in the long run, it's turned out for the best, I started taking 1/2 hour lunches instead of 1 hour... and that gives me more time after work to go to the gym where I work before the crowds get there.... and not going to the hospital cafeteria has helped me not be around the high carb foods I was eating before.

Sorry this post is so long... put it's got me pumped.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power life plan
Stats: 194/189.6/135
BF:44.9
Progress: 7%
Default enjoy this positive group

I have spent the last couple of "work days" at home and consequently lots of time lurking here. Found this thread on Friday and have tried to encorporate some of the tips in my life the past few days. I will continue to read posts and hopefully, No I WILL continue to meditate and keep positive thoughts.
The little men are at work in my body pounding away at the fat cells making them easier to expell from my stomach and any other place they are hiding.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 12:40

Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

I love Cheryl's idea to post some gratefulness here. I was in the midst of a negative moment (I have another excessively negative person in my life who I get to deal with for the next 9 years). I allow myself to get mad about him and often have to really relax and visualize myself out of my anger at this person. Gratefullness helps emensely.

Here are 10 things I am greatful for.
1. My family is healthy and happy.
2. I am incredibly lucky to have my husband and his wonderfulness.
3. The trees are yellow, red and orange and beautiful.
4. I have a love for myself that allows me to overflow and spread it to all those that I love.
5. I had coffee in the house this morning.
6. I am halfway done Christmas shopping.
7. I have found a sense of strength and control over my eating.
8. I remember my dreams.
9. I can sometimes sing and dance away my problems... at least for the moment and then they don't seem so big.
10. I have this great forum to share, learn, teach, give, get and just hang out sometimes!
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 15:23

cre8tivegirl , I did my thankful list in my journal last night and when I read yours I thought I'd come post it here. You have made me look in some new directions to be thankful. - and I'm thankful for that!

I'm thankful for...
1)A healthy family-including me!
2)A simple life.
3)2 paid off cars.
4)Low mortgage payment.
5)The rain today.
6)My treadmill.
7)My homecooked meal - and my not so picky husband to eat it.
8)REALLY THANKFUL for a good eating son! Not picky either.
9)This computer- and access to this website!
10)Being able to talk on the phone to my sister and Aunt(the good one) in Florida.

Quote:
6. I am halfway done Christmas shopping.

We could start a whole new thread on that one! HAHAH! Way to go!!!!
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 21:08
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Quote:
3)2 paid off cars.

I can't say that... but I'm thankful to have a job so I have the money to make the 2 car payments!!!!! and morgage payments.!!! LOL