Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 09:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Stina's Study Journal

Week: One
Day: One
Today’s Program: Regular LC

Foods eaten:
2 hamburgers
pepperoni
2 pork butt steaks
1 cup Bok Choy
unsweetened chocolate square
1/2 cup diced chicken breast
3 coffees
3 teaspoon Splenda
1.5 oz whipping cream
3 tbsp brown sugar twin

Calories: 1878
Protein: 115
% of protein: 24%
Fat: 154
% of fat: 73%
Carbohydrates: 13
% of carbohydrates: 3%

Activity: computer work, pretty low-key day

Weight: 175.5

Measurements: still no measuring tape

Thoughts: Absolute dread for tomorrows fat fast. I wonder how those people in the study went for 7 days on the fat fast? I barely can get through 1 day even though results have been worth it!!

Last edited by Stina : Tue, Aug-21-01 at 00:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 13:32

BF:

*Fat Fast Menu*

Day: 08/21/01
Today’s Program: Fat Fast

Foods eaten:

2 avocado
1 egg yolk w/1tbsp of mayo & 2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup romaine
2 cups j-e-ll-o
1 coffee ++

Calories: 1077

Protein: 17g
% of protein: 7%

Fat: 105g
% of fat: 90%

Carbohydrates: 10g

Activity: Housework, painting, some web work

Weight: 178 (up 2.5 since yesterday, damn water)

Thoughts: I hate weighing everyday. I am up since yesterday, probably just water weight but still, it sucks. sigh. Watch I will lose exactly 2.5 lbs after the FF today, bringing me back down to the same spot. Argh. I so want to break below 170.

12:28 and I am still not hungry. Good sign. Then I can make it through the evening tonight. Will post more thoughts later...

8:47 done all my food and I feel so hungry. I can't wait to go to bed so that I can wake up and eat breakfast. This is getting harder each time I do this fast. Fingers crossed that it is worth it come morning.

Last edited by Stina : Tue, Aug-21-01 at 21:49.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 10:34

BF:

Day: Wednesday, 08/22/01, cycle day 3
Today’s Program: Regular LC/Dairy Free/Calorie Boost

Foods eaten:

8 slices very thick bacon
4 hard boiled eggs
coffee+
1 hard boiled egg
mayo
turkey wing coated in mayo, pork rinds and almonds
mushrooms
broccoli
mushrooms
turkey skin

I am so full. Blech.

Calories: 2582
Protein: 164
% of protein: 26%
Fat: 202
% of fat: 72%
Carbohydrates: 24
Activity: computer work, housework, some extra activity doing chores in barn, scraped and scraped the foamy crap under the carpet I pulled up in the bathroom today. That was work! Took 2 hours to do a 4x4 area.

Weight: 176 (up and down, up and down)

Thoughts:

9:29am---awoke with the same migraine I fell asleep with last night. Scales moved down a wee bit last night but this just seems to be water weight I guess. No major losses for me yet.

4:37pm---okay, this is so weird. I am absolutely craving hard boiled eggs. Same thing has happened on my last 2 fat fasts..the next day I would kill for a HB egg. I just ate 2 more (had 2 with breakfast). How weird is that? BTW, headache disappeared after breakfast.

10:24pm--okay, I did NOT remove fibre and hit 25 grams of carbs but I don't think that is how we are supposed to do this. Man do I feel gross. I don't like this over full feeling at all! I ate a bunch of turkey skin just to boost my calories for the day...that just doesn't make sense. Eat only until you are full...and I went way over that line today. Yuck. I think the purpose of the calorie boost days was to fool the bodies into forgetting the fat fast and lean protein days not to gorge ourselves just to hit a certain number. Hmmm. Many thoughts to think over tonight

Last edited by Stina : Wed, Aug-22-01 at 23:48.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 23:06

BF:

Day: Tuesday, 08/23/01, cycle day 4
Today’s Program: Lean Protein

Foods eaten:

1/2 turkey breast
3 cups chicken broth
2 coffees
2 tsp whipping cream
2 teaspoon splenda

Calories: 661
Protein: 114
% of protein: 73%
Fat: 16
% of fat: 24%
Carbohydrates: 5

Activity: computer work, housework, primed large bedroom floor for lino

Weight: 176.5

Thoughts: So NOT hungry today. Why couldn't I have this appetite on fat fast day? Hmm. I am thinking of doing a carb boost on the day prior to fat fast. That would fit into the category of regular low carb if done properly. I mean seriously, ZERO appetite today. Literally went 'oh, better eat meal number two...better eat meal number 3'. I had originally intended to have the whole roasted turkey breast but there is no way anything else is getting into this tummy! Leftovers for tomorrow when mayo is available again heehee

Very interesting. How is everyone else feeling the day after carb boost?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 09:09

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey, Stina! Looks great - all but the whipping cream - I think we should avoid this on Lean Protein day (I know, it's only 2 tsps). I like cream in my coffee too, but I drank it black that day, and I was so NOT into food, I didn't care.

Isn't it odd how lean protein depresses the appetite? I kept forgetting to eat too, which is NOT like me! I ate more on Fat Fast day, in terms of calories, and was much hungrier.

Rachel
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 11:02

BF:
Thumbs down Me Bad..

I know I totally caved for the cream. Truth be told, I woke up, waddled into the kitchen (where DH leaves me a fresh pot when he leaves for work), poured a coffee and added cream. Halfway through I went, oops. Then the last one I admit, total caved (denial I knew exactly what I was doing).

I woke this morning and didn't put it in although I was this * close to. So back on tract (phew thank goodness I didn't make that late nite baggie of ice cream). The no dairy part of this study is probably harder than anything else to me (well that and 8pm on fat fast days heheh).

Thanks for watching
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default indeed

I noticed the same thing, Rachel.

carbs --} 99.9% conversion to glucose, 100% insulin spike
protein --} up to 58% conversion to glucose, 20% insulin spike
fats --} 2-5% conversion to glucose, 0% insulin spike
or something along these lines.

Oddly enough, one would think intuitively that the fat would mean less appetite but I think the protein, with its relatively LITTLE insulin trigger, would help keep the blood sugar level whereas with the fat alone, the blood sugar might be dropping just enough below 'baseline' to trigger appetite.

The best combo (a la Bernstein) then is probably a good basic regular LC with both Fat and Protein in sufficient quantities. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 00:14

BF:

Day: Friday, 08/24/01, cycle day 5
Today’s Program: Regular LC/Dairy Free/Calorie Boost

Foods eaten:

10 slices very thick bacon (1/4')
2 hamburgers
broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli broccoli
2 coffee+
handful of mixed nuts (I know...)
pork steak
ghee, mayo

Well that just about did me in. Seriously, I am positive this was not the way it was supposed to be. Way too full to be healthy and I still didn't hit the numbers I was aiming for.

Ghee is awesome BTW

Calories: 2031
Protein: 123
% of protein: 24%
Fat: 159
% of fat: 72%
Carbohydrates: 33 (fibre not subtracted)
% of carbohydrates: 4%
Activity: computer work, housework, another painting of the floor

Weight: 176-175.5

Measurements: none

Thoughts:

If I look at broccoli again it will be too soon....I am looking forward to cheese and cream in my coffee (would I lime some shine with that cheese? Sheesh I hate even listening to myself
but yuck, I should have mixed up the greens today)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 00:31

BF:

Day: 08/25/01 Saturday, Cycle day 6

Foods eaten:
2 hamburgers
McDonalds Big extra w/bacon/cheese no bun no ketchup
McDonalds Cheeseburger no bun no ketchup
1 cup 4% cottage cheese
2 squares purdy's SF chocolate
8oz sirloin tip steak w garlic and olive oil
1/2 LE cucumber
3 coffees
2 litres water
1/4 cup mixed nuts

Calories: 1775
Protein: 112
% of protein: 25%
Fat: 140
% of fat: 71%
Carbohydrates: 19

Activity: shopping, lazy day with DH

Weight: 177 SIGH

Thoughts: Weekends are a treat. I love cottage cheese so I had a bit more than I normally would have today while still keeping within my limits. Should have had more veggies but I will work on that tomorrow
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 00:28

BF:

Day: 08/26/01 Sunday, Cycle day 7

Foods eaten:
2 hamburgers
1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
1 squares purdy's SF chocolate
1/2 LE cucumber
2 coffees ++
2 litres water
4 chunks bacon
jello SF butterscotch pudding
1.5 cup romaine
.25 cup mozza
meatballs
caeser dressing

Calories: 1439
Protein: 65
% of protein: 17%
Fat: 130
% of fat: 76%
Carbohydrates: 127
% of carbohydrates: 7%

Activity: zero zilch, very lazy day

Weight: 177

Thoughts: Relaxing day with DH
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 23:10

BF:

Week: Two
Day: 08/27/01 Monday, Cycle day 1

Foods eaten:
1 hamburgers
2 coffees ++
3 litres water
tomatoes
2 chicken wings
.5 cup mozza
meatballs
whipped cream
3eggs

Calories: 1634

Protein: 84
% of protein: 21%

Fat: 136
% of fat: 75%

Carbohydrates: 18

Activity: lots of farm chores, cleaned floors

Weight: 178! sigh

Thoughts: I am getting really depressed. Weight is creeping up. Threw out the rest of the Purdys chocolate bar as it is not helping. Almost zero aspartame now. Perhaps not enough greens. I am keeping fingers crossed the fat fast may move the scale DOWN (not up, please not up). sigh...
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 15:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Stina

Don't get depressed. Instead .. stop weighing yourself every day. The Study guidelines clearly state that daily recording of measurements are optional, and really only the start and end weights are what's critical for the purpose of the project. For you personally, you only need to know your weekly weight to calculate your intake for the Calorie Boost days. I'm not weighing in until the midway point, and at the end. I'm using my start weight for the Cal. Boost days (even if I lost 5 lbs, that's only 65 calories, or 1½ tsp olive oil).

That being said, I understand exactly how you feel. I'd hoped that I would see an end to the yo-yo thing .. but I've decided that's just how my body operates.. .. no matter what combinations of foods I eat. The point is the overall result at the end. Since I've been sitting at a stall for months, a 2 lb net loss at the end of the 4 week cycle will be a success in my mind.

Another thing I noticed, looking back over your menu ... the drop in pounds seemed to happen after you'd had a few days with no BEEF. Then the hamburger and McDs happened, and the weight came back. It may be the saltiness or MSG in commercial burgers or .... in Protein Power, the Eades explain that some people may be sensitive to arachidonic acid which is abundant in red meat and egg yolks. Especially red meat from older animals - beef and pork - since the AA is found in the fat, and the fat in older animals is marbled throughout the meat. In younger animals - lamb and veal - the fat is in a layer surrounding the meat, and can be easily removed before cooking. You can then use butter or olive oil for cooking. Hamburger is impossible to remove the fat, since it's all ground up together. Arachidonic acid can cause fluid retention, and this may be a part of your yo-yo problem. Here's the link to the Protein Power FAQ's about this problem .. http://eatprotein.com/answers6.html#6b

Anyway, hope today's Fat Fast goes well, and it brings a whoosh for you ..

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:40

BF:
Thumbs up

Thanks for picking up on the beef issue. Sometimes it takes an 'unrelated' person to point out the obvious (or pick up on the obvious). I do eat hamburger patties almost every day (easy, quick, tastes good). So as of right now, no hamburger for a week. I won't cut out beef steaks as it is easier to narrow things down one step at a time and if I eliminate all beef and pork at once and then start losing, I won't know what was the culprit and what wasn't.

For some reason I thought I had to weigh in every day for the study. I will be happy to stay off for a week (starting tomorrow)

I also would be really happy to have just a small loss by the end of the study. I am sticking out the study but I think after the 4 weeks I will probably tailor this to fit my own body. We shall see but incorporating at least one fat fast in each week may be the trick for continual weight loss. I worry about eating so much protein on other days.

Prior to reading your reply to me I actually had thoughts of french fries and whole wheat toast. It is so easy to justify why going off low carb for a week might boost the weight loss. Thank goodness I came home instead and sat down to focus. I feel focused again. Thanks

I do believe that my body 'catches' on to different weight loss methods really fast. I can call it metabolically resistant but it is from years of horrible dieting, starvation and bulemia. What I need to keep reminding myself is that I feel wonderful 99% of the time. Never before have I felt that good. Ever. Rarely do I need a nap, rarely does my back hurt (injured in a car accident 4 years ago). I sometimes sit in awe and wonder how the world could be so messed up in eating. Truly believe this WOE is the natural way for me, for everyone, to eat.

Well okay, I am pontificating a little too much Feeling pretty good for a fat fast day. Although I am trying very hard to eliminate Diet Coke and aspartame, I am allowing a bit of DC on FF days. I love Diet Coke with heavy cream...tastes like a float to me and is also very filling. Last week I felt like I was starving by this time and today I am doing very well. Halfway through my 5 litres of water and I still have my salad, 1/2 avocado, jello and whipped cream left The key for me is to plan on being away from the house as much as possible on FF days. When I am sitting here on my butt doing nothing, the tummy starts kicking in and water no longer helps curb the hunger. Feeling much better today ..... hopefully it lasts!

Thanks again Doreen. Saved my day by giving me a new perspective!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 23:20

BF:

Day in Cycle:
Week: Two
Day: 08/28/01 Tuesday, Cycle day 2

Today’s Program: Fat Fast

Foods eaten:

1 cup heavy cream
2 cups cherry j-e-ll-o
1/2 avocado
3 cups romaine
2 coffee +
4 litres water
1/2 litre diet coke
1 tbsp cream cheese
.5 oz heavy cream

Calories: 1059

Protein: 17
% of protein: 7%

Fat: 103
% of fat: 88%

Carbohydrates: 14
% of carbohydrates: 5%

Activity: Drove to town. Farm chores. Watched Big Brother heheh

Measurements:

Thoughts: Doreen's post really 'enlightened' me. Really it is so nice to have a good support system in place for days when a person is down. I feel back on track and I got through the fat fast no problem. It is 10:16pm and I have a little bit of a headache which will carry on until morning or until I get some protein into me. First instinct will be to get up and microwave a couple burger patties but will resist the urge. Some bacon and eggs will fix the headache I'm sure

Anyhoo, I am weighing in tomorrow and then making DH hide the scales for a week because guaranteed I will obsess if they are anywhere where I can see them

Nitey nite
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 11:10

BF:
Thumbs up WHOOSH!

Just got on the scale and I am down to 174.5! Down 3.5 lbs. Granted my weight is (daily) like a bad roller coaster but considering this is the first real downward motion, I am quite pleased. NO more scales for one week!

Happy Day To All!

Closed Thread