Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 10:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The science behind why diets don’t work

Some of you may find this an interesting read

Quote:
The science behind why diets don’t work

For decades we have been told that it’s all our fault; that the reason many of us don’t manage to lose weight is a lack of willpower.

But there’s a bigger cause behind our failure to shift the pounds and it’s certainly not due to floundering commitment. It’s down to a part of the brain called the hypothalamus. In fact, there are several well-researched biological pathways that protect our body from weight loss and ensure our weight rebounds each and every time we attempt to slim down. Research shows that in order to lose weight and make it stick, you must eat well and exercise for a month – then have a month off.

Ever since obesity became a problem in the 1980s we have been led to believe that the best way to lose weight is by continuously cutting the calories. Indeed, it has been in the interests of a multi-billion dollar dieting industry to suggest that this is the case. But evidence [color=blueshows[/color] that diets are actually making us fatter. Initially weight loss may occur but, as many serial dieters will recognise, a plateau tends to kick in around three to six months and dieters, however committed, will start to regain the lost weight. Consequently, 95 per cent of people fail in their attempts to get into better shape because of the biological protections left over from our time on earth as hunter gatherers.

When a stress is imposed on the body, it starts to work differently – to defend its level of fatness and go back to its starting point – otherwise known as our ‘set point’. It’s not possible to lose weight without your body fighting your efforts to do so.

There are, however, ways to trick your body into avoiding a return to its set point. The first is to eat more, not less. 95 per cent of the population fail to meet basic nutrient requirements; they fall well below the two portions of fruit and five portions of vegetables each day. The modern-day environment means we are reaching for far too many processed foods and wrong information has led to a fear of certain foods – for example, carbs, fruit and dairy. Consequently, many of us are actually deficient in various vitamins and minerals, despite our enormous calorie intake.

One of the key components of successful weight loss lies in increasing our food intake from wholesome, nutritious foods. We can all cut certain foods for a period of time – typically one to three months – but cravings for high fat and high sugar foods will come back with vengeance. Research utilising brain imaging has confirmed this: there is a heightened activity of the limbic (reward) system in the brain following weight loss, which drives an increased desire for those foods which had been cut from the diet. The key is to change the type of food we are eating over time so that these cravings subside.

The second way to avoid weight gain is to use diet breaks. The hypothalamus, whilst regulating our weight day-to-day, works against us when we try and shed the kilos. This evolutionary response served our ancestors well when food was scarce; but now our propensity for weight gain overrides any sustained loss we might bring about through a diet.

We all know that a large weight change is possible through dietary restriction. But, eventually, the weight will come creeping back. Our metabolism will drop, our appetite may increase. Both these side effects kick into place when a stress is imposed on the body.

The answer to sustainable long-term weight loss does not lie in continuous restrictive eating; this strategy can actually bolster our fat reserves rather than reduce them. One way to prevent these biological protections kicking into place is to follow an Interval Weight Loss approach which requires imposing ‘diet breaks’ along the way. The diet should be paused every second month as part of a month-on, month-off plan.

These diet breaks have to go hand in hand with a more active lifestyle. According to the WHO, one in four people are too sedentary, failing to meet the basic guideline of 30 minutes of daily exercise. Chronic inactivity is physiologically abnormal and the human body fails to function properly to maintain health with insufficient amounts – historically ‘normal’ amounts – of exercise.

Too many of us have an all or nothing attitude to exercise that means we end up not moving at all. But even a small amount of daily exercise minimises the amount of weight you lose from muscle stores and instead allows your body to target fat. It also plays a vital role in weight maintenance as research has proven it as a key predictor of keeping the weight off.

Dr Nick Fuller is Commercial and Industry Research Leader at the University of Sydney and author of Interval Weight Loss

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article...-to-try-instead
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 12:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
We all know that a large weight change is possible through dietary restriction. But, eventually, the weight will come creeping back. Our metabolism will drop, our appetite may increase.

Their answer is " diet breaks".

Is this another word for "cycling".

1. If calories are restricted, the BMR will decrease to accommodate. = Stall

2. Fast weight loss = fast rebound

"High fat" diet, slow loss of adipose, and fasting (IF and 24-36hr) ,circumvents these issues.

A benefit of slow loss is the skin can try to snap back into place. And fasting is helpful, too, over a very long time.

I'm hesitant to say eating carbs is safe for a carbaholic. Cause I know they ain't. That's like, hey, an alcoholic can have just one. Oh, h e l l nooooooooooooo. I'm off Atkins months at a time due to those hiccups. One bite, and I'm hooked.

Maybe others can have a good outcome on this. I'm sceptical it working well long term.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 17:32

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I went on a ketogenic diet decades ago. Lost 40 pounds the first year, over 20 pounds more after that, and never gained it back.

Contrary to that article, it took will power.

No thank you, became important when someone offered that doughnut, cake, pie, or serving of rice, potato, bread and other former foods.

Personally I think it's the diet you choose, how it works with your personal system, and how faithful you are sticking to it.

I tried a few different diets that didn't work for me before I found keto (It was Atkins Introduction or Ketogenic back then). This one works, and I'm very heathy for my age, so as long as it works and keeps me in good health, I'm sticking to this diet.

With time it got a lot easier to say, "No thank you" and if they insist, I say, "Doctor's Orders", that ends it. (They don't have to know it's Dr. Atkins)

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-21, 18:44

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hmmmm. There's that ugly word "diet" again. As Dr. Atkins was fond of saying, a "diet" is something you "go on" temporarily and then abandon when you get to what you consider your goal weight.

I don't consider a low-carb way of eating restrictive anymore. Perhaps I'd use the word "selective." There are certain foods I don't eat anymore. Note "don't" eat, not "can't" eat. I've learned over time not to think of being selective as being deprived. However, that isn't exactly easy or even natural.

When I let my habitual low-carb pattern slip by even small increments over time (for various reasons) I regain weight. Not quickly, because I don't dive headfirst into tubs of ice cream. But inevitably. Failing to monitor and restrict carbohydrates causes fat accumulation on me.

Quote:
Personally I think it's the diet you choose, how it works with your personal system, and how faithful you are sticking to it.
That's it in a nutshell.

There are all kinds of health conditions that must be managed with a selective diet: diabetes, gluten sensitivity, certain allergies, alcoholism if you will, and for some, addiction to sugar. My condition: hereditary tendency towards fat accumulation. A "normal diet" for me is the one that acknowledges and acts on that fact.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 05:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I don't consider a low-carb way of eating restrictive anymore. Perhaps I'd use the word "selective." ... A "normal diet" for me is the one that acknowledges and acts on that fact.

I think that's an excellent way of putting it.

Simply not impressed by the article with so many problematical statements in it.

Like here, where it starts strong, and then runs into a ditch:

Quote:
The modern-day environment means we are reaching for far too many processed foods and wrong information has led to a fear of certain foods – for example, carbs, fruit and dairy.

For many, carbs, fruit and dairy are problems. While I get along with dairy and selected fruits, not everyone does. And "carbs" are not nutritious: the wrapper might be.

Quote:
The first is to eat more, not less. 95 per cent of the population fail to meet basic nutrient requirements; they fall well below the two portions of fruit and five portions of vegetables each day.

Those recommended portions are marketing campaigns.

Quote:
These diet breaks have to go hand in hand with a more active lifestyle.

There we go again with the exercise! It's good for us. It has nothing to do with our weight, though.

And it ends with:

Quote:
Dr Nick Fuller is Commercial and Industry Research Leader at the University of Sydney and author of Interval Weight Loss

He's selling diet breaks. Which explains the contradictions. If diet cycling puts on the pounds, who will get the blame?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 06:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
With time it got a lot easier to say, "No thank you" and if they insist, I say, "Doctor's Orders", that ends it. (They don't have to know it's Dr. Atkins)

I've done this for years! I'm currently doing a carnivore approach and when in restaurants I always say that for medical reasons I can't have fiber, grains, or sugar. They accept that and don't question it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 15:17

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
<...snip...>I don't consider a low-carb way of eating restrictive anymore. Perhaps I'd use the word "selective." There are certain foods I don't eat anymore. Note "don't" eat, not "can't" eat. I've learned over time not to think of being selective as being deprived. However, that isn't exactly easy or even natural.<...>

Great attitude!

I've always been a picky eater, so not eating a certain food doesn't bother me.

For things like ice cream, bread, cookies, there are keto substituted that admittedly aren't as great tasting as their namesakes, but good enough considering I'm watching my health. I don't eat them all the time, but occasionally it's nice to have a basic comfort food treat.

BTW, I found a good macaroni substitute at Netririon. (Great Low Carb Pasta 7g carbs). Once in a great while I'll have that for half my carbs for the day. Brought up in an Italian/American family, it's good to do that, even if it's rarely.

I can eat keto, enjoy a lot of foods that weren't available for keto people years ago, and my DW (also keto) has collected a number of good recipes. Aldi has good hamburger buns and OK bread, it's easier to find almond flour in normal grocery stores now, even erythritol, and other LC ingredients.

I weigh myself every morning, and watch for trends. I know if I eat bacon I'll gain a pound and lose it the next day (I guess water weight due to the salt). That doesn't bother me. But if I am gaining continuously, I know I must be doing something wrong and analyze/correct.

I do go off my diet on my annual vacation. If I'm in a foreign country, I want to taste what the locals eat. I try for small portions, and am selective on what I try.

Yes, I gain, but when I get back home, I lose it quickly. I don't know if that would work for anyone else, but it works for me.

My ketogenic diet/plan/WOE or whatever you want to call it works for me. I'm the only person in my family under 300 pounds (and at one time I was headed there myself).

If calling it anything other than a diet works for you, by all means do that. To me I don't care what I call it, I'm looking for results.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 17:07

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't care what words people use, I care about what they mean when they use them.

Sounds to me like this guy is just pushing yet another diet book and looking to justify his schtick.

Statements like "studies show..." are meaningless and often used as a way to prevent disagreement by making the reader feel like it is their responsibility to disprove the claim. But it isn't. It's the author's responsibility to back up their claim. If they can't, then they are probably selling snake oil.

Last edited by wbahn : Wed, Oct-06-21 at 22:12. Reason: Clean up grammar.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-21, 20:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
I don't care what words people use, I care about what they mean when they use them.

Sounds to me like this guy is just pushing yet another diet book and looking to justify his schtick.

Statements like "studies show..." are meaningless and often used as a way to preventing disagreement by making the reader that it is their responsibility to disprove the claim. But it isn't. It's the author's responsibility to back up their claim. If they can't, then they are probably selling snake oil.

Well said. There is nothing worth paying attention to in this article. It offers proof of nothing.