Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-21, 11:15

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Fructose expands gut area & increases tumours (in mice)

Nature article
Quote:
Whether and how fructose causes obesity in humans remains a hotly debated question .... Taylor et al. propose that HFCS promotes obesity by boosting the ability of the intestine to absorb nutrients ... Moderate amounts of fructose — for example, those ingested when consuming fruits — are taken up and broken down by intestinal cells ... fructose increases intestinal ‘leakiness’ ... feeding mice HFCS led to larger tumours compared with feeding them diets without HFCS

Might be worth having an apple with your meat to improve nutrient absorption.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-21, 11:02

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dr Eades picked up the paper and made the following comments in his newsletter:
Quote:
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago in The Arrow, I always like to look at anything biological through the lens of evolution a la Theodosius Dobzhansky. What can we find if we analyze this paper from that perspective?
Well, for one thing, when and where do we find fructose in large quantities in the wild? How about in the Autumn when the fruit and berries all ripen? Might that be a time when animals are fattening up to make it through the winter or even hibernation? If so, then perhaps natural selection endowed mammals with the ability to increase absorption of food in the presence of fructose.
Do I know this is a fact? No. But it does make sense looking at it through the lens of evolution. If it is true, then it might help explain why when people consume large amounts of fructose in soft drinks and processed foods all year long they end up gaining weight.

Not sure if this link to the full newsletter will work (I can't find them on the net).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-21, 14:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

To support Dr Eades' assertion, I find I get hungry in the fall, and in the winter it's easy to avoid carbs