Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-18, 15:58

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I think most people start out keeping their carbs Under 40 in order to lose weight. I have stayed under 20 carbs, from vegetables. After reaching goal some people add more carbs at the rate of 5 carbs per week to see how many carbs they can eat to maintain. I continue to keep mine under 20 as I am very carb sensitive. I think each person has to experiment to see how many carbs per day they can tolerate.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-18, 21:41

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Just last week my doc told me to follow a low carb diet. My fasting bg was 104 and my A1c was 5.4. I asked what does low carb mean to her? She said 45-50 carbs per day. She has often told me to lose weight, but this is the first time she's mentioned low carb.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-18, 04:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great your doctor advises it now! In Dr Sarah Hallberg's talk at Breckinridge, she mentioned their instructions in the clinical trial were less than 50g carbs. But patients were monitored to a goal of .5-3.0 BHB, so if someone didn’t burn fat at 50 g/day, they may have been advised to reduce it further. https://www.dietdoctor.com/1-year-r...alth-keto-study
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-18, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/carb cycle/IF
Stats: 226/213/160 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
I think most people start out keeping their carbs Under 40 in order to lose weight. I have stayed under 20 carbs, from vegetables. After reaching goal some people add more carbs at the rate of 5 carbs per week to see how many carbs they can eat to maintain. I continue to keep mine under 20 as I am very carb sensitive. I think each person has to experiment to see how many carbs per day they can tolerate.

This sounds totally Atkins, except they usually start at 20 total carbs for the first couple of weeks (Induction) and then begin adding 5 carbs per week until weight loss stops. That determines your CLL (Carbohydrate Level for Losing), and you need to stay under that.

Good luck! We're all different, and it takes some experimentation to find out what works best for YOU.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, there was this thing called simply the low carbohydrate diet. They sold little booklets at the checkout counters of supermarkets. They were carbohydrate counters, with pages and pages of foods and their carb gram content. The intro in the front recommended that you stay under 60 grams a day and you would lose weight. It worked nicely for me. Back then, though, I took it as a quick fix and not a lifelong plan. There was fear back then that it was an unhealthy way to eat. You know, fat and cholesterol and all that. Nowadays we know better.

Everyone's different, but I honestly believe if you're the patient sort and are into simplicity, 50-80 is a good starting range to shoot for if you want to slim down gradually over time. If that doesn't work for you, lower your range until it does. 72 sounds good, especially if it's working for you!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 18:14

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

I did a very similar experiment to you about 11 years ago. I found if I kept my carbs to around 60-70 per day I lose around 1kg a week. I am now doing the same thing again (It will be interesting to see if being older this time slows things down at all)
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 03:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Vivisita, you haven’t posted since March 5, we hope you have found a carb level that works for you. Let us know if you stop by.