Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 09:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Meal "bases" and the mental change

I'm a year and a half into the Carnivore Life. (And, loving it!) This was an absolute game changer, yet so contrary to everything I learned my entire life.

I write this not so much to advocate this path for everyone. It's probably not for everyone, as the work of Denise Minger continues to illustrate. I'm just sharing a mental block that held me back.

It's mental blocks that hold us all back.

For me, the mental switch was realizing meat was my BASE.

If we have a mental picture of seeing certain foods as the starting point, what we build on and around, this can create mental blocks to our new way of eating.

Growing up with uncertain financials, there were good times, when we had stew for dinner, and bad times, when a can of tuna was "stretched" over a whole noodle casserole.

In my family, noodles was the base. Others might be pasta, rice, or vegetables. All of those are off limits to me now.

I eat meat and everything else is condiments. I eat eggs and everything else is omelette filling. And I make griddle muffins with pork rinds, eggs, sour cream, and fruit.

That's about it. I'll just call it a creative challenge.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 09:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I like the way you term your WOE, meat as base. It's a good observation that as people pursue a WOE with whole foods, there will be different macros that function as "base." It could be plants, it could be healthy carbs (struggling with this apparent oxymoron for me), it could be protein in the form of animal components, and it could be fats. Now, I don't pretend to pass judgement on our base choices, but, like you WB, I use meat (animal components) as base, and it has made all the difference.

ETA: Respect to Robert Frost for the last phrase.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 11:18

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I eat a lot of meat. According to chronometer protein makes up 44% of my diet. I learned from Marty Kendall about how protein is the most satiating macro and it really is. I also eat a lot of low carb vegetables so I am not a carnivore but I do prioritize protein mostly in the form of beef, pork and various canned fish (salmon, sardines and mackerel). So I'm not exclusively a carnivore but I suspect that I eat a lot more meat and fish than most people. I think it helps to get away from the labels and figure out for ourselves what works best for each one of us. There was a time when my system couldn't handle any fiber and I ate strictly meat. This was back before carnivore became a thing. Then it was called zero carb. The labels might keep changing but the goal for me has always been the same, optimal health.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 13:14

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Meat based I agree with. Carnivore I do not. If you eat animal and plant foods you are an omnivore.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 13:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My first meal was bacon, sausage and eggs!

Funny that me, one who use to eat a lot of veggies, found after great pain and ailments that it didn't like me anymore. Now I find fresh green beans tough so I cook the heck out of them, but sometimes only eat one or two; cauliflower and broccoli smell up the house but I will eat them from time to time. I still like cooked celery (peeled of strings), garlic and onions as a base for smothered chicken or some other casserole or soup.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 13:58

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

This is an interesting thread.

When I started cutting carbs, I noticed my food choices started changing (now mind you, I am on an eating plan that allows up to 100 total carbs daily, which I know horrifies some people, but yes, according to Diet Doctor, that is still low carb). But the funny thing is, the more protein I eat, the less veggies and other carbs I want, and I was a person who ate large amounts of veggies. There are some days I just eat mainly protein. I don’t crave anything else, and I feel very satisfied, But I feel guilty, because I’ve been trained that lots of veggies are healthy.

But honestly, it varies day to day. One thing for sure, my body really needs that protein more than anything else.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 15:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Meat based I agree with. Carnivore I do not. If you eat animal and plant foods you are an omnivore.

Bob

Cats are considered obligate carnivores though they eat grass. Per the National Geographic Society:

Quote:
A carnivore is an organism that mostly eats meat, or the flesh of animals. Sometimes carnivores are called predators. Organisms that carnivores hunt are called prey.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Jul-26-20 at 16:36.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 19:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

WB, as you know cats do not follow any rules. Lol
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 03:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Cats do not obey the laws of physics!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 03:24

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, ever since I went OMAD on weekdays a couple of months back, I've come to realise that the remainder of my diet these days could comfortably be described as "meat-based."

I'm definitely not 100% carnivore, it's more a case of ensuring that I continue to get enough protein in while eating less overall. When I think about what I'm having for dinner on any given evening, I first decide what meat I'm going to have, and then what - if anything - I might also have with it.

Just another step in the journey for me.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 08:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

LOVE THIS ONE!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 09:15

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Omnivore

American heritage:
1. An omnivorous animal: "Humans are quintessential omnivores" (Paul Rozin).
2. One that takes in everything available, as with the mind.

Random House:
1. someone or something that is omnivorous.
2. an omnivorous animal.

Collins:
(Zoology) an omnivorous person or animal

OED
An animal or person that eats a variety of food of both plant and animal origin.

Dictionary of unfamiliar words:
An animal that eats both plants and animals.

Merriam-Webster
One that is omnivorous

Human beings seem to be classic omnivores. Originally living as "hunter-gatherers", we hunted and fished when possible but also gathered nuts, berries, fruits, seeds, and roots for much of our diet. We're physically well suited for both tasks; our hands are perfect for picking things, and our build is ideal for running down even the fastest game animals because of our great stamina. Some 10,000 years ago humans began practicing agriculture involving both animals and plants. The other omnivorous mammals include chimpanzees, pigs, opossums, porcupines, bears, raccoons, chipmunks, mice and rats, and skunks. But even many mammals classed as carnivorous turn out to be capable of shifting to plant foods when necessary.

omnivorous

Merriam-Webster
feeding on both animal and vegetable substances

Last edited by Bob-a-rama : Mon, Jul-27-20 at 09:27.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 09:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Starting to go down a trivial side trail here with potential dead end. Back to the topic of the OP. I like the term "meal bases." Its function can help assemble meals by emphasizing one healthy component and adding other healthy things to it if desired. I believe it makes things simpler. WB, are you planning on writing an article on meal bases? I believe it would be well received.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 09:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Starting to go down a trivial side trail here with potential dead end. Back to the topic of the OP. I like the term "meal bases." Its function can help assemble meals by emphasizing one healthy component and adding other healthy things to it if desired. I believe it makes things simpler. WB, are you planning on writing an article on meal bases? I believe it would be well received.

This has been my approach too. My meal base is protein. How I differ from some of you here is that I do add a lot of low carb veggies to the base but still I never stint on the protein. That's what I prioritize. The vegetables fill in potential nutrient gaps, being full well aware that the info on nutrients is not carved in stone but I use the best we've got.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 10:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

WereBear, I do like your turn of phrase

Although not a carnivore, I would definitely say meat is my base too.