Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default 10 Weeks - Personal Record!

It's the 4th of July AND I've been on Atkins for 10 weeks!!!

I realize it's not a long time by any means, but for *me* it's a personal record. I had tried to stick to Atkins several times and just couldn't do it. I always gave in to the carb demon. The longest I ever managed was 7 or 8 weeks a couple of years ago. This time I've been over 90% cheat free and today is my 11th day, cheat free. I even started a "Cheat Free July" Challege! It puts pressure on me to continue to be cheat free, because I started the thread

I have been on CAD though, a few times and find that relatively easy to stick to. I was rarely hungry on it, often ate just once a day (the "Reward Meal") and hardly ever had cravings and I got to get my daily "fix" of CARBS!!! BUT the downside of it was I hardly lost any weight. I know in my heart it was because I didn't follow the plan to a T. But I did the best I could.

I started to seriously try to lose weight in early 2004.
Did CAD most of the time and kept trying Atkins in between. But as I said Atkins never "took". In a year and a half I managed to lose 60 lbs. Then a seies of difficult, stressing family matters completely derailed me.

For almost 2 years I kept trying to start up again, but could never succeed. Then when I was just starting to get back on track another tragedy struck. Again I let it get in my way. But a couple of months later I managed to start CAD. Did that for 4 months and then moved to Atkins 10 weeks ago. This time I'm feeling good. I have almost no cravings (well, a little in the beginning, but it's gotten a lot better).

Unfortunately I'm not a fast loser, so I have focus on, and keep telling myself, that I'm doing it for health reasons and IF weightloss occurs it's just a pleasant side-effect I know this is the right way for me to eat, I seem to have severe insulin resistance and should under no circumstances eat carbs.

well, anyway, this is my milestone today and I just wanted to "get it out"

Thanks to all who've read this far.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 14:30

Plan: WW Core
Stats: 244.5/232.5/160 Female 66"
BF:You noticed?!
Progress: 14%

CONGRATULATIONS PearlWhite!!!!!

For many of us that is a milestone . . . ten weeks is a long time! Especially when so many of us have years and years of bad habits to break. I'm sorry to hear of your family tragedies, that definitely can derail anybody's attempts to gain better health.

I totally understand the frustrations of trying to start up again, and again, and again! I've done that so many times in the past years - and just did it again this May. But for some reason this time I feel more at peace with my decision and am ready to live the lifestyle.

I love how you said that you're doing it for health reasons and weightloss is just a pleasant side-effect! That is how I need to look at this and come to peace with my body. There are no healthy quick-fixes out there, I did this to myself and I'm going to get myself back!

Happy 4th of July! Celebrate your 10 week Independence Day on Independence Day - How cool is that?!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 14:48

BF:

Thank you very much. Your post was so warm & nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by marycuth
But for some reason this time I feel more at peace with my decision and am ready to live the lifestyle.
That's exactly how I feel too now. I'm ready to do this for good now and I hope I can stick with it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 19:01

BF:

Well, it's been 10 1/2 weeks now I'm still cheat free

I just wanted to add that in the past, I let difficulties in my life affect me diet, i.e. ruin it. But this time when I was about 4 weeks into Atknis my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was determined not to let it derail me, like I had let the past two illnesses/deaths in my family.

I've managed to do just that, stay on course. I hope that is a sign of me being in a better place, more able to deal with everything, like many things going on at the same time.

P.S. My mom has had the operation, is doing really well and is starting radiation therapy soon. I'm so proud to have been able to stick with this WOL through everything, not just for my sake but for everybody's.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-08, 09:55

Plan: WW Core
Stats: 244.5/232.5/160 Female 66"
BF:You noticed?!
Progress: 14%

PearlWhite I'm so glad to hear your mom's surgery went well!
But I'm so sorry to hear she has had to go through that awful disease.

I'm proud of you for staying strong, mentally and physically!
I know how hard it is to derail your WOL when everything gets stressful - major stressful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhite
I'm so proud to have been able to stick with this WOL through everything, not just for my sake but for everybody's.

You hit the nail on the head! When we don't take care of ourselves, not only does it hurt us, it affects everybody around us! I need to remember that during stressful times!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-08, 22:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marycuth
You hit the nail on the head! When we don't take care of ourselves, not only does it hurt us, it affects everybody around us!
Exactly. We have to learn that taking care of ourselves is not being selfish, selfcentered and "putting ourselves first", etc. If you are a mess, you won't be much good for anyone or anything. I've certainly seen that, both in myself and others.

I know that many older people (esp. women) have it ingrained in them to put everybody else first; their children, family, job, etc, etc... And they never get a chance to take care of themselves and it is seen as a bad and negative thing to think about & take care of yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 01:16

Stats: 248/248/160 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Congratulations! Keep up the good work. I don't know if you like to cook but if you do there are some yummy recipes out there that can eliminate the cravings to return to carbs. My recent favorite is shepherds Pie casserole. You're only in the kitchen for 45 min and you have food for the week. ;0)