Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 11:49

Plan: keto/paleo with IF 18/6
Stats: 215.0/198.6/175 Female 68
BF:yes
Progress: 41%

Hello everyone!

I finally got back in to the site. I guess it doesn't like my personal password???

I am so thankful for this community and the vast wealth of knowledge (and recipes!).

I wanted to try carnivore again after seeing Mikhaila on Joe Rogen, but beef doesn't work for me.

I also wanted to do some kind of elimination diet to see what other foods were problematic, and why I have constant gut issues.

I ended up eating a ton of beef in January, to get the carnivore ball rolling. Gotta eat something right? And I was cooking beef for my daughter...and it smells so good...and...and...(but it causes major hay-fever-like reaction, gut pain, and makes me itchy.)

For years I thought those symptoms were because of trees and grasses in my city!

So the beef helped me stop eating carbs.

Then I stopped eating beef, eggs, and I only have some h/c in my coffee. I mostly eat pork products now.

Now I am losing weight steadily, my allergy symptoms have settled down, my gut pain is gone and I have less ridges in my nails...so win-win!

So glad to be here with you all!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 14:13

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Glad you made it back! A shame about the beef though. I'm not especially crazy about steak but I find ground beef to be very tasty and versitle. And I do love my eggs as well, though BACON is definitely a favorite.

Funny I see that you are in Kamloops. I have a couple friends I chat with online nearly every night using Google Hangouts, and one of them lives in Kamloops. She goes for walks along the river just about every single day now and the photos she sends are just beautiful. I was actually in Kamloops once myself, but that was back in 1975, LOL (I'm showing my age).

When we get on our chat we can talk about food but NOT our specific diets. My Kamloops friend goes to WW and counts her points. She doesn't seem to lose any weight but she still attends faithfully - now via Zoom. I can't really say anything about that as I've been stalled for 11 years now myself despite staying faithful to LC. I've been hoping this mostly carnivore diet would shake things loose but even being mostly carnivore my weight has been stalled for about 6 weeks now anyway,

My other friend just eats anything she wants including bread, pasta, and all sorts of carby foods. But she is nearly 90 now, in good health, and until Covid came around she was still out playing tennis a couple times a week. So I can hardly tell her she's doing it "wrong".

Last edited by Merpig : Mon, Apr-27-20 at 14:52.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 14:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I don't get along with chicken, and I sometimes wonder if it is because commercial chicken is fed with so much corn. I DO NOT get along with corn.

Sometimes it is what the animal was fed.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 15:15

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I don't get along with chicken, and I sometimes wonder if it is because commercial chicken is fed with so much corn. I DO NOT get along with corn.

Sometimes it is what the animal was fed.
I can't say I've specifically ever had an issue with corn or chicken. But I used to buy chicken and eggs from a local farmer. The eating chickens all lived in chicken tractors as popularized by Joel Salatin, and got to scratch the earth and eat plenty of bug, etc. The laying chickens were not totally "free range' in being allowed to go wherever they wanted. The farmers tried that and coyotes and raccoons destroyed their first few flock. But they build a huge chicken aviary that was about 10 feet high and 30x30 feet wide and long, with lots of perches and spaces for chickens to move around and roost. And thosse chicken also got plenty of bugs and worms in their diets.

And those were the BEST TASTING eggs and chickens I ever had. Oh wow those chickens were so delicious. Supermarket chicken tastes like styrofoam in comparison. But sadly the farmers went out of business

It still peeves me when I see eggs and/or chicken meat with the packages proudly proclaiming FED AN ALL VEGETARIAN DIET! Chickens are not supposed to be vegetarians.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 17:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

It still peeves me when I see eggs and/or chicken meat with the packages proudly proclaiming FED AN ALL VEGETARIAN DIET! Chickens are not supposed to be vegetarians.

I think they're fed a lot of soy.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 19:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yup, a corn /soy base.

We lock up the hens at night because of the coyote and racoons.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 05:02

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae_west
Hello everyone!

Then I stopped eating beef, eggs, and I only have some h/c in my coffee. I mostly eat pork products now.

Now I am losing weight steadily, my allergy symptoms have settled down, my gut pain is gone and I have less ridges in my nails...so win-win!

So glad to be here with you all!

Why do you suppose you are losing weight eating pork but couldn't lose eating beef?

Just curious.

I guess i will have to look them up
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 05:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

Likewise. I buy local eggs from free range chickens, but I can't eat supermarket chicken. I'm sure it's what they eat. And it's hard to find the meat from those chickens: they are layers, not eating chickens.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 05:12

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Carnivore beef vs pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Why do you suppose you are losing weight eating pork but couldn't lose eating beef?

Just curious.

I guess i will have to look them up

Well I looked it up. Here is what I found

3 ounces rib eye = 225 cal, 14 gm fat
3 ounces pork chops 179 cal, 8 gm fat

That's quite a difference
I shall have to concentrate more on pork rather than beef to try to break my current stagnant weight
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 09:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Likewise. I buy local eggs from free range chickens, but I can't eat supermarket chicken. I'm sure it's what they eat. And it's hard to find the meat from those chickens: they are layers, not eating chickens.

Difficult to find spent hens. They sure are tasty though. A richer flavor than 8 week old cornish cross.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 09:31

BF:

Funny thing: I started adding greens on a condiment level, but eating so many meals at home made me realize I was jacking up those portions. So I eliminated them entirely.

And my cravings went away. That is weird.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, May-29-20, 08:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Truth about the Carnivore Diet
A new talk by Dr Shawn Baker.

https://youtu.be/RYtAYbQ166g
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 02:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A new round-up of research by health issue on the Carnivore diet.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/car...search-science/
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 08:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A new round-up of research by health issue on the Carnivore diet.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/car...search-science/

I like the way Mark addresses carnivore in this piece. Very thorough and informative. Thanks for the link, Janet.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Oct-29-20, 09:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have a question for you guys on organ meats. Since I don't like organ meats, I've decided to try the Ancestral Grassfed Beef Organs. The container says to take 6 capsules daily. Along with some other supplements I want to take (like probiotics, magnesium, krill oil, milk thistle, and a few others), the number of capsules I'm taking is really getting up there.

Since I don't think you really have to eat organs every day, why would I need to take 6 capsules each and every day?

Think maybe 2 per day would suffice? Or maybe 6 capsules, but only a 2 days a week?

All thoughts are appreciated.