Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-19, 08:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
...now that is helpful - Thank you!

finally finished The Logevity Solution, agree with your detailed review above....particularly.....
Quite a few product placement buy this brand with web site listed lol.
It was done so often it began to grate on my nerves...have never seen a health book this blatant. A list of recommended products at the end of a chapter is fine, but weaving it into the narrative was a bit much
They did convince me to try Krill Oil...but it will not be the Neptune brand. Costco has a Mega-Red Krill Oil...seems fine.

I had not read The Salt Fix book...the Salt chapter does seem to cover the high points.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-19, 09:11

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have this book on hold at the library. There are 2 people ahead of me on the hold list so it will be a while.
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-19, 09:14

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Since Dr Westman keeps the program so simple, and believes in humans innate ability to get the amount of protein they need, I did nothing more than:
Goal to Eat 14oz (my target amount at 1.5kg per K LBM), eat whatever I like, say 2 eggs, 6oz can salmon for lunch, 6 Oz beef for dinner = 14 Oz protein. If I went over or under, and I went over often in the first couple of years, no worries, still in a pretty wide range.

I eat approximately 12 -16 oz of protein a day. When I eat less I stay hungry. This amount seems to be where I naturally land.
  #139   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 05:41

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Recently borrowed:

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, Sally Fallon, Mary G. Enig (1995)

Parts of the intro was great. Lots of recipes - not all of them are for everyone, ingredient-wise and LC-wise. So it was a skim and return.

- - -

Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle, Alessio Fasano, Susie Flaherty (2013)

Hard to get into - I didn't get beyond a few pages. An interesting subject, and his video: Spectrum of Gluten-Related Disorders: People Shall Not Live by Bread Alone is outstanding and highly recommended. The book..., not so much.

- - -

Currently reading Richard D. Feinman's 2019 book Nutrition in Crisis: Flawed Studies, Misleading Advice, and the Real Science of Human Metabolism. Now this is one I can sink my teeth into. Take the test:

https://i.imgur.com/H6KPXtP.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/hhe4Glv.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/mcNOklD.jpg?1

^ third pic are additional multiple choice for question #10.

answers - highlight between brackets to read (and weep?)
[ >1 fat
2 bread
3 carbs
4 carbs
5 no requirement
6 50 percent
7 olive, canola, avocado
8 carb
9 decrease
10 unsaturated fat > carb
< ]

also, a great couple pages here:

image link

#140   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 14:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I love Nourishing Traditions! One of the two books (along with Good Calories, Bad Caliries) that I felt really opened my eyes and changed my life. Not all the recipes are LC of course but many are and others could be made so. I love cookbooks yet somehow rarely make the recipes. For example I just bought two of Maria Emmerich’s Keto cookbooks and they were fun, but just about every recipe seemed to require about a zillion ingredients. Not my kind of cooking. I’ll probably never make them.

But there are quite a few recipes from Nourishing Traditions that I have made more than once and will again. I especially love the moussaka, and the tahini salad dressing. Nice recipe for homemade mayo too. Can’t recall others as the book is currently in storage.
  #141   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 18:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've stopped buying cookbooks because I don't like to make complicated things with more than 10 ingredients (including the herbs, spices & salt); I get them out of the library. I do own and like Nourishing Traditions, but the book I use the most is The Joy of Cooking from the 1940s because it covers how long to cook basic things like roasts and has a great "substitutions" list for when you are missing an ingredient. I rarely follow recipes but will look up what herbs/spices go with whatever meat/poultry/fish and vegs I have at hand, depending on whether I'm feeling like Mexican, Indian, Asian, French or Irish food at the time.
  #142   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-19, 21:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Recently borrowed:

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, Sally Fallon, Mary G. Enig (1995)

Parts of the intro was great. Lots of recipes - not all of them are for everyone, ingredient-wise and LC-wise. So it was a skim and return.

- - -

Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle, Alessio Fasano, Susie Flaherty (2013)

Hard to get into - I didn't get beyond a few pages. An interesting subject, and his video: Spectrum of Gluten-Related Disorders: People Shall Not Live by Bread Alone is outstanding and highly recommended. The book..., not so much.

- - -

Currently reading Richard D. Feinman's 2019 book Nutrition in Crisis: Flawed Studies, Misleading Advice, and the Real Science of Human Metabolism. Now this is one I can sink my teeth into. Take the test:

https://i.imgur.com/H6KPXtP.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/hhe4Glv.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/mcNOklD.jpg?1

^ third pic are additional multiple choice for question #10.

answers - highlight between brackets to read (and weep?)
[ >1 fat
2 bread
3 carbs
4 carbs
5 no requirement
6 50 percent
7 olive, canola, avocado
8 carb
9 decrease
10 unsaturated fat > carb
< ]

also, a great couple pages here:

image link

I am also reading Nutrition in Crisis and enjoying.
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 05:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I found Nourishing Traditions barely used at our annual library book sale...people buy cookbooks, make one recipe, then donate the next time they magically "tidy up" plus our library buys a ridiculous number of cookbooks so they are always shedding extras too...next sale in 2 weeks.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, May-23-19, 15:09

BF:

Put down a non-fiction as I picked up and started Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival, by T.S. Wiley and Bent Formby.

This is a page turning. Grabbed my attention from the introduction. Here's a couple pages:

#145   ^
Old Tue, May-28-19, 07:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Here in Massachusetts more and more families have two working parents. It has become a must to pay for everything. I have looked at this over and over, spurred on by the journalist who shared the pain of a mother deserting him as a young boy and the forgiveness that came with the understanding of her choice to return to her Amazon family. His photographer videoed her swinging in a hammock with her sister.

I often think of this woman who recognized that less material things with more family and leisure time was far more food for the soul than the hurry hurry rush rush work work work that is the norm around me.

The house prices require two incomes. Builders only build Mc Mansions... you should see the dozen already finished of the some 50 planned across the street. The construction noise has replaced the quiet forest.

We built a modest house-- small by even standards 25 years ago. Im thankful we bought a fairly large acreage abutting state land but even the noise pollution and the exhaust pollution can reach me.

We are on a run away train...... and slowing down doesn't seem possible. Most people must work until forever as there are no savings due to the long recession..... otherwise, is it only the retirees that can get a full nights sleep?????

I actually live in a town of 15 churches. One of the main businesses closes on SUnday. Yes, really. Of course Walmart moved in with a mega store so it is always open. ANd pays poor wages. Good for a second job.

Seems there is only one way off this train......

BUt you keep me thinking...... and looking for brakes.
  #146   ^
Old Tue, May-28-19, 07:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

s93uv3h, wow it does sound like a page turner. I’ll look it up. In regards to getting less sleep, my doctor asked me if how I was sleeping. I had told her not too well. Restless and I generally sleep between 6-7 hrs/night. She suggested a low dose thyroid med. My thyroid number was just below ‘normal’ range. I took it for about 2 months. It didn’t make an difference. I called and said I’d be stopping it. She said Ok! Why do these doctor prescribe meds and then so nonchalantly say ‘ok you can stop’ instead of saying something like ‘well let’s do a blood test to see what you thyroid numbers are’ I’m going to checkout this book you’re reading as I don’t think I sleep that well but it might just be my cycle. I do better taking magnesium at night.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 03:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
s93uv3h, wow it does sound like a page turner. I’ll look it up. In regards to getting less sleep, my doctor asked me if how I was sleeping. I had told her not too well. Restless and I generally sleep between 6-7 hrs/night. She suggested a low dose thyroid med. My thyroid number was just below ‘normal’ range. I took it for about 2 months. It didn’t make an difference. I called and said I’d be stopping it. She said Ok! Why do these doctor prescribe meds and then so nonchalantly say ‘ok you can stop’ instead of saying something like ‘well let’s do a blood test to see what you thyroid numbers are’ I’m going to checkout this book you’re reading as I don’t think I sleep that well but it might just be my cycle. I do better taking magnesium at night.
The seven part of the 6-7 is great! There are many things you can do to improve / facilitate better sleep.

- get rid of electronics from in and around the place you sleep.
- complete darkness.
- silence is golden
- eye mask
- during the morning / day, avoid sunglasses and soak in that 10,000 lux sunlight as it burns away the melatonin / wakes you up.
- get as much sunlight every day as you can - even in front of a window is better than sitting in a closet
- this one is easier said than done - your place of sleep needs to be cool
- set aside 8-9 hours of time in bed every night - from reading lights out, even lying there trying to sleep, or being aware of being awake has benefits.
  #148   ^
Old Thu, May-30-19, 12:10

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Great list.

I noticed my dogs have a sleep schedule too. About 8pm they start to quiet down, and by 9ish, all is quiet.

The birds that crow all day also head for bed, up into rafters or into a coop. The ducks are the last to go in.... they push the limits.
  #149   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 11:04

BF:

just picked up this dictionary (it's so heavy lol) from the library:

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (The Science and Lore of the Kitchen #1), Harold McGee 1984 - 2004 update

cheese & tooth decay:

https://i.imgur.com/n3zG95t.jpg

pasterized & raw milk and the fda

bottom right:
https://i.imgur.com/RaC4ZG0.jpg

top left:
https://i.imgur.com/RsYOkzD.jpg
  #150   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 12:15

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks for posting this, s!

…”it has been recognized for decades that eating cheese slows tooth decay.” My older sister told me years ago that an old small-town doctor she saw as a young mother told her to eat an ounce or so of cheese before bed for that reason. I adopted that practice and find it also helps with stabilizing my blood sugar. Before doing that, I would wake after a few hours, restless and “starving” from hypoglycemia. Cheese before bed, and then I usually don’t feel the need to eat until 5 or 6 pm the next day.

Cheese, glorious cheese!