Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-19, 10:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
So how about this list of tests at this hospital, any of them the CAC?

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/he...-scan-packages/

So does anybody know if this is CAC?

Quote:

Heart Scan – $140

Calcium Score — Also known as a heart scan, this uses a computed tomography (CT) scan to detect the presence and extent of calcium deposits within the walls of the coronary arteries. Calcium is one of the substances that make up plaque, a waxy substance that can build up in coronary arteries, and over time, cause those arteries to harden or rupture. A heart scan is used to detect coronary artery disease and, if present, can determine the severity.

Heart scans are typically performed in men aged 40 and older and women 50 and older who have risk factors for developing coronary artery disease, but no symptoms. A heart scan is a simple test that only takes about 10 minutes. You will be asked to lie still in the CT scanner machine while it takes X-ray pictures of your heart. The pictures from the scan will tell your doctor whether you have calcification in your coronary arteries, an early sign of coronary artery disease. If calcifications appear, your doctor will work with you to help prevent a heart attack or other heart problems.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Aug-26-19 at 12:40.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-19, 12:51

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Yes Meme, that one is the CT scan you want.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-19, 13:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Yes Meme, that one is the CT scan you want.

Thank you so much Bev.!!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-19, 13:13

BF:

I asked my doc to prescribe one for me. Justification? My Mother died of a heart attack at age 72, my Dad had congestive heart failure the last 6 years of his life, and my total cholesterol is high enough that most docs would be pushing statins on me. (Not sure if you need an Rx in Texas to get one or not but I was hoping my insurance would go ahead and spring for it.) Insurance declined to pay...guess insurer doesn't REALLY think my cholesterol is all that high!

I think it wound up costing me about $150 but, given residual concerns over all the warnings that eating meat and fat was "gonna clog my arteries," I decided it was worth it.

Results? After 5 years eating LCHF, I got a CAC scored of ZERO which is perfect. No sign at all of any plaque build-up in my arteries.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-19, 13:29

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
I asked my doc to prescribe one for me. Justification? My Mother died of a heart attack at age 72, my Dad had congestive heart failure the last 6 years of his life, and my total cholesterol is high enough that most docs would be pushing statins on me. (Not sure if you need an Rx in Texas to get one or not but I was hoping my insurance would go ahead and spring for it.) Insurance declined to pay...guess insurer doesn't REALLY think my cholesterol is all that high!

I think it wound up costing me about $150 but, given residual concerns over all the warnings that eating meat and fat was "gonna clog my arteries," I decided it was worth it.

Results? After 5 years eating LCHF, I got a CAC scored of ZERO which is perfect. No sign at all of any plaque build-up in my arteries.
FANTASTIC!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-19, 16:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:

Now that's good news . . .
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-19, 03:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It was Dr Davis writing about calcium scores that first got me reading him. This was before he was blogging about wheat!

Gosh, some of us have been at this for a long time
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-19, 08:39

BF:

Quote:

Wow Bev that's great!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-19, 17:50

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yeah, Bev! Unfortunately I've never heard from anyone that their insurance covers this test, but at least it's not super expensive. Perhaps some day it will be covered as knowledge of its benefit spreads.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-19, 20:09
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
… Results? After 5 years eating LCHF, I got a CAC scored of ZERO which is perfect. No sign at all of any plaque build-up in my arteries.

You can't do any better than that. Congratulations!!!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 00:56

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:

Congrats!

#42   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 07:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Yeah, Bev! Unfortunately I've never heard from anyone that their insurance covers this test, but at least it's not super expensive. Perhaps some day it will be covered as knowledge of its benefit spreads.

What I understood from The Widowmaker movie, a Texas state senator did get a law passed that insurance had to pay for a CAC. With some of the brilliant governors in the meantime...maybe that was reversed? Good news I have seen $50 scans now...midwest, south Florida. Lots of old folk and excess CT time slots = dropping prices. Heart month special, a Medical Tourism jaunt in February. https://baptisthealth.net/baptist-h...e-heart-attack/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-28-19 at 07:13.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 15:13
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:

That's just fabulous!!

PJ
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-19, 16:30

BF:

Not sure but I think insurance is only required to pay for CAC if you're considered to be at "intermediate" (or higher) risk of a heart attack. Since I had a family history of heart disease AND a previous doctor started pushing statins at me more than 15 years ago because of my cholesterol levels, I figured I'd qualify. My insurer decided I didn't fit the criteria, probably because I don't smoke and, by the time I asked for the test, I was no longer obese and no longer had high blood pressure! It wasn't worth it to me to try and fight them to get them to pay.

At least in the Austin area, the price - even without insurance - has come down since I had mine done. It is now just $75 at ARA Diagnostic Imaging. And, according to ARA's website, it doesn't look like you need a doctor's Rx in Texas.