Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-19, 07:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCat
While I do really like the sweet potatoes with cinnamon, I understand that they are still pretty high on the GI scale (albeit better than white potatoes or a Snickers bar).

I do like vegetables, but I get bored quickly with raw salads. I'm trying to learn to cook more things. Broccoli and spaghetti squash are pretty easy, but, like the raw stuff, eating it too frequently can get really dull. And if food is boring, I'll look for something more interesting, carbs be damned!

So, to get specific, if I go out tonight and get a spaghetti squash, any spices you'd recommend? Usually, I just put butter and pepper on it, but... boring after the first serving.

My taste buds are better satisfied with stronger, spicier add-ons. Like garlic salt over braised broccali, topped with a slice of cheese; or broiled brussel spoutes smothered in EVOO and salt and pepper.

I make the spagetti squash with a parmesan and cream sauce, along with salt and pepper.

Or some like SS with a marinara sauce ramped u p with extras like basil and garlic, and scallions.

When you are ready, look up a Red Thai curry recipe--- very hot, but loaded with an array of sweet and hot spices.

For salads, which DO get boring fast: blue cheese dressing, or Italian to amp up the flavor; or try sauting those same greens in EVOO, lemon juice and garlic. And butter.

Also consider other fats like bacon or beef fat. Adds a diffreent flavor than EVOO or butter. Sometimes adding CO for the MCT as well, no flavor there if refined. Otherwise unrefined coconut oil has a slightly coconutty smell which will change a dish.

Red pepper flakes is awesome. Using just a pinch has a different effect than a whole lot more. Just complicates the flavors when a pinch is used, like in tomato sauces, or sauted vegies.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-19, 12:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I like spaghetti squash with anything I used to put on pasta: butter and parmesan cheese, a creamy garlic sauce, pesto (easy to make, but also fine jarred), or any sauce you might have put on pasta - just try to avoid added sugar/starches. I often have it with a chunky meat sauce to make it a whole meal.

I like bagged cole slaw mix for something different in the salad department. You can put on any dressing that you like. A bonus is that you can also cook with it. Cook up some bacon and onions, then stir that stuff in and sautee it. YUM. Fast comfort food.

As for cooked veggies, my favorite easy ones are frozen veg mixes that I can nuke. There are lots of combinations, and some of them are meant for stir-fries so they're quite flavourful even if you just put some butter, salt and pepper on them.

Have fun.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-19, 07:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yes we have Montreal Seasoning mix and other GrillMates blends by the McCormick company. https://www.mccormick.com/grill-mates a brand Found in most every grocer including Walmart. I went on their website...Yikes! everything about spices, spice mixes and recipes you could ever want to know. https://www.mccormick.com Dont forget fish...Bay Seasoning for everything from the sea. I use wild caught canned salmon...just add mayo and Bay, as a salad or sautéed burgers.

Ditto everything Kristine suggested. Meat and sausage, add a jar of sauce, Over spaghetti squash or any veg you like. Bags of coleslaw mix cooked become the wildly popular "CrackSlaw" https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/crack-slaw
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 08:32
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

And there ya go! Before ya know it, you're addicted to spice usage, paying good money to have your reno guy build you a floor to ceiling spice rack and are still running out of room to house them all. https://imgur.com/e7ZD7Hr Have fun with your spice journey. I sure have in my 50 years of cooking.