Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 04:38

Plan: CALP, CAD
Stats: 330/318/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

And the miracle of it all is.................it happened One Day at a Time! Good morning everyone! Feeling great 5 days into induction (strict). Wow, Susanne, Annie, Liddie......great stats!!!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 06:15
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I think that the reason that Atkins works so well for me is because the sugar set off cravings for me that I had no control over, now it seems like I can take care of me without the food binges of the past, that is a Blessing, because I hated the loss of control in that area of my life, It was too close to how i react to alcohol.
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 10:02

Plan: Low Carb WOE
Stats: 156/135/135 Female 66 inches
BF:28/17%/19%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by belueiris
Well if you know Bill W. and Dr. Bob
4/4/01

I do, and I just saw this thread. This is cool. Sober for about ten years. I lose track. I sadly do not know my actual sobriety date. Just the time frame. DH sober right at 15 years. Gotta read back. I'll check back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTwacky
They (as well as I did for a long time) PURSUED THE ILLUSION THAT ONE DAY I COULD EAT LIKE A NORMAL PERSON.

Nothing else matters if you don't believe you have a problem with the food. Even the ones that do believe that the way they eat is abnormal, don't want to believe that the answer is to not eat those foods one day at a time.

Ok, so I read back through all the posts and found this quote by MsTwacky on the first page. The way this hit me was a little brutal. I'm gonna have to think about this for a while.

Last edited by Earthgirl : Thu, Jun-29-06 at 10:50.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 23:52

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%
Smile

I was so happy to see this thread. Hello and Hugs to all of you!!!

I have been sober in AA for almost 19 years. My sobriety date is 7/19/87.

This has been a year of surrender for me. I quit smoking and used the steps to quit. I just discovered I am bipolar and am using the steps on accepting that. And I am using the steps on surrendering the illusion I can eat normally. I am a carbohydrate addict, hyperinsulinemic, and have to follow a food plan.

Without AA, I would never have made it this far.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 09:15

Plan: On my own
Stats: 250/244/135 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 5%

HI Mirielle,
Welcome!!

I have been abstinant for 206 days.
I did very well on the holiday.it feels good just to treat holidays like a regular day and there is not as much struggle.

Hope everyone is doing great.

Annie
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Jul-05-06, 09:23
Butter is Better!

Hi Mirielle, welcome, I have found so much help on here for my carb addictions, and one of the things I learned in AA is that the more help and support I have the better I do, and by trying to help others I help myself. This is a great place for us to be!
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 09:05

So last night I was having some stinkin' thinkin', and was as down as I could be.

DH came in and comforted me, and it helped. But I realize that maybe it's a burden on him to have to comfort me all the time, when he struggles with depression too. Maybe I should find ways to comfort myself and be responsible for getting myself out of these funks! It occurred to me that I used to do this with food, and now that I choose not to comfort myself with food, I'm not sure I know what to do?

I already went and exercised yesterday, and by the time the depressy feelings hit, it was too late in the evening to go back to the gym. I didn't feel like it anyway.

Maybe I need to works some steps over my food or something. I know I need to find a sponsor for my Bill W. recovery-I haven't had one in many many years. I actually haven't been working a program, either. I have stayed sober, though. My advice to myself would be "go back to meetings and get a sponsor." Problem is, there aren't many (if any) women at our meeting with more sobriety time than me. Most of them are still pretty new (two years or less). And they are not as stable as one would hope for. DH sez I oughtta try going to a noon meeting. Maybe I'll do that. In the mean time, I need to adress my stinkin thinkin, and try and remember what I used to do to soothe myself before I started filling all the holes with food.
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-06, 09:15
Butter is Better!

Hi Earthgirl, there are more people with longtime sobriety at our noon meetings, and having a sponser to talk to really helps me when I get into those moods, if you can't get out though, perhaps a visit to a doctor would help you, depression is dangerous to anyone. Hugs!
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 21:20
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

WOW........so glad to see all of you here and posting. Welcome, Sherry and Earthgirl!!!!!! I loved that post of MsTwacky..that's exactly what I said to myself when I started applying the principles of this program to my eating addiciton. IT WORKED. It still works. And I am so very grateful that it does....
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-06, 23:13

Plan: Bernstein, M&E
Stats: 179/163.3/118 Female 5'4'
BF:2darnmuch
Progress: 26%

I don't think what Miss Twacky said is brutal. It is the truth. I came to AA because I realized I was powerless over alcohol...I had to give up the illusion that I could drink like a normal person. I was a late onset alcoholic. I do know what it is like to be a social drinker, but I will never be able to drink socially again.

I have known since about age 5 or 6 that I could not eat like my friends. I knew that I processed food differently. Now I know why...I am hyperinsulinemic and cannot eat carbs normally. I had and have all the diseases of hyperinsulinemia, including PCOS. I remained slim until I was about 34 by eating once a day, eating high amounts of meat, and restricting my carbs. Then I spent many years attempting to cook and eat normally, hitting a max of 195.

My hubby was thin, could eat anything, but got heavy in his 20s. He has struggled with a cholesterol problem his whole life. He also has had depression and very shaky hands, which was diagnosed as familial tremor. He has felt doomed, being the spitting image of his father and his grandfather, who both died young. His father was a doctor, but was a bad diabetic and died of a stroke at age 61.

We are doing CALP and love it. We can have a little sugar...it is no more addictive to us than rice, beans, bread, or fruit if served at the right time. My hubby and I are both doing this...and the results have been amazing. We both feel better...no craving.

Today my hubby told me that he had been told by an allergist that he was allergic to wheat. I said,"What???" Anyway, we had a great talk and decided to see what happens if we totally avoid wheat as a carb for a month. I suspect that I may have issues with it, too.

My hubby has had that tremor in his hands since he was in high school. He was telling me how calm he feels tonight and suddenly I noticed his hands were as steady as a rock. I said,"You have lost your tremor, babe." He was like,"OMG!! I will never cheat on this."

I believe that when we admit we are powerless over anything, it is scary...but the rewards, including freedom, are incalculable.
  #116   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 09:51
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Well said, Mirielle...thank you...I have suspected lately that I have issues with wheat too. It's wonderful to hear other folks admit their dysfunctional eating patterns go WAY back; mine sure do. Welcome to the thread!!!!
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 08:47

Plan: On my own
Stats: 250/244/135 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi,
Hope everyone is hanging in there in this heat wave and storms

Annie
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 10:05

Thanks Annie, Liddie and Suzanne;

We are having a horrible heat wave but no storms...you having storms?

I am doing better today. It has helped to go to a couple of meetings. Next week I'm going to try two new meetings. I'm going to go to a noon one, and a non-smoking one on THursday night (I can't go tonight because of work). I think they will be good ones.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 10:47
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthgirl
I know I need to find a sponsor for my Bill W. recovery-I haven't had one in many many years. I actually haven't been working a program, either. I have stayed sober, though. My advice to myself would be "go back to meetings and get a sponsor." Problem is, there aren't many (if any) women at our meeting with more sobriety time than me. Most of them are still pretty new (two years or less). And they are not as stable as one would hope for. DH sez I oughtta try going to a noon meeting. Maybe I'll do that. In the mean time, I need to adress my stinkin thinkin, and try and remember what I used to do to soothe myself before I started filling all the holes with food.

I have the same problem here. I know there are online meetings-you might want to think about that too.
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoanth
I have the same problem here. I know there are online meetings-you might want to think about that too.
Good idea! I actually hadn't even thought of that. I'll check into it, thanks!