Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-23, 09:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Brain Energy

Brain Energy: A Revolutionary Breakthrough in Understanding Mental Health--And Improving Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, Ocd, Ptsd, and More
By Christopher Palmer, MD

https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Energy.../dp/1637741588/

This book was published almost a year ago and it has had a huge impact on Metabolic treatments for Psychological issues. Dr Palmer has been interviewed on Huberman Lab, Tim Ferris, and many other videos/podcasts. He has spoken at numerous conferences and contributed to more acceptance of Ketogenic Therapies for mental health, including Bipolar disorder.

Along with his book and lectures, the new non-profit Metabolic Mind https://www.metabolicmind.org/ has also been impactful bringing more awareness of alternative treatments. Their Education Center and blog has extensive information and this morning's podcast was no exception.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000630735486

Quote:
According to Harvard psychiatrist Dr. Chris Palmer and the Brain Energy theory, mitochondria play a crucial role in mental health and in psychiatric conditions like bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, and others. But the good news is that recognizing the importance of mitochondria and metabolic health can help us see psychiatric illness in a whole new way and may offer novel, more effective treatments. Dr. Palmer argues this could be the solution to our mental health crisis and not only improve the lives of individuals but also impact our homeless and incarceration problems. Expert featured in this episode Chris Palmer, MD - www.ChrisPalmerMD.com Twitter ~ChrisPalmerMD
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-15-23, 06:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amazing personal story of BiPolar 1 (mitochondrial dysfunction) treatment (she gained 70 pounds) her diet and recovery.

Quote:
When you look at pictures of me at the beginning of my ketogenic therapy versus today, more than two years in, my radical physical transformation is evident. Focusing on “before and after” pictures, though, is not the story I want to tell. Not only is it the least interesting part of my journey, but as a mental health advocate, I do not wish to contribute to the diet culture noise that, if anything, exacerbates the mental health crisis.

After a severe psychotic break at the age of 28, I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder. Clinicians told me that I had a chronic condition and would need to take medication for the rest of my life to maintain mental stability. When I began taking antipsychotics, my brain and body changed rapidly. I gained more than seventy pounds in less than six months. I experienced impaired cognition; thinking creatively and focusing deeply became a struggle. After seven years of coping with these side effects, I discovered the pioneering science of metabolic interventions through the work of Dr. Christopher Palmer, author of Brain Energy. Compelling evidence suggests that mental illnesses are a result of neurometabolic dysfunction, opening up the possibility of more effective, comprehensive treatments that address root causes and could potentially lead to complete remission and recovery. Continues...

Please Don’t Call Ketogenic Therapy A “Diet”

https://www.metabolicmind.org/blog/...therapy-a-diet/
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-23, 07:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Glad you posted this personal story enabled through the work of Dr. Palmer and the team at Metabolic Mind. Those of us who have been active on this forum will be familiar with many of those working on this team. It’s such a compelling approach to achieve improved health by leveraging and unleashing the capabilities of human metabolism enabling the body to do what it does best. It enables every person who is currently compromised or traveling down the path of poor metabolic health to realize we all have the power to correct these dysfunctions with simple, accessible, and inexpensive solutions.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-23, 07:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I don’t speak about this much but for years I struggled with severe depression. I tried every antidepressant available and none of them helped. One psychiatrist said I had “treatment resistant depression” which just meant that they had no idea how to help me. When I changed my diet to low carb it all began to change. This was about 20 years ago now. I turns out that there was a way to treat my depression and it was by changing the food that I ate. While what most people saw was my weight loss, what I saw also was the radical change in my mood. I wish all people suffering from “mental illness” would be given information and help with dietary change.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-23, 03:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I wish all people suffering from “mental illness” would be given information and help with dietary change.

I'm so pleased to hear because I've had a lifelong anxiety problem (and perfectly understandable given my stresses) but psychiatric drugs either do NOTHING... or create more problems.

Dr. Abram Hoffer's therapeutic niacin program fixed it. I'm still on it. Even during the stressful last few years Here's my thread on it, and other success stories, for the curious.

I'm doing Niacin Therapy

Neglecting niacin was the cause of the pellagra "epidemics" in the rural US South. They took the germ from the ground corn so it would keep better. And for people who used it as a staple, it was disastrous.

To this day, the US and UK fortify their flour products for public health, while Canada does not. And as a result, their vegans are more likely to show up with B vitamin deficiencies. I was just watching a video from a Canadian doctor about a young man who went blind -- and refused to stop being vegan!

In Canada, he shows up for a shot on a regular basis. So far, his vision came back. But imagine the unseen damage, still going on! And after such a dramatic warning.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-23, 11:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
To this day, the US and UK fortify their flour products for public health, while Canada does not. And as a result, their vegans are more likely to show up with B vitamin deficiencies. I was just watching a video from a Canadian doctor about a young man who went blind -- and refused to stop being vegan!

Dr. Abram Hoffer did most of his research in the 1940s-50s. Canada hadn't yet jumped on the "enrichment bandwagon" like the US and UK because Cdn health scientists considered the addition of synthetic vitamins to foods as"adulteration" ... not fortification. Instead, they tried (in vain) to develop ways to preserve the natural vitamins in grains through the milling process.

However, Canada began fortifying white flour and bread products in the 1950s, although it wasn't until the 90s that Health Canada actually mandated specific "what and how much" regulations across the entire country I certainly remember being taught in school in the late 60s that white flour and white bread were "enriched" with B vitamins and iron, milk was fortified with vitamin D and table salt had iodine added. The 1998 regulations also covered fortification of breakfast cereals, rice and cornmeal products. (An analysis of the development of Canadian food fortification policies: the case of vitamin B)

That being said, as a lowcarber I appreciate that pork is an excellent source of natural thiamine, niacin and other B-vitamins .. and iron

#7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-23, 03:21

BF:

Thanks, Doreen, why did a Canadian doctor say otherwise?

Oh brave new world...

And this dimension is a sad case of them being right, because we know much more now about how natural foods have a unique ability to get nutrients in bioavailable forms. I learn towards smoothies with both Greek yogurt and Naked Whey.

It's not a spreadsheet. Iodine in the salt did dramatically reduce the incidence of goiter, at a time when getting fresh seafood into the interior of the country was nearly impossible. But all along the RDA was about a minimum.

I can't help but see the ultra processed food as a similar problem. It's addicting, but will sustain life for a while. The giant surge in so many degenerative health issues is completely tracked from the point food became just another consumer good. Competing on price and colors!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-23, 03:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
That being said, as a lowcarber I appreciate that pork is an excellent source of natural thiamine, niacin and other B-vitamins .. and iron

Cheap and goes well with shredded cheese in a coconut wrap.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-23, 10:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've got relatives with psychiatric disorders and incredibly unhealthy diets that likely make it all that much worse. Sadly, their issues prevent them from taking in information that would help them.