Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-21, 03:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default New series uses Keto to Reverse type2 diabetes airing in September

Quote:
New series uses Keto to Reverse type2 diabetes airing in September

The award-winning filmmaker and TV producer Charles Mattocks is launching an exclusive premier series airing September 24th on Glewed TV. Charles has reprised his acclaimed series Reversed, that aired on the Discovery Network and shifted the focus to reversing type 2 diabetes.

Charles has teamed up with some of the best in the business of keto and intermittent fasting, from Dr Ken Berry, a Board-Certified Family Physician and Fellow in The American Academy of Family Physicians. He is a well-known for his work with the ketogenic / low carb lifestyle. Dr Ken’s book, Lies My Doctor Told Me, is critically acclaimed and he has over 1.5 million followers alone on YouTube. Dr Ken is seen on many outlets reaching millions with his health-related content.

Dr. Jason Fung is a Canadian nephrologist. He’s a world-leading expert on intermittent fasting and low carb, especially for treating people with type 2 diabetes. He has written three best-selling health books and co-founded the Intensive Dietary Management program.

Maria Emmerich is a wellness expert in nutrition and exercise. She shares a passion for helping others reach their goals of optimal health. She is a published author of over 20 books and is the founder of Maria Mind Body Health and Keto-adapted.com. Maria is a major face in the ketogenic space and is recognized by her peers for her amazing keto recipes.

In this riveting eight-part series, we feature the use of the ketogenic lifestyle and intermittent fasting to help change the lives of these four individuals. Shot in beautiful Costa Rica, Charles and the Reversed team took three people living with type 2 diabetes and brought in some of the top experts in health, nutrition, and mental health. They came together to help educate the guests on how to reverse their type 2 diabetes with diet, exercise, and an overall healthy lifestyle.

Lisa, who was also featured on season one of Reversed, is back after her husband’s passing to take back her health. Jerome, who was also featured on season one, is HIV positive, living with type 2 diabetes and has heart issues, is also back after losing almost 50 pounds and by doctor’s orders, has come off his insulin. This season features two new faces, Jannet, who is fighting to be healthy for herself and her two daughters, as well as Lisa’s daughter, Amanda, who chose to take part to be a support for her mother. The results are shocking and will blow you away.

Reversed will air this September, premiering on Glewed TV. Glewed TV sources and produces content of high production value with over 10,000 hours available. Main content categories include food, children, sports, DIY, educational, documentaries, animals/wildlife, travel, comedy, product reviews and movies.

Charles has teamed up with some partners in keto and health to bring this project to life. Those partners include: Keto Mojo, Keto Chow, Carb Manager, ENERGYbits, Pork King Good, Select Savory Seasonings, Stevia Sweet BBQ, Redmond Life, Secco Wine Club, Spring Health, Ketonessa, Lysulin, Labin and Kilosophy.

https://www.bellaandellemedia.com/season-2-reversed

About Charles Mattocks

Every career move Celebrity Chef Charles Mattocks has made has been in keeping with his desire to touch lives in a positive way. Inspired by his uncle, the late Bob Marley, Mattocks dared to dream big. After giving a stunning performance in the title role of the Emmy nominated The Summer of Ben Tyler, Mattocks, a single Dad, decided the Hollywood lifestyle was not the best for his young son and moved across the country. Charles has appeared on The Today Show, Good Morning America, The Talk, Martha Stewart, CNN and Dr. OZ and others.

Mattocks is no stranger to diabetes, as he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and has become a tireless advocate for diabetics everywhere. Charles is determined to help stem the time of this deadly disease. Mattocks began to use media to reach the masses. He launched season one of Reversed in 2017, with a vision and passion to help people live better lives.

https://www.getnews.info/1155048/ne...-september.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-21, 04:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Sounds exciting. I hope it becomes available on more channels.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-21, 10:17

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Sounds exciting. I hope it becomes available on more channels.
Glewed TV is available as a free app, so you can download it and watch on various devices. I've downloaded it to my Fire TV.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-21, 08:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I did the same. Downloaded Glewed TV last night. As Demi states, it's a free streaming service. The first series on T2D is currently available.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-21, 09:50

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm still unclear about what they mean by "reversing" diabetes.

To my mind, if you have reversed the disease, that should mean that you are back to the state you were in previously, as would be indicated by something like a glucose tolerance test. Is that truly the case? Or are they simply managing the disease very effectively?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-21, 14:41

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
I'm still unclear about what they mean by "reversing" diabetes.

To my mind, if you have reversed the disease, that should mean that you are back to the state you were in previously, as would be indicated by something like a glucose tolerance test. Is that truly the case? Or are they simply managing the disease very effectively?

No, I think you're pretty much spot on. To my understanding, "reversal" of diabetes is basically the act of having returned to a state of health where you could no longer be considered from a diagnostic perspective to be diabetic.

The term "reversal" is used instead of "cure", as to have "cured" something implies that you won't/can't get it back again, which of course we know doesn't apply to diabetes. But "reversal" is still better than "remission", which implies that you will always carry the condition once you have it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-21, 04:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
The term "reversal" is used instead of "cure", as to have "cured" something implies that you won't/can't get it back again, which of course we know doesn't apply to diabetes. But "reversal" is still better than "remission", which implies that you will always carry the condition once you have it.

I refer to my autoimmune condition as being in remission, which I understand is more accurate. If I eat the way I used to, it will come back. So it's certainly not cured, and I can understand the use of the word "reversal" because I've returned to a better state of health.

But isn't that the same thing? In both uses of the word, the bad diet that created the condition will cause the symptoms to return.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-21, 08:29

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

A TV commercial said
You don't have a "metabolic disease"
you have "insulin resistance"

What?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-21, 09:21

BF:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I refer to my autoimmune condition as being in remission, which I understand is more accurate. If I eat the way I used to, it will come back. So it's certainly not cured, and I can understand the use of the word "reversal" because I've returned to a better state of health.

But isn't that the same thing? In both uses of the word, the bad diet that created the condition will cause the symptoms to return.

Good observations. I think the terms reversal and remission are close but one could differentiate with the condition that reversal is done by a known protocol (e.g., a way of eating) where the condition goes away due to the protocol followed. Remission may be better described as the symptoms of the condition go away, but it's not definitively known whether or why they'll return. My own interpretation is that "remission" is most commonly used with a disease like cancer, which may come back for no known reason, where I tend to apply "reversal" to something like T2D where one can successfully eliminate the conditions and high blood glucose through diet and exercise. T2D can easily come back if the protocol reversing it is no longer followed.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-21, 09:41

BF:

I would need to see some real data to back up the claim that the diabetes is "reversed" and not simply in "remission" or even just simply being managed. If diabetes is characterized by the pancreas' ability to produce insulin being diminished, has the pancreas' ability to produce insulin been restored? Or are we just living a lifestyle that is compatible with the pancreas' still-diminished ability? If the latter, then we are simply managing the disease, but we still have it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-21, 01:57

BF:

There's another way of looking at it, where diabetes is not a "disease" but one symptom of what we might call Induced Metabolic Syndrome. Under such a theory, processed carbohydrates are a poison which disrupts the body's functioning.

By removing this poison, the body regains function, and the symptoms go away.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-21, 03:17

BF:

But DOES the body "regain" function?

Before I developed diabetes, if I ate a certain amount of carbs my blood sugar would rise a certain amount, namely an amount that was normal for a person that didn't have diabetes. After I developed diabetes, if I eat that same amount of carbs my blood sugar will rise to levels way, way higher than that. which was a normal. In order to claim that "removing that poison" has "reversed" my diabetes, my condition must return to a state in which if I do consume that same level of carbs my sugars will now rise to a level much more consistent with what they would have before I developed the diabetes. If they instead still rise to similar stratospheric heights, then I still have diabetes and avoiding the "poison" is merely being effective at managing the impact of the disease.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-21, 07:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

I think part of the problem with determining the correct word to use is that we tend to think of diabetes and other diseases as things we possess rather than processes the body undergoes given certain causes and conditions.These causes and conditions are similar but not identical for every individual body and are comprised of internal conditions ( eg genetics) and external conditions (eg foods consumed). Some of these causes and conditions we can control like what food we consume, how much we consume, when we consume them and some we don't control like our genes. What is important is to understand the processes involved in the development of diabetes and what we can change in order for the diabetic process not to occur or continue to occur in any given body. A single word can never reflect the complexity of the processes involved in the evolution and diminution of this disease in each and every individual but without language we can't communicate so we search for words that best describe what is happening but can never precisely reflect the complexity of what is occurring. In other words don't confuse the word for the process. Words are necessary simplifications that allow us to communicate but often simplify what is truly going on as well as the differences that exist among people.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-21, 07:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
But DOES the body "regain" function?

Before I developed diabetes, if I ate a certain amount of carbs my blood sugar would rise a certain amount, namely an amount that was normal for a person that didn't have diabetes. After I developed diabetes, if I eat that same amount of carbs my blood sugar will rise to levels way, way higher than that.

Perhaps we are now talking about a function of insulin sensitivity? Which takes time to develop... and time to return to a "normal" baseline. It's not just how much insulin the pancreas can make. It's also how much the body needs to handle the blood sugar.

In that case, it is a remission/reversal situation in that we've brought the metabolic disorder under control. Much about the body heals as a result.

from Diet Doctor:

Quote:
The unrecognized second phase of developing type 2 diabetes

Type 2 diabetes actually happens in two phases. The first phase, which lasts approximately 10-15 years shows a slow increase in insulin resistance. However, the body compensates by increasing insulin levels. This keeps blood glucose relatively normal.

But something suddenly changes after approximately a decade of rising insulin resistance. Hyperinsulinemia can no longer keep up with the pace of insulin resistance. Pancreatic beta cells, responsible for insulin production are unable to keep up. As this compensatory mechanism fails, the blood glucose rises quickly. It takes only two years or so before full-blown type 2 diabetes is diagnosed.

Progressive3Beta cell production peaks and eventually starts to fall. The progressive decline in insulin production is often called beta cell dysfunction or sometimes pancreatic burnout. But what caused this burnout?

One thought is that hyperglycemia destroys the beta cells. But there’s an obvious problem. During the development of type 2 diabetes, blood glucose stays relatively controlled. Not until after beta cell dysfunction develops does the glucose go way up. The beta cell dysfunction caused the high blood sugars, not the other way around.

So, here’s the million-dollar question. What causes the beta cell dysfunction in the first place? Recent research has identified the likely culprit. Fatty liver and fatty muscles produced the increased insulin resistance. Fatty pancreas creates the beta cell dysfunction. The pancreas is clogged with fat.

This is by Dr. Fung, who included an article about "fatty pancreas." Which can be reversed.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-21, 09:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I think part of the problem with determining the correct word to use is that we tend to think of diabetes and other diseases as things we possess rather than processes the body undergoes given certain causes and conditions. . . . A single word can never reflect the complexity of the processes involved in the evolution and diminution of this disease in each and every individual but without language we can't communicate so we search for words that best describe what is happening but can never precisely reflect the complexity of what is occurring. In other words don't confuse the word for the process. Words are necessary simplifications that allow us to communicate but often simplify what is truly going on as well as the differences that exist among people.

Important points here. Semantic noise is the inability to use language (words) to fully describe what is going on or what one feels. Language has always been an imperfect way to describe things. I know I can eliminate symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome which include symptoms associated with T2D by following a lifestyle that includes changes in eating, activity, and sleep, restoration. When I can do this, I don't care whether it's called reversal or remission, all I know is that I can eliminate unhealthy symptoms. I also know that when I stop following the lifestyle changes that brought me health, it can all go away, and likely more quickly than the time taken to initially develop those symptoms.