Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-21, 09:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Motivations for avoiding meat

I found this kind of interesting:

Quote:
Both vegetarians and non-vegetarians are motivated to adopt (or to consider adopting) a plant-based diet for health reasons. However, vegetarians are more strongly motivated to pursue a plant-based diet for animal rights and environmental reasons than non-vegetarians. These findings come from a study published in the journal Collabra: Psychology.

What struck me, of course, was the fact that the motivations of health, animal rights, and environmental reasons... are all wrong.

Health usually suffers without at least dairy, fish, or eggs. Animal rights are being ignored while the chirpy people at the health food store just wait for everyone to go vegan. And environmentally, monoculture with land clearance and pesticide/herbicide use is NOT a recipe for anything but disaster.

Quote:
For example, it would be interesting to consider to what extent health motivations actually push people to adopt a plant-based diet, given that both vegetarians and non-vegetarians embraced this motive. “Questions remain open as to why many people who acknowledge the health benefits of vegetarian diets continue to eat meat, and why people who become vegetarian for health reasons tend not to stick to the diet…” Hopwood and team discuss.

Vegetarians and non-vegetarians embrace different motives for adopting a plant-based diet

My italics. I guess some of us still have survival instincts
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-21, 07:54

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Plant based diet is being pushed by practically everyone, with the claims that it's better for the environment, better for your health, blah,blah,blah.

[sarcasm]
How in the world did humanity survive before we were told exactly how we should eat?

For eons, there was no one telling them that they needed 35 g of fiber daily. They had no one telling them to eat a rainbow of a dozen servings of different colored vegetables and fruits each day. No one even told them they'd suffer less depression if they ate at least 415 g of fruits and vegetables daily!!!

They didn't have anyone showing them colorful pyramid diagrams that explained how to prioritize the types of foods they ate, and how many servings of each food they needed each day. They didn't have anyone giving them a plate that showed exactly how much of the plate should be taken up by exactly which types of food!

Oh, the poor humans -they had no one telling them that all animal products were deadly, especially animal fats, to be avoided at all costs.

Pollution was obviously at deadly levels before we learned that it's cow farts that cause all the pollution! Oh, the poor people who didn't know these things, and persisted in eating eggs, meat -and worst of all BUTTER and BACON anyway!

Even our grandparents were so sickly that nearly everyone died young due to insufficient legumes, polyunsaturated vegetable oils, plant based "milks", and leafy greens in their diets every single day, and those few who somehow survived through puberty, in spite of the animal products in their diets - well, they obviously suffered insurmountable infertility, leading to the decimation of the population worldwide, so that none of us were ever born.

[/sarcasm]

Yeah, not exactly the way things happened, is it?

It defies logic to even begin to believe that somehow in the last 50 years, the very foods that were the mainstays of the human diet suddenly became deadly to humans, and the foods that were only eaten when readily available in season, or were survival foods during times of famine should actually be the mainstays of our diet.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-13-21, 10:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
It defies logic to even begin to believe that somehow in the last 50 years, the very foods that were the mainstays of the human diet suddenly became deadly to humans, and the foods that were only eaten when readily available in season, or were survival foods during times of famine should actually be the mainstays of our diet.
Diet for a Small Planet: 50th Anniversary Edition by by Frances Moore Lappé is being released this Fall. I actually own the original and will not be buying the new one. "Here again, is the extraordinary bestselling book that taught America the social and personal significance of a new way of eating—one that remains a complete guide for eating well in the new millennium." No mention of health.

If only I had continued to follow Atkins in my Hippie days, instead of diving into vegetarianism, I probably would never have become so inflamed and hippy. Despite combining foods carefully as Lappé instructed, I felt weak and tired all the time, and eventually gave it up. In the 1990s I tried it again, but with careful journaling. Weak & tired again. Someone on the McDougall board suggested that I try Protein Power instead and the rest is history; I only wish it had happened 30 years earlier. In the early 2000s I carefully did some elimination diets and found that my biggest problems were grains, legumes & dairy proteins, which had provided all of my protein and most of my food during my vegetarian days. No wonder it ruined my health. In retrospect I've calculated that for me, even with careful protein combining, my body was only able to use ~50% of the plant protein so my nails, hair & muscles were being consumed to provide enough to keep me going, weakly.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Jun-13-21 at 10:54.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-21, 01:29

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I've never been a vegetarian although I do love most vegetables. However, from birth I was always sensitive to dairy and in my 50's I finally learned that was because I'm casein sensitive. I also found out I'm gluten sensitive and most likely have celiac disease like my mother. (I have the gene). Those two conditions can really damage your gut. My life was one of serious digestive upsets from dairy, gluten, and finally, sugar.

When I did my first Atkins diet in 2003, it was a revelation because for the first time I felt fantastic and had no digestive upsets at all for the first time in my life. Eggs, fats, meat, green leafy veggies....my body runs best on those kinds of foods. It was on Atkins that I found out that a life without most dairy, legumes, corn, many vegetables such as the starches, fruit, sugar, wheat and other grains....that diet made such a difference in how I felt. Limited foods to be sure, but I've found that eating this way is better than eating those foods and suffering all the time from them.

I can't imagine being a vegetarian or vegan because so many of foods on those diets would give me digestive trouble....beans, certain vegetables, corn, dairy. I'd be a mess. I thrive on meat and no "expert" will convince me otherwise. Sorry about that, meat haters.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-21, 07:03

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM

I can't imagine being a vegetarian or vegan because so many of foods on those diets would give me digestive trouble....beans, certain vegetables, corn, dairy. I'd be a mess. I thrive on meat and no "expert" will convince me otherwise. Sorry about that, meat haters.

Same here. Meat, fish and low carb veggies. No dairy, eggs, grains, or legumes. I can’t eat chicken either. It might be restrictive but it keeps my gut happy. If I was required to eat vegan or vegetarian I would once again be too sick to leave the house.