Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: No plan yet
Stats: 195/195/130 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hello

It is a new year and I have jumped on the "lose weight" train. I joined a gym and I have been going for a few weeks. I realized that I have to change my eating too, if not for weight loss at least for health. Mentally, I am not ready for extreme low carb. I am planning to start with a moderate amount. It's a beginning and I figure it has to be better than what I am eating right now (You have no idea!!)

I look forward to learning more here on this forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 05:40

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Welcome, this is a great site with an incredible amount of information. It is probably easiest if you decide which approach you want to take (beyond the choice of moderate carb), it is so helpful to have a tried and tested guide in book(s), recipes for that plan, and a forum here with others on that specific plan.

If not, browse each until you see the kind of information you are looking for. Do check out the cooking/recipe forums - many great ideas there.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 09:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
I figure it has to be better than what I am eating right now (You have no idea!!)

Rofl, oh, you are not alone !!

What is keeping you from going for total health ...if I might ask????

Lack of recipes ? Afraid you will miss a favorite food? Endless recipes here and online to try out. Abd as for favorites, when you go very low carb those favorites loose their power.

Welcome! Do check out a challenge abd start a journal.... lots of helpful support here.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 10:59

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinaK
...I figure it has to be better than what I am eating right now (You have no idea!!

I think most of us have an idea Welcome!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 12:36

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome, Kina.

I think I know what you mean about not being mentally ready for something. I was the opposite to you though, I dove right into low carb but even now, I still don't quite feel ready for a regular gym habit. Weird, huh?

When it comes to the food front though, I've found this forum to be a wonderful source of support these last few years. No reason why it can't be the same for you as well.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: No plan yet
Stats: 195/195/130 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks everyone. I read Protein Power, but I admit that the thought of dropping to 30 carbs scares me. I figured that I could slowly work my way there if I need to. I will look around at the different plans here. Maybe there is something else that won't scare me so much.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 16:10
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Low Carb eating is about chemistry. Body chemistry that takes place, when the number drops to the one which works inside your body, and removes hunger. Imagine eating real food until you're full. Imagine what it's like to forget to eat because you're just not hungry.

For many of us, eating more than, say, 20 or 30 gms of carbs results in hunger. We don't like that because it means that food controls us, not the other way around.

I'm sure that you'll find the best way.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 17:29

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Hey Kina,

Welcome to the forum, it has been a great resource for me over the last couple of years.

I am one that would be classified as moderate carb. I consume 50g-80g a day and have successfully but slowly lost weight over the last 21 months.

Good luck with your journey and discovering what suits you
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 22:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinaK
Thanks everyone. I read Protein Power, but I admit that the thought of dropping to 30 carbs scares me. I figured that I could slowly work my way there if I need to. I will look around at the different plans here. Maybe there is something else that won't scare me so much.

Love PP. Read it cover to cover. Tried it, went back to DANDR.Good points like moderate protein consumption, and they more overweight, the more protein needed. Good online resources are available, too.

30 carbs.

8 carbs in one cup summer squash
7 carbs in one cup green beans

You get a lot of bang for buck with nonstarchy vegies..... and above is just a few of the options.......olives, celery, spinach, bibb lettuce, parsley, bamboo shoots,radishes......the list is long.

Low carb also Includes using cream, cheese, eggs.

I found a recipe for red thai curry when I realized the brand name jarred option was filled with added sugar. The homemade version tasted much fresher and took only ten minutes using a food processor.

Anyway... my point is, by eating nonstarchy vegies you can eat alot for 30 carbs.

Just food for thought.... no pressure......

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Feb-06-20 at 22:42.