Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 10:40

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default sauna, Whole-Body Hyperthermia, hyperthermic conditioning,

starting a new sauna thread:

Hyperthermic Conditioning for Hypertrophy, Endurance, and Neurogenesis 8-10-2014 youtube

Dr. Rhonda Patrick discusses how conditioning the body to heat stress through sauna use, called "hyperthermic conditioning" causes adaptations that increase athletic endurance (by increasing plasma volume and blood flow to heart and muscles) and muscle mass (by boosting levels of heat shock proteins and growth hormone). She also discusses the profound effects of hyperthermic conditioning on the brain including cognitive function.

Rhonda Patrick: Nutrigenomics, Epigenetics, and Stress Tolerance 4-27-2015 youtube

Our genes influence the way we absorb and metabolize micronutrients. Nutrigenomics looks at the influence genetic variation has over micronutrient absorption/metabolism and the biological consequences of this dynamic relationship. Our diet also influences which of these genes are turned on or off! Emerging evidence in the field of epigenetics has demonstrated that not only can we change the expression of our own genes within our own lifetime; sometimes these changes are heritable and affect our children and grandchildren. In this talk we’ll be exploring the intersection between genetics, nutrition, and environment: how your diet, micronutrients, exercise, heat stress, and sleep can change the expression of your genes and how this has profound effects on the way your body functions and ages.

Rhonda Perciavalle Patrick, Ph.D. is an assistant scientist at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute working with Dr. Bruce Ames. She investigates the effects of micronutrient (vitamins and minerals) deficiencies on metabolism, inflammation, DNA damage, and aging in people. She also researches the role of vitamin D in brain function and dysfunction.

In addition to Rhonda’s active role as a researcher, she also functions as a science communicator for a broad lay audience via her web and video presence found at FoundMyFitness.com. She is passionate about disseminating health-related information in a way that the general public can easily understand. She is a frequent speaker and writer on topics ranging from general health and wellness, to diet and aging, to vitamins and their effects. It is Rhonda’s goal to challenge the status quo and encourage the wider public to think about health and longevity using a proactive, preventative approach.

Rhonda earned her Ph.D. in biomedical science from the University of Tennessee and performed her graduate research work at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. She also has a Bachelor’s of Science degree in biochemistry/chemistry from the University of California, San Diego. She has done extensive research on aging, cancer and nutrition, and metabolism.

Instagram post re: saunas.

I love heat stress! Those of you that have followed me a while know that I love the sauna and have talked quite in depth about the various health benefits of using the sauna ranging from maintaining muscle mass with age to reducing cardiovascular disease and even Alzheimer's disease. I have also talked about the benefits on the brain...which is what got me interested in using the sauna initially.

I came across a study (hat tip to ~mdpatrick) where a single session of whole-body hyperthermia (similar to the sauna) produced a significant antidepressant effect apparent within a week of treatment that persisted for 6 weeks after treatment in people with major depressive disorder. The sauna also reduced biomarkers of inflammation. I'm excited to say that I just interviewed the senior author of this study...a killer 2-hour podcast coming soon where we discuss all the details. According to him, he thinks similar effects can be had from a sauna, hot bath, hot yoga, and steam shower.
Link to study:

Whole-Body Hyperthermia for the Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder: A Randomized Clinical Trial. 8-1-2016

and

Whole-Body Hyperthermia for the Treatment of Major Depressive Disorder
A Randomized Clinical Trial

Whole-Body Hyperthermia

Whole-body hyperthermia, also known as passive fever therapy, is an intensive treatment method, which aims to increase the body temperature for one to two hours, by 38 to 39.8 degrees, depending on the type of disease and doctor’s recommendation. The treatment generally lasts 3-4 hours, including preparation and rest afterwards.
Sponsored Links