Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 17:46
Registered Member

Plan: ---
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress:

Hello everyone - finally a minute to check in

Jas - congrats on your weight loss. You don't need to worry where you lost it cuz I think I found it

Sue - I love Survivor and am impatiently waiting for Sept. 15. When you go to Red Deer there is a low carb store on Gaetz Ave. - south side. I don't know the name but coming from the north end it would be on your right hand side and somewhere around 34 St. I think. The farmer's market in Red Deer is supposed to be awesome - haven't been yet but will one of these days.

Jennilyn - I'm finding it hard not to gain weight if I go above 25 grams of carbs a day. I'm really getting tired of tuna and was going to go back on the meat/eggs thing but just can't face it

Hi carrot-top - hope all is well out your way.

We're going out to friends for dinner tomorrow night - they are having a huge fish dinner - salmon and halibut. I'm going to pig out on the fish and hopefully they won't notice that I'm declining on the rice or potatoes. Don't really know what to say to decline gracefully - any suggestion?????

Take care - have a great night everyone.

dashykathy
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 08:16

Plan: SB
Stats: 205/176/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Morning everyone! It's Thursday - and closer to the weekend, but why does a short week always feel so much longer than a regular week??!!

Kathy - enjoy your fish dinner tonight - I love halibut and I could happily just eat that on my plate because I love it so much!! Just pile your plate with fish & veggies and say you don't have room for anything else.

Here's the recipe for George Stella's Blueberry Pancakes (I really hope it's OK to post these here!)

Blueberry Pancakes

2 large eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
¼ cup water
1 tsp. SF vanilla extract
½ cup soy flour
2 Tbsp. Splenda
1 Tbsp. wheat or oat bran
¼ tsp. baking powder
½ cup fresh blueberries

Grease griddle and preheat until medium hot. Mix all ingredients except the blueberries in a blender or food processor for about 15 seconds. Stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula, then mix for another 15 seconds until well blended.
Pour approx. 12 little cakes onto the hot griddle (they should be about the size of the bottom of a soda can). Wait for the pancakes to bubble, then sprinkle each with a few blueberries. Cook for a little longer, then flip with a spatula and cook for a few more minutes, until both sides of the pancakes are lightly browned. Serve hot with melted butter or top with a dollop of Whipped Cream.

Yield – 4 servings
Net carbs – 4g per serving

I ate the first 3 hot off the griddle with just a spread of butter, but the rest I ate as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack just cold from the fridge. Not sure if I used more than 1/2 cup of the blueberries though - forgot to measure those and just sprinkled about 5-6 per pancake. They are very delicate in texture and very yummy. I will definitely be making these again and again. If you try them, please let me know how you like or dislike them.

I certainly want to stop at the lo-carb store in Red Deer when we go. It's called Hiway to Health and want to see what they have. I would like more variety in my SF syrups. But my sis wants to wait & see what the weather is going to be like down in Red Deer - she doesn't want to go to the Farmer's Market if it's raining - all the stalls won't be filled then. I sure hope we go though.

Well, best get to it here at the office. Have a great day everyone!!!

Sue
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 10:49

Stats: 142/135/120 Female 5:3
BF:
Progress:

Hello ladies.....yes Sue, why does a short week seem longer....

DK - glad you checked - was getting worried! Sue's idea is good about filling your plate up. DH and I love salmon and halibut too - enjoy girl!

Sue - thanks for the recipe - will try it sometime - but for now I am going very low cal - yes, still awaiting for the package - sure hope it comes today or tomorrow -

Morning Jennilyn & Carot-top - bbl
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/172/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 58%

We're going out to friends for dinner tomorrow night - they are having a huge fish dinner - salmon and halibut. I'm going to pig out on the fish and hopefully they won't notice that I'm declining on the rice or potatoes. Don't really know what to say to decline gracefully - any suggestion?????

If I am worried that I may make the hostess feel bad because they did know I was eating low carb, I'll say something like; 'I LOVE fish', or 'I'm stocking up on proteins... I need all the brain food I can get!' LOL

Jennilyn
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 05:31

Stats: 260/223/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 34%

Well I am depressed. I finally got the nerve to step on the scale and I gained 20 lbs since my surgery. No wonder I feel like a blimp.At least now I have a benchmark to see how induction is going. I was too scared to check before. My husband has already lost 6 lbs since I went on induction (1 week). There is something not fair about that. I know that I am not drinking enough water, but being a teacher, you can't always get out to go to the bathroom when you need to.
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 08:32

BF:
Progress:

Hey Carrot-top – I hear you on men losing weight faster! My hubby loses a lot quicker than me too and he still eats all the potatoes & pasta. Of course, getting over 50 does not help as he is 10 yrs younger than me!

Jennilyn – Enjoy your dinner. Just tell the hostess that you have not had "fish" for a long time and are really craving it – ask her for her recipe!!!!

DK - Hey are you and Jennilyn both going to the same dinner?

Sue – Is your grandson coming over this weekend? It is supposed to rain all weekend so I guess there will be no yard work. I have a lot to do in my basement and may be I will get that done because of the rain!

WELL I SPENT OVER AN HOUR YESTERDAY TRYING TO TRACK THE DARN PACKAGE THROUGH UPS!!! STILL NO PACKAGE - I AM SO ANGRY!!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 10:20

BF:

Carrot-top - hang in there! Your body is probably adjusting to your recent surgery - it's a slow process losing weight (don't I know it!!) we just have to keep at it (at least that's my outlook!). The support from this site sure helps too!!

Unfortunately for me, no visiting with the grandson this weekend - sis & I are going down to Red Deer tomorrow morning to visit our sister & BIL. We'll stay overnight and then come back sometime on Sunday. We don't get to see each other very often, and with the gas prices continually rising, I thought now would be a good time to go. Hopefully, I won't be tempted too badly down there with the wrong foods. We're taking a ham for dinner on Saturday night - I'll just have to take my own LC snacks because we'll be watching the movie Hitch on Saturday night as well. (love that movie!!) I also want to stop in at the Hiway to Health store down there and pick up some new LC items.

I think I did my work too well the last couple of days, because there's not much for me to do around here today! That's a good thing though, because all the bosses are out of town and I've got a tower of filing to get done - should make for a nice, clean desk at 4:30pm today!!

Enjoy your weekends, all - it's sounding like it's gonna be a wet one!

Sue
  #143   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 10:07

BF:
Progress:

Morning all! How was everyone's weekend? Mine was busy and today I start my new diet - well, as soon as the package comes. It is supposed to be delivered today! So of course, I ate everything I wanted over the weekend - wrong attitude!

Jennilyn & DK - how was the suppers?

Carrot-top & Sue - morning!!!!

BBL when everyone checks in!
  #144   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 12:28

BF:

Morning......or should I say Afternoon! Busy here at work today - what's new, eh??

Had a good weekend in Red Deer with my sister & BIL. Went to the Hiway to Health store and was disappointed because there wasn't a whole lot of LC items. I much prefer the Low Carb Gallery here in the city on 51 Ave.

I gained back 1 pound because of my eating over the weekend, so must work extra hard this week to lose it and possibly another one as well. I've decided to set a new goal - I want to be 160 by my birthday this year (late Nov.) and I'll go on record to say that I should be able to accomplish this! It's only 9 pounds and it's something that I really, really want!!

Hope you get your delivery today, Jas - and good luck with the new plan. Keep us posted on your progress, please.

TTFN........Sue
  #145   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 16:02

BF:
Progress:

Okay the package is here - I am off to pick it up.....my goal is to do this faithfully for a month which hopefully will give shrink my tummy and by the end of this, I will hopefully have developed better eating habits and more portion control. Wish me luck ladies!

See you all tomorrow.
  #146   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 20:04

Stats: 260/223/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hey Sue,
Low Carb Gallery is my favorite too. Whenever I go home to Edmonchuck ;o) I stop there and stock up (at least $100 a visit). Post surgery check up in Calgary in a couple of weeks to I will stock up at diabetic Depot there this time.
Jennilynn - how was the BBQ? What did you end up eating?
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 08:14

BF:

Good luck, Jas with the Medifast! What's in the package - is it shakes that you drink for a meal? I've heard of it but don't know much about it - suppose I could look it up on the internet, but that's too much like work!!

Carrot-top, I can relate to the $100 drop when shopping at the Low Carb Gallery - I'm thinking of heading back there on Saturday to pick up things. I think it might be time to try some new SF syrups and to see what other things they have in stock.

Sue
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 12:08

BF:
Progress:

Sue - Yes, it is shakes, etc. The plan is called 5 in 1 whereby you drink/eat 5 pre-planned shakes/soups/bar, etc. I had for breakfast 1 dutch choc. shake, then a vanilla shake at 11 and at 1, I will have my soup in a cup of water, then sometime later my oatmeal package (which I probably should have had for breakfast but ran out of time) and then a bar before I give blood at 4:30 and for supper I will eat the 1 lean meal which consists of 5 oz. of lean meat and a salad of 2 cups.

So basically, you are eating a lot but smaller portions and everything is calculated for you carbs & calories. I like that and I am hoping it will form proper habits.

So, am I hungry right now - not in the least!

My scale read 134 this a.m. but at the doctor's, it would be more like 140 - yuk!!! My goal is to lose 3 lbs. a week - they say anywhere from 2 to 5 a week - mostly 5 for men!!!!

I did not get any workout done yesterday as I was cutting lawn but tonight, I am going to get back into the routine of doing my bowflex 20 min.

It cost me $315 or something like that Canadian but I had one week free. Can I afford it every month - NO but I am hoping it will give me some incentive when I start seeing the inches fall off!

As you ladies said, it is easy to drop $100 + at a low carb too.

I am off to get the truck washed, check mail and buy gas.....an expensive lunch hour!
  #149   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 09:37

BF:
Progress:

Where is everybody? Well no loss after one day of absolutely clean dieting. Tonight Uncle is coming to town and wants to take us out for supper.....why is it when you get serious, you get all these invites!

At any rate will stick to plan by eating small portion and grilled fish!

I also gave blood yesterday so did not have time to exercise. Long line ups!!

How is everyone else?
  #150   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 08:36

BF:

Just checking in quickly to say HI

I had the worst day yesterday - very busy & stressed at work - even got a visual migraine (not fun at all when you're trying to get things done!), so I treated myself last night after work. Left my phone at home (answered too many calls all day at work) and went shopping! I was just wandering & looking and found a pair of jeans at Zellers that I thought were on sale for $15.00 (that's what the sale sticker said) but when she rang them thru at the till, they cost me $7!! Soooo, I went looking for a new top to go with my new jeans. I ended up at Reitmans and spent $120 - everything I tried on fit!! I went home with 2 shirts, the jeans, a pair of black slacks and a pair of dark brown cords (I've never had a pair of cords in my entire life!!). Everything was a size 16 except for 1 of the shirts - its a 14!! I think I was 12 years old when I was a size 14!! I gotta tell you though, with having no phone to ring in my ear and buying new clothes that fit, it sure made my mood change for the better!!

Not sure what my weight is because I've decided not to step on the scale for a few days - just a bit less pressure on me in my already stressed work life!

Well, enjoy your day - good luck with your dinner out tonight Jas - you can't go wrong if you stick with veggies & meat or fish. For me tonight it's pork chops and Survivor!!!

Sue