Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 07:46

Plan: turtle style atkins
Stats: 202/166.4/145 Female 63 inches
BF:35.8%/29.5%/25.7%
Progress: 62%
Default BMI milestone

Since I share my groanings and moanings so readily with ya'll, I want to share a moment of joy as well!!!

The milestone that I want to share is that my BMI is now below 30! 29.7 to be exact this morning, but who is counting - MEEEEE!!!

Been tracking cals, carbs, fiber, fat, protien, etc. this past week - which I absolutely LOATHE to do BUT... I have broken this stall and have lost several pounds, so hey, I guess I will continue to do that! Been keeping my total net carbs less than 25, calories vary a lot ~ 1400-1700, trying to increase the fiber without increasing the total carb count has been tough! Thank God for avocados!!!

I am coming up on the year anniversary of this WOE (this last time around) the end of May. I am 34.6# down, so turtle-LC is definitely the definition that defines me, but at least I have a feeling that I can keep this WOE as a lifestyle the way I've gone about it this time! Man I feel like a million dollars this morning!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 08:06

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

awesome, good job
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 08:10

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:

Congratulations! I also went from being obese to merely overweight just a few days ago. It feels great. Good luck on the next 20 pounds.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 08:47
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

#5   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 09:44

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/227/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know this sounds stupid but can you tell me how and why avacados are supposed to be so good for me? I haven't tried any yet....I'm having a "lack of fiber" issue and my weight is staying the same...so could adding avacado help the bathroom issue and help with weight loss? How do you eat the avacado? in a salad? Thanks for any insight you guys can give me!!! Only been doing this for a few months, lost 30, now STUCK!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 21:10

AJewett - You might be asking the wrong person about bathroom issues! You are about to get TMI!!! I have a tough time with that when I eat low carb, esp after having kids and the "problems" that come with pregnancy and delivery! Not only that, but like I said in the original post, I am a TURTLE when it comes to wt loss! I have lost 35 #, yes, but it has taken me a full year. Perserverence through the stalls can be a HUGE mind game with me!

Things I have done with BR issues:
I have added coconut oil 1 tbsp every morning mixed (somewhat - doesn't really mix! LOL!) in warm tea and 1-2 tsp of Miralax and 2 tsp Benefiber. I still am not a "regular" person, but at least it maintains a softness I can handle every 3 or so days! If it gets terrible, I add a pericolace (senna), but I know a lot of people on the forum are real naturalists, so if that is your route, use the search function and you will probably find a plethora of ideas!

I have a 9 yo son with chronic constipation (since birth!), so anything high in fiber is a definite plus in our books. Our goal for him is 20 grams of fiber/day split between bread, fruit, and veggies. Avocados are high in good fat (yeah for me especially!) and in fiber (11-12 grams each - yeah for both of us!), so we split one almost every day (~6 gms each). They are rather expensive where we live so when Dillons have them on sale, we stock up!

If you aren't familiar with them, start by FEELING them at the grocery store. They should be slightly soft, but not mushy, and not hard/firm. They keep for a week or so in the veg drawer of the fridge if you don't buy them overripe. If they aren't ripe enough when you get them, leave them on the counter for a few days and they will soften up.

We eat them:
cubed on salads,
sliced in lettuce wraps (mayo, deli meat, avocados wrapped in lettuce),
plain slices as a side,
son eats them on sandwiches,
and my son's all time favorite is "poopy dip" - basically guacamole dip - mix 1/2 avocado and 1/2 homemade salsa. He eats his with a handfull of cornchips (more fiber) while I put my poopy dip on top of taco meat or LC enchilada. My MIL adds salt to this dip, but I think there is plenty of salt in my salsa, so I skip that. My sister uses celery with this for the crunch...

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-04-12, 06:09

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/227/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

maryb1, thank you so much for the info. I took miralax last night and NOTHING happened. I've never gone this long before...it's been 4 days and I'm fairly miserable. I've eaten on plan all week nad I drink at leat 96 ounces of water a day so I'm not sure what the "hold up" is. I will get some avacado this weekend and try it out. I'm about ready to get some correctal!!! I can't take it anymore!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-04-12, 10:10

Plan: HF/LC Primal
Stats: 235/134/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Wow! Under 30...you're my hero I can't remember the last time my BMI was below 30.
Good for you!
*Happy dances*
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-05-12, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajewett07
maryb1, thank you so much for the info. I took miralax last night and NOTHING happened. I've never gone this long before...it's been 4 days and I'm fairly miserable. I've eaten on plan all week nad I drink at leat 96 ounces of water a day so I'm not sure what the "hold up" is. I will get some avacado this weekend and try it out. I'm about ready to get some correctal!!! I can't take it anymore!!!!

Miralax isn't a stimulant, just osmotic, meaning it will pull water in to help make the BM softer. SOOOO, you'll have to use it for a few days for that to really make a difference. But if you are going to be irregular, it is easy to do if it is soft when it finally does arrive!!!

And seriously - use the search function on this website to find out what everyone else is doing - constipation is a common complaint with this WOE.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-05-12, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglgrl
Wow! Under 30...you're my hero I can't remember the last time my BMI was below 30.
Good for you!
*Happy dances*

Thanks!! I can remember for me - it was before I had kids and my oldest is 9 1/2 and I was pregnant for 9 months, so roughly a decade ago!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 14:10

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Congrats... on my way there

2 more lbs will put me at 29.95 BMI!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 09:19

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"