Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Nuts, nut butters and other roads to perdition

Why is it that I can't have "ONE" serving of nuts? Why can't I put the spoon down when I get a taste of almond butter (the fresh kind, the one you get to make out of the machine at the HFS.....yummm!)?
I have to get this things out of my kitchen if I want to be succesful at this WOE.
What are your LC NO-NO foods, those that once you get one taste you can't stop?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/184/129 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mine are Almonds, those evil, evil, almonds. cheese is up there on the list.
Portion control is the key I guess I just have to keep saying that to myself until I can master it
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 13:20

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

Macademia nuts
Roasted Almonds
Chapmans' Maple Walnut SF ice cream

I haven't tried the almond butter yet....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 14:39

Plan: just eating junk food!JK
Stats: ???/105/??? Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

hmm i used to have a problem with portion control with peanut butter
and nuts. but the trick that worked for me is not to eat the peanut butter
directly out of the jar! i would take two tablespoons of peanut butter
on a small plate and i would put the jar back inside the fridge! same thing
goes with the nuts, i would put an oz of walnuts or peanuts in a small
snack bag and i would put the whole bag of nuts back into the pantry where
i cant see it anymore. after i eat a serving i dont feel the urge to have some
more!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:02
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The nut butters can be hard for me at times, but I resist. When I first started I found I couldn't have cream. I would not really be hungry just kind of, so I would whip up some cream with DaVincci. As soon as I ate it I was severly craving more and felt starving. Now I know it's a no-no unless it's like a very small splash in coffee, or used in cooking. I buy half and half these days anyway as I am upping carbs and lowering fat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:34
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

Roasted salted nuts are a danger food for me. Maybe it's the salt? not sure. Raw natural nuts don't pose the same problem .. even if I roast 'em myself, I'm still satisfied with just a small handful, which is roughly an ounce or so. Natural nut butters (including pb) aren't a problem either .. 2 Tbsp is plenty.

Cheese is my current downfall Very hard to exert portion control.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

re - nut butters, including peanut butter ... try "cutting" them with real butter. Mix 2 Tbsp of the nut butter with 1 Tbsp soft dairy butter, or even a 50:50 mix will still give you the rich nutty taste you crave, but without extra carbs. Plus can help to boost your fat intake.

Just an idea ..

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I used to get way out of control when I bought peanut butter, mac nuts or almonds. I've been eating them for months, once they lost their forbidden status I lost interest in them. I carry almonds around with me in case I get hungry, I eat 12 at a time and can then wait a few hours to eat.

My out of control foods are diet sodas, if their around I will drink them and lowcarb bars. As soon as I have one I "have to have another".
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 17:41
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I only have a problem with portion size of sunflower seeds. I love them and will not allow myself to eat them. I think it might be the salt, but I turn into a cow grazing, I can have a 5lb bag of those and just sit there chewing and chewing making a mess of the shells. I become zombie-like with them.

I am still on induction, so I cant have nuts yet, but what I like to do is get raw almonds and soak them in water. I get a few packs, and when I am in the mood I grab 1-6 of them and walk away. I dont do that too frequently, but its good for just a little munching, and they last for days there with me.

I dont like almond butter. I used to try and force myself to eat almond butter on celery. Was never my thing. I find that I like cheese too much.

Maybe because I deprived myself from real cheese for so long, I feel like now I am making up for it. I have to severely try and limit my intake of it.

One of the things I started doing is buying colby-jack in 1oz slices individually wrapped, so I can take 1 pack and I know exactly how much I am eating and no more. That way I am not tempted to shave off pieces 'to try and even it out' lol
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 09:39

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

Almond butter is definitely hard for me to portion control. Interestingly enough... once I got a taste of almond butter... I find I am NOT INTERESTED in peanut butter anymore! I really don't like it much now... and I used to have portion control problems with it!

Cream is another problem food for me... a previous poster described it well. Once I have some... I want more more more! I love the taste of cream (unfortunately) and it seems to be a trigger food for me. I just quit buying it altogether.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 19:13

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default I have trouble with nuts too

If I've had a couple Miller Lites, I could easily munch my way through 1,000 calories of nuts. I've done it more than once. Almonds, pistachios, mmmm good. Sam's Club sells peanuts in portion-controlled one-ounce packages, 24 packages to a box. Lately I've been buying those. I know it's expensive to pay for all that packaging, but it does help me with portion control. I wish I could find salted almonds packaged that way.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 12:48

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

If I'm not careful, I can eat through a LOT of nuts - macadamias, almonds, or whatever else is nearby. Have to watch that portion control!

The spicy pork skins are also habit-forming and can disappear without my noticing.

I'm pretty good with the cheese most of the time.

Funny how it is never something like, say, celery that induces cravings!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 17:08

Plan: atkins 20 g a day
Stats: 211/172/185 Male 70 inches
BF:not real sure
Progress: 150%

Portion control seems to be the theme around here. Easier said than done.

I have found that I only allow "munchies" to be eaten at work, so I can portion it out at home first. Home is for meals, I try to stay away from the munchies at home where your choices are usually limitless.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 13:56

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Nuts are hateful in my book. I had been stalled for so long and finally cut out nuts, peanut butter/almond butter and most of the cream cheese. Got me started again, but of course, the temptations were still in the house. Needless to say, I am slightly stalled again (and up a few for other reasons) and have decided nuts are not allowed in my house anymore!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 269/224/162 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Trigger Foods

Almonds, Pumkin Seeds, Medium Cheddar Cheese, Feta Cheese, and the worst of all...Guiness Stout Dark Beer. Almond butter - I'm afraid to even try this stuff 'cause I know I'll be hooked on it. I already have to fight with myself everytime I pass the peanut butter idle. I stop look at the peanut butter, dream of eating peanut butter and then I leave 'cause I know this is definetly a trigger food for me. The Cheddar Cheese and the Guiness Stout Dark Beer have been my stallers for the past two months. I have finally made a concious effort to limit my cheese to no more than an ounce per day as I was using this as my snack food and found myself eating 5 to 6 ounces of this stuff per day. As for the Guiness Stout, I like to party on the weekends and have been downing this stuff like no tomorrow. I finally went out this weekend and vowed not to drink Guiness Stout. Instead I had 1 glass of white dry wine. It was ok, but truthfully I wish I hadn't even drank that. Anyway, finally dropped a few pounds...finally made it past the 230 mark which it seems like I have been at forever. I drop...I gain...I drop...I gain. Finally made it to the 220's...currently at 228. YIPPIE! Increased my workout from 2 and 3 mile walks to include riding my bike to work daily which is 3.5 miles each way. So, things are beginning to look up again. Hoping to lose at least 30 lbs. by the Christmas holidays. Would like to lose 40lbs., but trying to be somewhat realistic.